Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Announcements and Suggestions Box
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2011

jim francis is on a distinguished road
gelcoat cracks beneteau 361

I have a lightly used fresh water only 2003 beneteau 361. Numberous fine cracks have appeared in the gelcoat on the deck as well as in the fiberglass of the steering pedestal and cockpit seats. Is this a common problem or a manufacturing defect? The cracks began to appear when the boat was new and have continued to develop. Beneteau and the local dealer have not been helpful. Has anyone else experienced this problem with their beneteau?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-09-2011
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Jim--

It is not unusual to find some stress-cracks at tightly radiused corners, particularly if the yacht's been worked hard but finding them in flat deck areas is very uncommon in my experience. Unfortunately, the boat is now 8 years old or so (you did say 2003) and it is a bit late to be going back to Beneteau at this point. Just how bad are these cracks you describe.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 07-09-2011

gelcoat cracks

cracks are generally 2-4 inches in length in flat areas or deck. Has developed extensive cracking at radius corners of cockpit seat/lazarette covers. Originally spoke with Beneteau dealer as they began to develop and received minimal to no help. Beneteau equally unhelpful. Dealer did attempt several repairs in non skid but discolored and cracks have returned. Very unhappy with the quality.
Old 07-10-2011
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
It sounds as if you may have unusually brittle gel-coat and I wonder whether boats built at the same time as yours--with the same gel-coat batch-are having similar problems. For what its worth, Beneteau does sell Gel-Coat patch kits in matched colors although I do not know old the boats may be before the repair kits become unavailable. Another alternative is repair kit source is Spectrum Color I have used the Spectrum kit and found it pretty good. Frankly, I also found that a thin mix of MarineTex, applied sparingly and "polished" with 600 and then 1000 grit works pretty well too.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 07-10-2011

Thanks
Old 11-14-2011

homevet is on a distinguished road
Jim
I have a 2008 Beneteau 40 with the same problem. Again, the dealer has made some repairs, but they and Beneteau say it is normal. Mine existed at time of purchase- boat was two years old and had sat in the yard one year and only lightly sailed as a demo the next year. I have also noted very thin gelcoat in places- almost like it is worn through. My speculation is that this is poor construction by Beneteau. There have been other similiar problems with the boat. Have you figured a way to repair all these cracks?
Old 11-14-2011

MarkSF is on a distinguished road
I was looking at my 84 Bristol yesterday, and there are a couple of spots with gelcoat cracks. They are all at points where stress is concentrated when crew move around.

A few cracks on the deck where you first step when boarding the boat. A few more on the corner by the lazarette when you would step as you enter the cockpit. A couple of spots at the rear, adjacent to the cleats. (can see those causing some stress)

I was alarmed at the time, now I feel better
Old 11-14-2011

MarkSF is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
It sounds as if you may have unusually brittle gel-coat and I wonder whether boats built at the same time as yours--with the same gel-coat batch-are having similar problems. For what its worth, Beneteau does sell Gel-Coat patch kits in matched colors although I do not know old the boats may be before the repair kits become unavailable. Another alternative is repair kit source is Spectrum Color I have used the Spectrum kit and found it pretty good. Frankly, I also found that a thin mix of MarineTex, applied sparingly and "polished" with 600 and then 1000 grit works pretty well too.
I tried to find some info on the UV resistance of the white MarineTex, and didn't really. Do you think it has good lifetime with respect to UV? Or should it be painted over?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.