Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Announcements and Suggestions Box
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2012

Mikerej is on a distinguished road
Buying a yacht

I am thinking about buying a Jeanneau 41 through Sunsail in Tortola with their 5 year plan where they will charter it covering all my costs. I would like to know if there is somebody who had that experience.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-14-2012

kd3pc is on a distinguished road
Re: Buying a yacht

"charter it covering all my costs".....third biggest lie in the world.

depending on your cash flow, tax situation and a host of other things, the charter MAY cover 40-60% of the boats expenses...one bad charter or a bad trip for you to Tortola can jinx the whole years profits...

There is no free lunch, Sunsail or any one else.

We chartered our 36CC for two years and pulled out early as the damage to the boat and the expenses to me, to replace "lost" lines that "our best customers" misplaced...$250-300 per set, almost every charter was too much.

Slippage is way more per month, because the charterers have to be two steps to the boat.
Maintenance is MUCH higher, as the boat is used 7-10 years every year (kind of like dog years)
Insurance is VERY high, because you are now a partner in its possible risk
Damage (they call it wear and tear) is many times simply not repairable...think spilled vodka and vomit on your floors and walls left for a long weekend and a few days for the company to discover and clean.

PM or email me if you want more...
Old 07-15-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road

That's not a yacht, it's a boat.......don't do it.
Old 07-15-2012
Water Lover

Location: New Mexico, USA (Heron, Elephant Butte lakes); Arizona (Lake Pleasant)
rgscpat is on a distinguished road

Might this get a better response in a different forum category?
Old 07-15-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

I've never done it, but last I saw the pitch, it included tax savings from taking depreciation deductions on the boat. That is a real rat hole. After several years, your tax basis in your boat approaches zero. If you change your mind and want to sell her, you then have a huge gain on sale, which you will owe that tax on. Gotcha......

Of course, the charter sales folks have you covered. They will offer you a trade into another often larger boat, which doesn't trigger the gain. And away you go.

As they say, you can check in, but you can never leave.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 07-16-2012
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgscpat View Post
Might this get a better response in a different forum category?
Agree.

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.