Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Announcements and Suggestions Box
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree63Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Clearing some air.

First up fine fellows and fellowesses it has to be admitted that it was your old Fuzzybot moi, who started this ruckus. Hands up those who guessed it was probably fuzz for brains and not Jeff H or Faster ?

Most importantly, the thread in question was in the Sailing forum not the sewer and the edit concerned was a somewhat feeble attempt to circumvent a number of SailNet rules.

I confess that as a regular over at SA the no edit business has never been a major hassle for me and I certainly did not see the troubles it could cause e.g Maine. Reality is technical articles/posts do need updating from time to time and I can well see his point, though I wish I had been ahead of the game . That Jeff J in admin came up with a thoroughly workable solution is to his credit rather than the Mod Squad's, though yes we did make suggestions.

Were the problems in OffT I doubt any of the Mods nor Admin could have given a flying fornication, it was an attempt to prevent the Sailing forums from being abused. With the new setup rest assured that anyone who tries to play funny buggers with old posts will feel the wrath of Mod.

Now as to the business of Off topic and its overall usefulness, this being a personal aside cos I'm really the only mod who does get involved in the muck pit. I can well see the anti OT brigades's point but personally fall down on the side of the pros. Come and sit on the Womboat and the talk is not going to just about sailing, god forbid that it should be. I, like Bent and PB, to take two very opposite sides of the same coin, love to hammer out the future of our planet even if no one else is listening. These are the kinds of things communities do, the kinds of things a bunch of mates sitting around in the cockpit do.

Anywho, that's my opinion but I did want to again stress that it was not Off Topic that was the root cause of this kerfuffle. So sorry for any inconvenience though maybe just maybe at the end of the day we have ended up in a better place than previously.

Cheers

Andrew B

ps - I spend nearly three days a week on board the Womboat without reliable internet access. The only time I get on line is through my Android. I confess I find the App a pain in the arse and use the standard interface even though it is somewhat clumsy on a small screen.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-06-2012
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Re: Edit Post Button Gone....?

And a thumbs up to you, Your Fuzziness, for your forthrightness.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-06-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: Clearing some air.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
.... but I did want to again stress that it was not Off Topic that was the root cause of this kerfuffle..
Sorry, Fuzzy- t'was I who put that slant on it, I had thought that it all started in OT. I do hope you appreciate we didn't hang you out to dry from the get go!

Anyhoo in the end we actually got PB and Jonesy to agree for a time (however momentarily).... worth it!?!

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 03-06-2012
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
ps - I spend nearly three days a week on board the Womboat without reliable internet access. The only time I get on line is through my Android. I confess I find the App a pain in the arse and use the standard interface even though it is somewhat clumsy on a small screen.
I'm impressed that Andrew wrote all that using a smartphone.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 03-06-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
I'm impressed that Andrew wrote all that using a smartphone.

Good lord Donna, so would I be.

but I didn't so don't be.

the bit about the Android app was to illustrate my low opinion of it when i do use phone on board.

This and that are being were being tapped out on a full size keyboard I assure you.

Hey PB, thanks for you kind words. Hey Fast, never thought you'd hung me out to dry in fact I can well appreciate it that most people would have expected the problem to emerge from the sewer.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 03-07-2012
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Re: Edit Post Button Gone....?

Credit where credit is due Fuzzy.

Cheers

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog