Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Announcements and Suggestions Box
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2011

lyonscmpy is on a distinguished road
fisher panda generator

well i am another dissatisfied fisher panda owner this is my second one and its bad already this one didnt make 1000 hrs either it leaked water in its enclosure and ruin the back end of genset. bad design it needs bigger drain holes in the bottom of enclosure so if and when this happens you my have a chance to find out its leaking before its to late.thinking of designing a new enclosure to have more room to work on it with out having to pull it out every time(this will make the 5th time in 3 years)has anybody out there done this have had many other problems with it will post more later help
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-03-2011

boldrider is on a distinguished road
Panda Genset problems

I just stumbled onto your notice of Panda problems. I have a Fischer Panda Genset on my HR39---apparently original equipment (this boat is a 2000, and I am the second owner). The engine has about 400 hours on it. I am not presently aboard, and do not have the model, but think it is a 4000 (?)
I recently started it up for the first time this year, while at anchor in a remote spot. It was not charging the batteries. I finally, and belatedly opened the ship engine bay, where the Genset lives, and water was pouring out of the bottom of the pan. Bilges were full, bilge pump came on, etc., etc.
Subsequent checking showed no apparent hose breaks or loose clamps. I suspect leaking in the generator cooling jacket, and probable fried generator. The boat is in British Columbia, and the nearest dealer is about 65 miles away in Sidney, BC.
I am wondering what my next move is. Do I have a mechanic remove the set and ship it 1) to the service dealer, or 2) ship it to PF in the US? Do I try to locate a local technician who might effect repairs? Or, do I punt, and write this thing off as a lost cause? In any event, I expect this is going to amount to a couple of Boat Bucks.
Any advice you can supply will be greatly appreciated. E-mail is boldrider@hotmail.com
Thanks,
Old 11-12-2011

Capt Len is on a distinguished road
If you are going to punt.make a side trip to Deer Harbour and pick up a little Kubota gen set. Very pleased with mine. Runs a 250 amp alt and hydraulics.
Old 11-13-2011

Zanshin is on a distinguished road
The Fischer Panda mixing elbow is made of aluminum with relatively thin walls. The combination of of hot exhaust gas, steam, and boiling salt water is the best for longevity and most likely this mixing elbow allowed all that water to escape into the bilges.

While I, too, have had my problems with Fischer Panda in the past (I've documented it on my web site), I don't like forum "bombing runs" where two posters, on their first post, complain about a product or company. Most often these are disgruntled customers who search for every boat- and sailing related forum on the web, sign up, and begin to flame about their particular problem. Only time and future posts will tell if I might have been too pessimistic regarding motives.

Thus

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-13-2011
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
While I, too, have had my problems with Fischer Panda in the past (I've documented it on my web site), I don't like forum "bombing runs" where two posters, on their first post, complain about a product or company. Most often these are disgruntled customers who search for every boat- and sailing related forum on the web, sign up, and begin to flame about their particular problem. Only time and future posts will tell if I might have been too pessimistic regarding motives.

Thus
Amen.

The Panda is, generally, a good unit but it is maintenance intensive. If one does not keep up with the maintenance, they can be problemsome. You do not indicate whether yours is a raw-water or fresh-water cooled unit although, from your comments on Sailnet, if not the mixing elbow, I suspect it is a raw water unit on which the sacrificial anode in the water jacket has given up (they must be replaced periodically). For help with your system you should contact either Jeff Till (jtill@fischerpanda.com) sales manager at Panda and/or Bob Grubert (bgrubert@fischerpanda.com) in technical services.

We have had a 4.2KW Panda on our boat since May 2002 and have only had two problems. One due to an improperly installed control box and another due to a defective pump that was replaced by Panda at no cost 6 years after we bought the unit. If the maintenance is done, the units are very reliable.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."