Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Announcements and Suggestions Box
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree63Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2012

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
Maine Sail,

With all due respect to your seniority and informative posts, if you're concerned about updating your previously posted links and information (and I admire you for being so diligent), would it be possible to simply post a new message with the updated information?
Sorry, NO! That is simply unacceptable to me.. Later, when I have some time, I will post some links and explanations of why this sorry excuse for control of MY posts is unacceptable..

Quote:
Maybe put a large-font UPDATE at the top? The original message could be copied with the new links or updated information added.
Because it is simply a BAND-AID. Some of these thread go on for multiple pages and people whi find a post in a search often BAIL once they've gathered what they want or think they want. If one of my posts was outdated and needed updating those updates would go un-seen. I also don't like to add onto old tired threads and revive them if it is not necessary.

Sometimes a similar thread re-appears on another forum and I realize things have changed or I have a BETTER way of showing what I may have been explaing so I go to SN, AS or anywhere else I might have posted it and FIX the outdated stuff for FUTURE reference.

My thread:

Tips For Compound, Polish & Wax (LINK)

Has probably been edited 25 times or more and has been read 41,000 times!!! Do I want that thread to be good? You bet I do!!

People didn't get stuff and I would find a better way if saying it. I left stuff out that I would get questions on, so I took the liberty of ADDING MORE OR BETTER INFO. I found a better photo, or set out to TAKE a better photo and added into the post, to make the post BETTER. That post and STICKY would not be what it is today had I not had the ability to make it was it is and allow it to grow and GET BETTER.

I am SORRY that I am NOT perfect and nail EVERY one of the THOUSANDS of posts I've made on the FIRST try, within 24 hours. I am just NOT that good. I make a conscious effort to MAKE MY POSTS better when they CAN BE.

I simply CAN NOT do that if SN ties my hands and SEIZES 100% control of my posts beyond 24 hours.. If they tie my hands I will simply have to share my information on forums that treat me as an adult, with respect and that ALLOW me to make my posts the BEST they can possibly be for the GOOD OF THE READERS WHO WANT TO READ THEM..

I realize MOST users don't do this, nor do they put as much DETAIL, PHOTOS or links into posts as I do. I can understand why it is tough for some to GRASP the importance of the ability for me to CONTROL MY POSTS, IN PERPETUITY. I have MORE to add to the Compound, Polish & Wax thread this spring. it is GOOD INFO that will ADD to the QUALITY of that post.

Unlike many I am not a post it and forget it type of guy. Sure I miss a LOT of updates that I could do but I post quite a bit. I do, or DID, what I could. If I see a way to make information I have posted more accurate, simple, detailed, in-line with changing standards or WHATEVER I feel, as I have been able to do, I EDIT my posts to make them everything I WANT EXPECT THEM TO BE.

It is completely and utterly ridiculous for me to bring a three year old thread back to life because I fixed a link or had a better PHOTO to illustrate a single point. I do this VERY often, make my posts better, more accurate, better pictures, descriptions and update current SAFETY STANDARDS like ABYC information that may have changed etc. etc. etc.....

Quote:
It seems to me, judging by the yet another sailing movie, iphone apps and books threads, the majority of people don't look at historical posts anyway. Also, even in current threads, many clearly post their message without reading the messages that preceded theirs.

Just a suggestion.
Are you saying people don't use google? You can literally type anything you want to know about sailing into google and in the top ten I can almost guarantee you'll get a SN, CF, SBO or an SA thread. You don't need to search for old threads on SN only, they are searchable on the WWW...

As I said later I will try to explain my side BETTER and with links to threads of mine and why they were edited so folks can get a GRASP as to the importance of this for the betterment of my posts and this forum.

It also comes down to TRUST with me. If SN needs more mods to handle the baby sitting I am MORE than happy to join ranks and help out. Punishing the 99.8% of us for the behavior of .2% is not the kind of "solution" I expect on a forum I have been at and RESPECTED for nearly 10 years.
chef2sail and Minnewaska like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 03-04-2012 at 04:13 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-04-2012
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Ok.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 03-04-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
Sorry, NO! That is simply unacceptable to me.. Later, when I have some time, I will post some links and explanations of why this sorry excuse for control of MY posts is unacceptable..

Because it is simply a BAND-AID. Some of these thread go on for multiple pages and people whi find a post in a search often BAIL once they've gathered what they want or think they want. If one of my posts was outdated and needed updating those updates would go un-seen. I also don't like to add onto old tired threads and revive them if it is not necessary.

Sometimes a similar thread re-appears on another forum and I realize things have changed or I have a BETTER way of showing what I may have been explaing so I go to SN, AS or anywhere else I might have posted it and FIX the outdated stuff for FUTURE reference.

I realize MOST users don't do this, nor do they put as much DETAIL, PHOTOS or links into posts as I do. I can understand why it is tough for some to GRASP the importance of the ability for me to CONTROL MY POSTS.

It is completely and utterly ridiculous for me to bring a three year old thread back to life because I fixed a link or had a better PHOTO to illustrate a point. I do this VERY often, make my posts better, more accurate, better pictures, descriptions and update current SAFETY STANDARDS like ABYC information that may have changed etc. etc. etc.....

So you;re saying people don't use google? Type anything you want to know about sailing into google and in the top ten I can guarantee you'll get a SN, CF, SBO or SA thread...
All of what you have said above is a good reason to revive a thread- if it is new info, if you have found a new solution, how the hell is anyone supposed to know unless the thread is floated back to the top? Oh, yes, I know, I know, I could google everything, but isn't the very purpose of forums like this to share information in a convenient fashion?

I don't think I am entirely odd in this, but whena search engine gives me a thread, I often read the first page then jump to the last page SPECIFICALLY to see if there is new info added, or a refutation of earlier info, or any degree of improvement therein.

I'm not arguing that we lose the edit button, I'm simply arguing that there may be some unseen advantages.

Old 03-04-2012
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
All of what you have said above is a good reason to revive a thread- if it is new info, if you have found a new solution, how the hell is anyone supposed to know unless the thread is floated back to the top?
Good point. I usually use the New Posts feature to read the forums and I don't think that when I edit my post, the thread re-posts as new, only if I add a new message to the end of a thread.
knothead and chef2sail like this.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 03-04-2012
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
If the problem is OffTopic why not just drop the whole mess and only talk about sailing?
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

Old 03-04-2012
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
The edit button isn't the problem. The problem is people who abuse it, hoping to make someone else look bad. There's no need to change anything.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 03-04-2012

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
If the problem is OffTopic why not just drop the whole mess and only talk about sailing?
Because the idea of a "community" only works when you consider the feelings, needs and desires of all the members.
Old 03-04-2012
Superior Sailor

Squidd is on a distinguished road
You could just give Maine Sail Mod "privledges" without the responsibilty and hassle of mod duties...

Then he would have the ability to edit his posts in perpetuity...and maybe add a positive input toward bouncing some of the trouble makers off the island...
Old 03-04-2012

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by knothead View Post
Because the idea of a "community" only works when you consider the feelings, needs and desires of all the members.
And we're letting the 0.2% of people who can't act like adults rule the edit feature for the other 99.8%..?
SVAuspicious and chef2sail like this.

Old 03-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
All of what you have said above is a good reason to revive a thread- if it is new info, if you have found a new solution, how the hell is anyone supposed to know unless the thread is floated back to the top? Oh, yes, I know, I know, I could google everything, but isn't the very purpose of forums like this to share information in a convenient fashion?

I don't think I am entirely odd in this, but whena search engine gives me a thread, I often read the first page then jump to the last page SPECIFICALLY to see if there is new info added, or a refutation of earlier info, or any degree of improvement therein.

I'm not arguing that we lose the edit button, I'm simply arguing that there may be some unseen advantages.

So I should revive an old thread for a change like those below? To me this may be important to MY post but is NOT necessarily a need to revive a dead post over.

Or this minor addition:

These are but two of many examples of "tweaks" I may make that do not necessitate reviving a dead thread and getting yelled at by the "dead thread posse".....

Last edited by Maine Sail; 03-04-2012 at 05:20 PM.