Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Announcements and Suggestions Box
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree63Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2012

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Edit Post Button Gone....?

I woke up this morning and noticed that the button has vanished on my older posts. I wanted to update a couple of dead links and replace an image in a post in the CS Yachts thread but, no can do???

I sent a "report post" message to the mods very early this morning and as of yet have had not one response? At this point, with no response, I feel bringing this to the community is the only option I have..

As one who tries very hard to keep his posts, both old and new, as accurate and up to date as possible, which very often means fixing speling & gramaticul errors (that was on purpose) as well as fixing dead links etc. I have valued the feature we have ALWAYS HAD on SailNet.

Many of my posts are posts that get added onto in the future as testing or other experiments I do unwind and the original post hopefully GROWS in value

For example just today I added to this post HERE. As you can see where it says EDITED 3/3/2012 to add...

For SOME of us the feature is a CRITICAL tool in the shed to keeping information current!!!

PLEASE tell me we are NOT going down the road of Cruisers Forum and the vast level of "distrust" for our members where we need to control their ability to , fix or update their posts when an old thread is revived years, days or months later..

Maybe I am the only one who fixes old post links or catches spelling errrros years later or who might see something to could have been worded differently to make it EASIER for a future reader to understand, and fixes it to reflect that..?

I also often respond from my phone and deal with fixes later in the day when I am at my home or laptop. I can't do this on CF. As of now CF is the only forum I participate on that treats its members with this much distrust & contempt. It is my hope that SN is NOT doing the same in terms of "baby sitting" its valued members.

We should always remember that we have the feature to prevent posts & threads from being "manipulated". All one has to do is use the feature and the original spelling errors and all will be captured in perpetuity. The feature 100% negates the need to lock us down and not allow us to control our own writings. It is intended to negate the need to baby sit our members by disallowing us full control our own posts.

If this is the way SN leadership has decided to move, I certainly HOPE it is NOT, I will be DRASTICALLY cutting back my posting on this site. I hope a few bad apples have not cause SN to go down the "distrust path". Having been here for about TEN YEARS it will be a sad exit. I like this place...

I post very infrequently on CF for this very reason. IMHO the gross levels of paranoia and distrust against its members is nothing short of offensive. I simply do not enjoy taking part in a community that is not built on TRUST and that treats its members this way. A community built on distrust of its members and that thrives on paranoia and ASSUMES all its members are slimy trolls out to manipulate the system is not a place I like to spend my time in. (sorry for the strong opinion).

Many who know me know that I am a mod and admin on another large sailing forum. On our boards we feel VERY, VERY strongly that our members are the ones to to have FULL CONTROL their posts, not the hosts. We have tools to deal with the .5% of members who try to be manipulators. We don not need to distrust and disrespect ALL our members by treating everyone this way.

I have enjoyed the ability to control MY posts on SailNet for nearly TEN YEARS!! Please do not let 2012 be the death of this site for me....

I hope I am wrong, and I wasted 15 minutes for nothing, and that this is nothing more than a glitch that will get fixed...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 03-03-2012 at 02:06 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-03-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Quote:
Maybe I am the only one who fixes old post links or catches spelling errrros years later or who might see something to could have been worded differently to make it EASIER for a future reader to understand, and fixes it to reflect that..?- Maine Sail

I agree. beleive or or not I use it to correct some of my spelling errors ( Hard to tell right)

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 03-03-2012

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
I agree. beleive or or not I use it to correct some of my spelling errors ( Hard to tell right)

Dave

I am forever typing teh and engien as opposed to the and engine......

Please lets let this be a glitch.... Okay back to ripping out stinky SANITATION HOSE.... The 15 minute break was great.....

Old 03-03-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Agree - I have used the EDIT function many times - to correct spelling, to add detail I neglected originally, to delete incorrect references, to delete posts I later found to be in error etc. It is a valuable function.
killarney_sailor likes this.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 03-03-2012
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
Mods?

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 03-03-2012

I will not discuss specifics but this was apparently done mostly to deal with "issues" in the OFF TOPIC forums.

the last time I checked this was primarily a sailing forum and now we're punishing those of use who come here to talk SAILING and who NEVER post in off topic by taking away our ability to keep our posts current, spell checked and the links fresh..

I am going to give the mods & admins a few days to deal with this issue. I know these decisions are never easy.

If you're going to get rid of something on a SAILING forum how about getting rid of topics or forums that have NOTHING at all to do with sailing....????

If this is not fixed, I will be forced post my good bye Sailnet message.

Very immature way to deal with your VALUED members, IMHO. PLEASE treat us like the grown ups we are and simply get rid of the ones who act like children........

Last edited by Maine Sail; 03-03-2012 at 04:54 PM.
Old 03-03-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrd22 View Post
Mods?
OK... a few days back a 24 hour window of opportunity for editing was instituted primarily to avoid certain controversial threads ending up being disjointed affairs with posters deleting comments that had been reacted to leaving a bit of a mess and no continuity (not everyone uses the quote function). Obviously in retrospect there are unintended consequences..

It's the weekend, guys, and not everyone's easily available - please give us a couple of days to look at this thing again...

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 03-03-2012

davidpm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
OK... a few days back a 24 hour window of opportunity for editing was instituted primarily to avoid certain controversial threads ending up being disjointed affairs with posters deleting comments that had been reacted to leaving a bit of a mess and no continuity (not everyone uses the quote function). Obviously in retrospect there are unintended consequences..

It's the weekend, guys, and not everyone's easily available - please give us a couple of days to look at this thing again...
Now you know what it is like to be a congressperson. Unintended consequences of policies are a perennial problem for everyone.

I vote with allowing edits the way it has been.
Look at it this way.
1. If someone posts something controversial and want to take it back and do so, that hole in the thread tells us something important too.
2. Much of the time the deleted information is in another comment as a quote anyway.
3. How really sacred and important that every utterance if recorded for all time. Confusion from missing posts or edited posts are frankly a much less problem that poor grammar and spelling.
4. What is most important, that rants and controversial emotional stuff is preserved in in pristine ugliness. Or that truly educational posts with great information are kept current and easy to read?

There are always going to be exceptions and if a moderator wants to quote something just like any other user can who is to stop them.
Old 03-03-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
I agree with Maine - bring back the Edit. Who cares about whack-a-moles in PWRG? You mods really should just let them go nuts. Very few go in there - and crapstorms are what it's all about anyway.
chef2sail and SloopJonB like this.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 03-03-2012

ccriders is on a distinguished road
The edit function is the best way to correct potentially hazardous information and to help some of us make more sense with what we type. Whenever I want to write something that is accurate, concise and easy to read and understand I normally write it in MS Word and then copy it to whatever media I'm using. So far I have not figured out how to do that on Sailnet.
Granted, in a short post this is not a problem, but in a longer more detailed discussion, like we often get from Main Sail and other very knowledgeable sailors (thank you very much) the edit function is essential.
John