Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Announcements and Suggestions Box
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2011
Sunsets and Warm Beer....

LandLocked66c is on a distinguished road
Interesting, I haven't seen anything. Although I run linux software appliances at the house to protect me with "real time" scanning.

You can't steer a boat that isn't moving? Just like a life - P. Lutus
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-01-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by LandLocked66c View Post
Interesting, I haven't seen anything. Although I run linux software appliances at the house to protect me with "real time" scanning.
What do you for the scanning ? I'm running Linux Ubuntu at home and have yet to find a Linux scanner. (or am I misreading you post ?)

Cheers

Andrew

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 12-01-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
What do you for the scanning ? I'm running Linux Ubuntu at home and have yet to find a Linux scanner. (or am I misreading you post ?)

Cheers

Andrew
I run an Untangle server as well as pfsense. There are a lot of great distro's out there. The Untangle server is transparent and filters what comes in and also blocks bad sites, adware, malware and so on along with a ton of other options. The pfsense is my firewall as well as partial blocking and a transparent web proxy to speed up my browsing. The difference is truly amazing. All you need are some old machines to run these on along with two nic cards per box.
tdw likes this.

Old 12-02-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by LandLocked66c View Post
I run an Untangle server as well as pfsense. There are a lot of great distro's out there. The Untangle server is transparent and filters what comes in and also blocks bad sites, adware, malware and so on along with a ton of other options. The pfsense is my firewall as well as partial blocking and a transparent web proxy to speed up my browsing. The difference is truly amazing. All you need are some old machines to run these on along with two nic cards per box.
Thanks muchly though I confess I need to do some homework before I fully understand.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 12-02-2011

steel is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by landmineop View Post
The only information from Norton is as follows: Rule "Default Block SSP" blocked (10.0.0.23, Port(2869) ). Inbound TCP connection. There wre several that hit all at once. Sure glad I have Norton.
That's like well imagine you had Norton for your phone. And Norton for your phone told you that it had blocked an incoming phone call from a telemarketer who was trying to scam you. It didn't necessarily save you from anything. Computers receive random incoming connections all the time just like houses receive solicitors. Often they're out scanning the Internet looking for some old piece of software to take advantage of.

Anyway, I don't think that message you got was related to Sailnet.

But where is the malicious code that someones AV software is detecting? Is there an advertisement which is causing it? Did someone post a link to a malicious website in one of their postings?

CharlieCobra, I saw the fake Google link but where did that come from? Was it just added to a random place on the sailnet website? Or in an advertisement or someone's post?
Old 12-02-2011

landmineop is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to landmineop
The message I got was NOT from my phone. I was from my laptop. The message was taken directly from the Norton 360 that I use. The ONLY time this has happened is when I am on Sailnet looking at "new posts". It has happened twice in the last few days. When I check Norton it shows several attempts blocked, one right after another. Your opinions that they were not related to Sailnet are way off base. Stick to facts not hot air opinions.
Old 12-05-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

This morning I received warning while viewing new posts that Malware Bytes had blocked access from this site which was thought to contain malicious code. Since then I've checked and found that this site appears on some fifty spam blacklists. Where the problem is coming from I do not know.

IP: 213.13.145.4
Decimal: 3574436100
Hostname: *.blogs.old.sapo.pt
ISP: PT Comunicacoes S.A.
Organization: PT Comunicacoes S.A.

Last edited by tdw; 12-05-2011 at 07:30 PM.
Old 12-05-2011

Strange?

Old 12-06-2011
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel View Post
That's like well imagine you had Norton for your phone. And Norton for your phone told you that it had blocked an incoming phone call from a telemarketer who was trying to scam you. It didn't necessarily save you from anything. Computers receive random incoming connections all the time just like houses receive solicitors. Often they're out scanning the Internet looking for some old piece of software to take advantage of.

Anyway, I don't think that message you got was related to Sailnet.

But where is the malicious code that someones AV software is detecting? Is there an advertisement which is causing it? Did someone post a link to a malicious website in one of their postings?

CharlieCobra, I saw the fake Google link but where did that come from? Was it just added to a random place on the sailnet website? Or in an advertisement or someone's post?
It just popped a redirect to it, probably when a rotating ad ran.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-06-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieCobra View Post
It just popped a redirect to it, probably when a rotating ad ran.
Are you guys using AdBlock Plus?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.