Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Announcements and Suggestions Box
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2011
Señor Member

PorFin is on a distinguished road
Dead Souls in SN

I've never paid much attention to the membership numbers here. Right now it's up to 187,120, of which about 20% are "active" (whatever that means...)

However, I never realized (until I went to try and find a member's profile the hard way) that SN has apparently never purged its membership rolls. I noticed that there's a sizable majority (rough guess 80%?) that have identical join and last activity dates. This would seem to indicate they visited one day, joined, and never returned.

Any reason the dead souls can't be put to rest?

I mean, if somebody joined on 3 Sept 2004 and whose last activity was 3 Sept 2004, I'm betting they ain't coming back.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-12-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
I suspect that isn't the way membership is described to the advertisers. Those lost souls are probably lurking without logging on........

Seriously, I did search a topic a while back and sent a PM to a member that I subsequently realized hadn't been logged on in years. It may help to time out somehow.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 09-12-2011
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I suspect that isn't the way membership is described to the advertisers. Those lost souls are probably lurking without logging on........
I lurked for six years (off and on, more off than on) before I posted my first message.

But I still made purchases from the Sailnet store even though I wasn't visiting the forum. I suspect that it's worth it to them to let the lurkers lurk or whatever they're doing while not posting, especially if it doesn't cost them anything to let the lurkers be.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 09-12-2011
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post

Seriously, I did search a topic a while back and sent a PM to a member that I subsequently realized hadn't been logged on in years. It may help to time out somehow.
OK, I'll bite -- so there's a quantitative difference between a lurker who has (but never uses) a username and one who does not. What's to keep someone from just taking a day to create hundreds of bogus members? Think how many "members" we could add in a couple of weeks! Would the advertisers even notice/care?

I'd propose a five year cut off for virtual life support -- that'd cull the ranks considerably.

(For those who haven't seen what I'm ranting about, check out any random page of the member list.)

Last edited by PorFin; 09-12-2011 at 03:56 PM.
Old 09-12-2011
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
I lurked for six years (off and on, more off than on) before I posted my first message.

But I still made purchases from the Sailnet store even though I wasn't visiting the forum. I suspect that it's worth it to them to let the lurkers lurk or whatever they're doing while not posting, especially if it doesn't cost them anything to let the lurkers be.
Good point -- I wasn't aware you needed a membership to buy from the ship's store.
Old 09-12-2011
A mod and her dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorFin View Post
Good point -- I wasn't aware you needed a membership to buy from the ship's store.
I don't know that you need to register to use the store. It's just that when I found Sailnet I was buying or just bought my first sailboat and didn't yet know enough to do anything but poke around the site aimlessly. A year or two later I was ready to start buying stuff and my registration was already in place. Later on down the road, after trying out several other sailing forums, I came back to this one as the most useful, supportaive and active.

I'm kind of curious why it bothers you?

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Old 09-12-2011
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
I'm kind of curious why it bothers you?
I spent some quality time today trying to find a member's profile -- by looking it up in the member's list. I was greeted by page after page after page (after page after page -- you see where this is going right? Thought so.) of folks who dropped in for a beer years ago and never returned. After a (long) while it started to annoy me.

I get it that member numbers help make SN an attractive place for advertisers. I also get it that not everyone who joins wants to contribute (which is perfectly OK).

I'll be the first to admit that if this is what's scrunching my boxers, then I got no troubles at all.
Old 09-12-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
For a time I spent about an hour every couple of days purging the list of 'members'
who, while not active 'spammers' joined for reasons undetermined (probably automated somehow) often with signature links to non related commercial sites or whatever. I'd estimate at the time there would be 10-20 such 'joins' every few days.

Never could figure out what they gained by 'joining' but eventually got tired of the thankless job of trying to purge them (also one time inadvertantly got rid of a legitimate join)

I suspect that a large number of the published 'membership' would fall into that category.

Your time based filter-out idea has merit, but that would be an admin function, beyond our capability as mere mods..... A more rigorous signup routine would likely discourage a lot of that too..

btw using the search function for the user will at least get you to a post, and then to the profile fairly quickly.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Last edited by Faster; 09-12-2011 at 04:41 PM.
Old 09-12-2011
A mod and her dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorFin View Post
I'll be the first to admit that if this is what's scrunching my boxers, ...
It was worth asking for that. Understood about the search frustration.

What annoys me more than people who post once or twice and leave are the people who clearly post only to promote their product (or agenda) and contribute nothing.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Old 09-12-2011

Andyman is on a distinguished road
It's all part of the 80/20 rule.
Pareto principle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia