SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Announcements and Suggestions Box (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/announcements-suggestions-box/)
-   -   Ads making website slow (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/announcements-suggestions-box/70917-ads-making-website-slow.html)

mxtommy 12-28-2010 01:14 PM

Ads making website slow

Hi,

It just may be me, but today this site was destroying my browser. My CPU went to 100% every time I had a sailnet page open. Upon closing the tab with sailnet, cpu returned to normal. A bit of debugging and I'm 99% sure it was the Furono ads. I blocked ad.afy11.net via my hosts file (it is the source of the ad) and now I can browse sailnet without issues.

The ad in question was an orange holiday theme ad, and was displayed 3-4 times on the website. It was either flash or java (sorry didn't check).

For info, here's my setup: Macbook Pro 2.4ghz, 4gb of ram, with Firefox.

Thanks!

canadianseamonkey 12-29-2010 07:52 AM

This is site is brutaly slow lately. I don't even bother to visit daily anymore cause I can't stand the delay it causes. I hope it is fixed soon.

arf145 01-02-2011 12:19 PM

Have been experiencing the same problem as mxtommy--was having difficulty even posting here. Pointed them to nowhere in my hosts (thanks MX) and now look to be good. Ads shouldn't use over half your processor--Furono needs to be spanked.

smackdaddy 03-22-2011 01:24 PM

SN, guys, you've got to be kidding me. This cursor-sticky ad WITH EACH NEW PAGE is freakin' ridiculous. Just when it seems you guys have worked out all the previous bugs with the ads, you throw this wank on us?

I've not used Ad-Block to this point...but this new AdBull is beyond annoying.

Kill it. Please.

night0wl 03-22-2011 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smackdaddy (Post 711644)
SN, guys, you've got to be kidding me. This cursor-sticky ad WITH EACH NEW PAGE is freakin' ridiculous. Just when it seems you guys have worked out all the previous bugs with the ads, you throw this wank on us?

I've not used Ad-Block to this point...but this new AdBull is beyond annoying.

Kill it. Please.

WTF is this ad...I just posted a thread on this. A cursor following ad...is just ridiculous. I too have avoided ad-block, but this is it...tipping point reached and threshhold crossed.

therapy23 03-22-2011 06:38 PM

That is why a lot of folks don't bother coming here much these days.

Too bad too as I do like some of the discussions.

smackdaddy 03-22-2011 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by therapy23 (Post 711766)
That is why a lot of folks don't bother coming here much these days.

Too bad too as I do like some of the discussions.

C'mon therapy, the traffic has steadily increased since the ad craziness of last December/January.

As a matter of fact, the numbers have done nothing but climb over the past couple of years (except for the above hiccup).

So it's all good.

tdw 03-22-2011 07:21 PM

Yeah the issue of traffic and whether or not SailNet is what it once was is an interesting topic.

Reality is that SailNet traffic has steadily increased over time albeit with the occasional blip downwards. A comparison of traffic between the major international sailing forums shows that the numbers in comparison to Sailing Anarchy, Cruisers Forums, YBW and SailNet have shown an upward trend for SailNet this calendar year of around 35%. YBW is currently running at number one followed by SailNet, Cruisers Forum and then Sailing Anarchy.

That said the difference between the four is minute in real terms and can change markedly over any quarter. SA e.g. received a big fillip during the AC and is down since, SN has had a big increase this year but is down the last seven days.

Like all forums SailNet ultimately lives and breathes from the input of the posters. If we have some vibrant well attended threads (PCP's wonderful 'Interesting Sailboats' thread is a perfect example) then we thrive. Enter a boring phase and the post count dives. Such it is.

Its also fair to say that quantity does not imply quality, that is far more subjective.

smackdaddy 03-22-2011 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tdw (Post 711782)
Yeah the issue of traffic and whether or not SailNet is what it once was is an interesting topic.

Reality is that SailNet traffic has steadily increased over time albeit with the occasional blip downwards. A comparison of traffic between the major international sailing forums shows that the numbers in comparison to Sailing Anarchy, Cruisers Forums, YBW and SailNet have shown an upward trend for SailNet this calendar year of around 35%. YBW is currently running at number one followed by SailNet, Cruisers Forum and then Sailing Anarchy.

That said the difference between the four is minute in real terms and can change markedly over any quarter. SA e.g. received a big fillip during the AC and is down since, SN has had a big increase this year but is down the last seven days.

Like all forums SailNet ultimately lives and breathes from the input of the posters. If we have some vibrant well attended threads (PCP's wonderful 'Interesting Sailboats' thread is a perfect example) then we thrive. Enter a boring phase and the post count dives. Such it is.

Its also fair to say that quantity does not imply quality, that is far more subjective.

Good points. It's pretty much the antithesis of the crap some doom-and-gloomers try to spin. SN is doing really well....and the reports of its demise/murder/death/whatever are greatly exaggerated...and obviously ridiculous. This place rocks!

Now about that "Interesting Sailboats" thread...

Daveinet 03-22-2011 08:56 PM

What ads? Haven't seen a pop up ad in years. Firefox and adblock plus. There are ads on the side bars, which is fine, but nothing interfering.