Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Announcements and Suggestions Box
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2010

mxtommy is on a distinguished road
Ads making website slow

Hi,

It just may be me, but today this site was destroying my browser. My CPU went to 100% every time I had a sailnet page open. Upon closing the tab with sailnet, cpu returned to normal. A bit of debugging and I'm 99% sure it was the Furono ads. I blocked ad.afy11.net via my hosts file (it is the source of the ad) and now I can browse sailnet without issues.

The ad in question was an orange holiday theme ad, and was displayed 3-4 times on the website. It was either flash or java (sorry didn't check).

For info, here's my setup: Macbook Pro 2.4ghz, 4gb of ram, with Firefox.

Thanks!

Last edited by mxtommy; 12-28-2010 at 01:15 PM. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-29-2010
Caribbean Surveyor

canadianseamonkey is on a distinguished road
This is site is brutaly slow lately. I don't even bother to visit daily anymore cause I can't stand the delay it causes. I hope it is fixed soon.
Old 01-02-2011
Irrationally Exuberant

arf145 is on a distinguished road
Have been experiencing the same problem as mxtommy--was having difficulty even posting here. Pointed them to nowhere in my hosts (thanks MX) and now look to be good. Ads shouldn't use over half your processor--Furono needs to be spanked.

2000 Beneteau 331
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy ~ Steven Wright
Old 03-22-2011
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
SN, guys, you've got to be kidding me. This cursor-sticky ad WITH EACH NEW PAGE is freakin' ridiculous. Just when it seems you guys have worked out all the previous bugs with the ads, you throw this wank on us?

I've not used Ad-Block to this point...but this new AdBull is beyond annoying.

Kill it. Please.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 03-22-2011

night0wl is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
SN, guys, you've got to be kidding me. This cursor-sticky ad WITH EACH NEW PAGE is freakin' ridiculous. Just when it seems you guys have worked out all the previous bugs with the ads, you throw this wank on us?

I've not used Ad-Block to this point...but this new AdBull is beyond annoying.

Kill it. Please.
WTF is this ad...I just posted a thread on this. A cursor following ad...is just ridiculous. I too have avoided ad-block, but this is it...tipping point reached and threshhold crossed.
Old 03-22-2011
Back to just the Jon boat

therapy23 is on a distinguished road
That is why a lot of folks don't bother coming here much these days.

Too bad too as I do like some of the discussions.
Old 03-22-2011
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by therapy23 View Post
That is why a lot of folks don't bother coming here much these days.

Too bad too as I do like some of the discussions.
C'mon therapy, the traffic has steadily increased since the ad craziness of last December/January.

As a matter of fact, the numbers have done nothing but climb over the past couple of years (except for the above hiccup).

So it's all good.

Old 03-22-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Yeah the issue of traffic and whether or not SailNet is what it once was is an interesting topic.

Reality is that SailNet traffic has steadily increased over time albeit with the occasional blip downwards. A comparison of traffic between the major international sailing forums shows that the numbers in comparison to Sailing Anarchy, Cruisers Forums, YBW and SailNet have shown an upward trend for SailNet this calendar year of around 35%. YBW is currently running at number one followed by SailNet, Cruisers Forum and then Sailing Anarchy.

That said the difference between the four is minute in real terms and can change markedly over any quarter. SA e.g. received a big fillip during the AC and is down since, SN has had a big increase this year but is down the last seven days.

Like all forums SailNet ultimately lives and breathes from the input of the posters. If we have some vibrant well attended threads (PCP's wonderful 'Interesting Sailboats' thread is a perfect example) then we thrive. Enter a boring phase and the post count dives. Such it is.

Its also fair to say that quantity does not imply quality, that is far more subjective.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.

Last edited by tdw; 03-22-2011 at 07:24 PM.
Old 03-22-2011
Last Man Standing

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
Yeah the issue of traffic and whether or not SailNet is what it once was is an interesting topic.

Reality is that SailNet traffic has steadily increased over time albeit with the occasional blip downwards. A comparison of traffic between the major international sailing forums shows that the numbers in comparison to Sailing Anarchy, Cruisers Forums, YBW and SailNet have shown an upward trend for SailNet this calendar year of around 35%. YBW is currently running at number one followed by SailNet, Cruisers Forum and then Sailing Anarchy.

That said the difference between the four is minute in real terms and can change markedly over any quarter. SA e.g. received a big fillip during the AC and is down since, SN has had a big increase this year but is down the last seven days.

Like all forums SailNet ultimately lives and breathes from the input of the posters. If we have some vibrant well attended threads (PCP's wonderful 'Interesting Sailboats' thread is a perfect example) then we thrive. Enter a boring phase and the post count dives. Such it is.

Its also fair to say that quantity does not imply quality, that is far more subjective.
Good points. It's pretty much the antithesis of the crap some doom-and-gloomers try to spin. SN is doing really well....and the reports of its demise/murder/death/whatever are greatly exaggerated...and obviously ridiculous. This place rocks!

Now about that "Interesting Sailboats" thread...

Old 03-22-2011

Daveinet is on a distinguished road
What ads? Haven't seen a pop up ad in years. Firefox and adblock plus. There are ads on the side bars, which is fine, but nothing interfering.
Hobie 14'
Sunfish project boat

Sailing a large boat on a small lake is very tacky.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.