Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Announcements and Suggestions Box
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2010
Ob-la-di, Ob-la-da :)

Sixpoint is on a distinguished road
Google Chrome and "New Posts"

I use Internet Explorer when I'm at work. On IE, beside the "New Posts" button, there's a little "down arrow" that I can click and it gives me options such as New Posts - No Politics.

At home I use Google Chrome. MUCH slicker and faster browser, in my experience and on my machine. But Chrome doesn't display that little arrow. I've dug around in the settings on Chrome, but I can't get it to do that. Anyone have any ideas on that?

You see, I'm SICK of seeing all the politics threads mixed in with new posts. Would love to have that option back. If I want politics, I'll go to a political forum. But that's neither here nor there, I suppose. Just wondering about the technical features of Chrome.

Thanks

Peace,

6P
Old 12-05-2010
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
I use Chrome too, for the reasons you've stated. There are quite a few differences to the site with Chrome than other browsers. Besides what you've brought up, Chrome doesn't 'see' the avatars or profile pictures of some (not all) users, clicking on a username goes direct to profile rather than a drop down with options are another couple of Chrome's idiosyncrasies.

I have no explanation either, have looked through the rather minimal 'settings' available and see nothing there that might explain these glitches. But I'm willing to tolerate that in exchange for its other features.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-05-2010

When you go to someone's profile to see a pic and it doesn't show up with Chrome, right clicking and selecting open in new tab will usually show it for me. YMMV.

But yeah - Especially for this site, Chrome just runs too well for me to switch back.

And, in all fairness, I suppose that the minimal settings may be one of the reasons that it does run so slickly.

Peace,

6P
Old 12-05-2010

scotthenry is on a distinguished road
I imagine that it is really browser-specific code, and is either IE only or hasn't been updated to include Chrome or Chromium. I just tried it on Midori (which is also based on WebKit) and Firefox, and there is no such drop-down in them either. I can't test with IE (running Linux only here). So I would guess that whoever wrote the forum code only ever tested it with IE.
Old 12-05-2010

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Thanks for bringing this up, Sixpoint. I thought i was just me, so it is nice tow know i am not alone.
Hey, what's wrong with getting new Off-topic posts? Some of my best work is there.
*bljones is pondering*
Er, maybe that IS what's wrong with off-topic posts.
*bljones is pondering further*
Old 12-05-2010

There's nothing at all wrong with Off-topic; some of my favorite posts have been Off-topic.

It's the Political stuff...probably never going to be interested in any political discussion (and if I was, I'd go to a forum dedicated to it)...and to be honest, some of the political posts p*ss me off just looking at the title.

Total buzz kill for me. I come here to hear about something that I really enjoy, not to see things that p*ss me off.

Last edited by Sixpoint; 12-05-2010 at 04:52 PM. Reason: Clarification