Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Announcements and Suggestions Box
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2011
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough
It felt really good to have two big sons.
Attached Thumbnails
In Memory of Spike Perry-max-bob-spike-surf-4.jpg  
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-03-2011
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
I have two little sons...7 and 11. I'll be looking for advice.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 05-03-2011
grumpy old man

Smack:
I am an expert and I'll be here for you.

Rule No. 1:
You always have to clean the toilets. It's a guy thing.
"So I missed by 6". I was close."

Rule No. 2:
And this is so important.
Be firm and protective. Tell them "I don't like having to do this but I am doing it because I love you." Being overprotective is not such a bad thing if you explain to them why you are doing it.

Rule No. 3:
Always tell them that you love them. Never, ever let that be in doubt. It's corny but it is important.

Rule No 4:
Never doubt there ability to understand.

There are many more rules to follow. But hell, 7 and 11. They are pretty much cast in stone by now. Doesn't matter. If you need advice just ask. The teenage years are a blast.
Old 05-03-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
Smackers:
For all the support you have provided in these dark days you will always be welcome in my home. Hell, I'll even give you clean sheets.

It has been difficult but there are some people like you who have helped me thru it without pissing in my pocket. I say that with all the sincerity I can muster at the keyboard.

You have no idea and I'd like to keep it that way.

So,,,,come on up to the beach shack. We'll get the Hungster down here from SA and we will relax.

I'll keep the best room ready for you.
I'll put a wombat on the barby for you.
I'll wear my HTFU hat.
Oi ... watch it ... anyway, wombat is tough and you can never get rid of all the hair ..

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 05-03-2011

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Don;t trust them son things smack, not sure they worked for me and my two,,,,,, or maybe because I have 2 daughters too.........

If you are up, make sure you stop by here, I'm tween Sea-Tac and bobs.

As far as wombats being tough.....just marinate them a bit, maybe some scotch, there are some good wines, or is that whine!...........

Marty
Old 05-04-2011

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
By the way Bob,

Where is a pic of the new hat?
Old 05-04-2011
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Bob,

I just saw this. My deepest condonlences.

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 05-04-2011
Junior Senior

heinzir is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Smack:
I am an expert and I'll be here for you.

Rule No. 1:
You always have to clean the toilets. It's a guy thing.
"So I missed by 6". I was close."

Rule No. 2:
And this is so important.
Be firm and protective. Tell them "I don't like having to do this but I am doing it because I love you." Being overprotective is not such a bad thing if you explain to them why you are doing it.

Rule No. 3:
Always tell them that you love them. Never, ever let that be in doubt. It's corny but it is important.

Rule No 4:
Never doubt there ability to understand.

There are many more rules to follow. But hell, 7 and 11. They are pretty much cast in stone by now. Doesn't matter. If you need advice just ask. The teenage years are a blast.
That sounds like great advice. I'd love to see the rest of the rules. My wife and I are in our early 60s and raising three grandchildren, ages 11, 10, and 4. They have their own El Toro and the two older ones are scheduled for sailing lessons when school is out.

On another note, I am very sorry for your loss. I hope I am not intruding on your grief or being insensitive by asking about Spike's illness. As soon as I read he had a "viral infection" on another forum I thought "that sounds a lot like what I had." I went into the hospital last May 6 and spent over two months there with an additional six months of physical therapy. I am almost fully recovered now but the doctors are surprised that I am alive at all. I started out with flu-like symptoms. The hospital eventually diagnosed CMV (cytomegalovirus) and treated me for that but I got worse. I went into heart failure, lung failure, kidney failure, etc. The doctors were kept busy putting out fires but couldn't find the source of the problem. I got worse and worse. My family made the decision to transfer me to another hospital (U of M). After several weeks there and after a lung biopsy they found the problem to be a combination of CMV and BOOP (Bronchiolitis obliterans with organizing pneumonia) and were finally able to treat it with very high doses of steroids along with two dozen other medications. I eventually got better but when I was released from the hospital I was pretty much an invalid: on oxygen, unable to walk w/o a walker, etc.

I'm sorry to bore you with my problems; they are nothing compared to the loss of a child, no matter how old. I just thought Spike's illness sounded strangely similar to mine.

Old 05-05-2011
grumpy old man

Zir:
Spike died of acute bacterial pneumonia. It happened within four days of the onset of flu like symptoms. He went to the doctor twice and died 24 hours after seeing the doctor, or there abouts. That's all I want to say.

My boys learned to sail in an El Toro.

Ski:
I'll post a pic of me in my new hat soon.
Old 05-05-2011
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Zir:
Spike died of acute bacterial pneumonia. It happened within four days of the onset of flu like symptoms. He went to the doctor twice and died 24 hours after seeing the doctor, or there abouts. That's all I want to say.

My boys learned to sail in an El Toro.

Ski:
I'll post a pic of me in my new hat soon.
We lost my wife's little sister at 12 years old a few years back on the same thing. I think it lasted 3 days. MSRA bacteria. She was a healthy young girl. It was very hard to believe that even with all of todays technology, we could lose a 12 year old girl like that in one of the best hospitals in Dallas. We just came to accept that she had better places she wanted to go and none of us were in control.

Again, I am very sorry for your loss. I have no doubts he was a super kid. All my familys thoughts.

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.sailnet.com/forums/announcements-suggestions-box/73967-memory-spike-perry.html
Posted By For Type Date
In Memory of Spike Perry - sailing answers This thread Refback 04-04-2014 07:27 AM
In Memory of Spike Perry - SailNet Community This thread Refback 04-27-2011 04:41 PM