Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Announcements and Suggestions Box
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2011

rlpeeples88 is on a distinguished road
Categorization Idea for Forum

I'm new to this website and forum, and I have a suggestion.

Just as you can view forums based on boat make and models, so should you be able to look up maintenance troubleshooting solutions under the gear and maintenance forums.

So, say I have a rigging problem with my 272 O'Day. I should be able to access a rigging problem forum by clicking forums, Oday forum, Oday rigging forum.

I think this would narrow the search process down for someone whos trying to find a solution to a problem that's already been answered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-28-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
That seems logical in theory. However, most posters seem to use general discussion or gear and maintenance for everything.

Personally, I would advocate fewer sub forums, as they aren't being used well.

No need to worry about our slightly diff views. I've yet to see the admins (diff from the moderators) even acknowledge these suggestions, let alone actual technical problems.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 10-02-2011
Irrationally Exuberant

arf145 is on a distinguished road
I'm with Minnewaska: the many subforums just make it difficult to go through posts. Gear & Maintenance, fine. But the breakouts for Diesel, Atomic 4, Electrical? Just more barriers to hop over.

But since so many issues--maybe even most--cross boat brands and models, I would hate to see posts hidden off in smaller and smaller bins. Even a rigging problem on particular sailboat can apply to many others. The vast majority of what I have learned here that has helped me take care of my Pearson 28-2 was not posted about 28-2's or even Pearsons.

Instead of putting so many categories up front, it might be nice if we could tag a post (or a thread) with a search tag, such as a particular boat. That might actually help searching but not hide it away in that bin. But then what would really help would be a decent search function, which Sailnet most definitely lacks.

2000 Beneteau 331
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy ~ Steven Wright

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.