Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Announcements and Suggestions Box
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree164Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Re: I'm Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by olson34 View Post
BTW, having spoke to Mr. Perry once, he seems like he should have more points, too. (Whatever those mysterious points mean)

Rep points and/or number of posts on a sailing forum are utterly meaningless. Being a boat-designing legend means everything. As does having tens-of-thousands of miles under your keel.

Everything else is just chatter.
Capt. Gary Randall likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-29-2012
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Rep points and/or number of posts on a sailing forum are utterly meaningless.
Yep. At least rep points on this forum are meaningless. Possibly number of posts, too, as there are many who only post when they have something meaningful to contribute and others who will post whatever fleeting thought passes through their head.
Capt. Gary Randall likes this.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 08-29-2012
Superior Sailor

Squidd is on a distinguished road

Uhhh......

Nevermind....
Old 08-29-2012
Quirky

Sublime is on a distinguished road

Maybe Sea Hunter reached the end of the internets!

A ship in harbor is safe, but that's not why ships are built.

My girls:
1974 Alcort Minifish-Minifish
2001 Drascombe Lugger-Penelope
2004 Hunter 260-Miss Muffet
Old 08-29-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
Yep. At least rep points on this forum are meaningless. Possibly number of posts, too, as there are many who only post when they have something meaningful to contribute and others who will post whatever fleeting thought passes through their head.
I'm having a fleeting thought........

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 08-29-2012
Frozen Member

AlaskaMC is on a distinguished road

Is it sad that I get excited when I see a new post in this thread?

I think it is because someone decided to flame the whole community with a new thread, and the reaction to that has mostly been folks coming together to say how much they love sailnet! Or, say something funny that makes me laugh. Kinda ended up a love fest.

Quote:
others who will post whatever fleeting thought passes through their head.
HEY! I have to get them recorded somewhere or they just... dang...lost my track of thought.
Old 08-29-2012
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

I set myself up for those, didn't I?

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 08-29-2012

Capt. Gary Randall is on a distinguished road

I'm done!!!! I'm going back to picking on the authoritys, lol

[SIGPIC] The only difference between an ordeal and a adventure is your attitude!

Old 09-18-2012

olson34 is on a distinguished road
Cool Re: I'm Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublime View Post
Maybe Sea Hunter reached the end of the internets!
Here ya go:
The Last Page of the Internet
joebeach likes this.
Old 09-24-2012

alaska67 is on a distinguished road

I don't post here often I am usually at sea but i do read. i have read seahunter here and on cruisers.

some of his famous digs are below. it seems he was the "know it all" and could not stand it when shown to be wrong so he took his tonka trucks and left the sand box.

some beautiful seahunter stuff here;

when being rude to a new poster;
"Please, please delete me, my IQ can't handle the load. I think. What, there's a future; hang on a sec.

Apparently one's Mensa score has absolutely nothing to with one's thickness of scales. Good luck to you and your IQ, lest they run into that metaphorical door."

this one is so hypocritical;
"Since when is Mexico a free country? Or are you there on an drug run? Being quick with the witticisms doesn't necessarily mean you're funny."

the only one being illogical in that thread was seahunter;
"Yet it becomes pedantic and lilliputian when the discussion falls into the same pattern of misinformed ideological mumbo jumbo week after week."

when speaking on a topic he had no real clue about;
Poster #1;
"Can I presume from your comment that you have a lot of personal experience with them?"

" You can presume anything you like; I know and have enough experience to recognize a colossal waste of time and space when I see it , yes."

to a newbie with 1 post (who later deleted the content and left);
"there's nothing new here and frankly I find your post a little naive and self serving with a feeling that lacks any real personal research on your part. I liken your attempts of soliciting funds no better than the emails I receive from a server in Ghana saying a long lost relative has died in a plane crash travelling to his diamond mine which I've now inherited."

when referring to an anchor another poster bought other than the one he uses. obviously anyone who uses an anchor other than what the great master does has succumbed to "mind control";
"Yeah, I think I'll stay with quality control rather than mind control of the "what's popular today"."

how he responded to being called to task on posting untrue information about a manufacturer;
"He we go again; don't get your panties in a sheetbend, just do a Google search and all will be well."

considering his understanding of this subject it is hypocritical;
"Yikes. You need to read their whole site to get yourself educated instead of cutting and pasting selected pieces that seem to fit your understanding of the issues."

more rude and brash responses to something he does not agree with;
"You could cobble a windlass from a couple of beer cans, an upright vacuum and an old washing machine. I guess it would matter if you thought your life was worth a rat's a$$. So what's your point? "

here he digs the entire sailnet community. remember he was or is the great master i think its funny he also gave legal advice himself in the same thread;
"Hmmm, backseat lawyers. Nothing but the best information from sailnet. You'll also need to give your own lawyer a kick in the a$$ to get things going."

more digs on a subject he knew diddly about but professed to be the great master;
"I've seen many a "boater" use all kinds of materials in their boats that ultimately fail. I wouldn't use bed sheets as sails either. Giving me attitude doesn't make you an authority either, yet does indicate your lack of understanding and experience."

an excellent example of how highly he thinks of himself;
"Now, if you've finished fingering your keyboard, I find I neither have the time nor the inclination to listen to your drivel. I would rather you kiss the water I sail upon and just say thanks and went on your way. Either way I don't give a damn, what you think you're entitled to nor what you think you know."

how he responds when he can't form an argument that holds any merit;
"I wouldn't use it on any boat. Apparently you didn't or can't comprehend this fact with your twerpy mind."

more of the same uneducated dribble from that thread;
"Yes, it's for outside use, not marine use. I could care less what others are doing. It's wrong. I've used this product for it's intended purpose, period. You could pull a condom over your head but I think it would work better as a rain gear, than a balaclava."

nice. what "requirement"?
"At least one hatch or portlight is required do keep an eye on the rigging; many have 2 or 3. Your ignorance of the requirements is staggering, obviously you're not a sailor nor a boater."

seahunter also knows anchors better than any other boater;
"The best all round anchor without question is the Danforth (original only) for most bottoms."

then:
"The only "silly" thing here is misquoting. This is typical of SN forums as one's persanal preferences makes them the expert in all things boating. While I respect other's opinions, sometimes opinions are nothing more than childish ball rubbing that denigrates the thread and the original spirit of the posting. Perhaps one should take their own advice, and choose not to post in another "anchor threat".

priceless;
"Heh heh, perhaps we should all drop anchor on our keyboards and leave yet continue posting our our ill intentioned and mostly vulgar retorts instead of partaking in the joys of boating."

once again he slams the entire sailnet community as "desktop sailors". the only one with "aggressive righteousness' was seahunter;
"While we all began as newbies my thoughts are that many who join the forum can barely claim membership into the boater's world as desktop sailors or at best dock rats. What puzzles me most is the level of "aggressive righteousness" many take or feel is their right as a member of the forum."

the almighty has spoken folks;
"Sail or power, Sailnet or CF, racer or cruiser; there's still boater's out there who know squat about boating."

hey wait I'm still hear and I can guarantee I have at a minimum 7 times the sea miles seahunter has. of course the master saild all the "real boaters are elsewhere so it must be true;
"Because most of the real sailors have left for other forums."

and his comments here and elsewhere are based on what?;
"What's your point? Your comments are merely based on hyperbole and hearsay."

complete gibberish posted as the gospel;
"it's better if the batteries are rated the same. Once you start adding external charging sources IE solar, it only takes a short time for the start battery to get cooked if not switched or correctly isolated. There's been many a posting here ( perhaps hundreds, even thousands) over the years with battery/charging issues suggesting there's obvious issues with the way many boats are wired. Keeping the ratings the same prevents over charging of the lesser battery. "

it is clear the only "real sailor" is seahunter. bow to the master sailnetters.
"After reading Mr. Chong's letter, I knew there'd be significant response on most forums especially from the many keyboard sailors."

a typical response to being wrong, again, and proven to be so. let us all remember seahunter is the only "real boater" on the net and don't forget it;
"Because many are trolling the Cruiser forum as you know. But many are fakirs there as well but the seem to stay alive because nobody calls them on it; but when you do they all hold hands. I got sick of he mods making arbitrary decisions. In my view, you can't be a moderator AND take a position either way and call it the high ground. IMHO, (rarely given), there are few real boaters on the Cruiser forum, but many pretenders."

more dribble;
'Wow, you've got some resume. Kudos. To quote one famous boater, "I yam what I yam". I respond to posts to answer reasonable boating questions, quoting sources where possible when I know the answer. If I tweak nerves to elicit a intellectual responses, I make no apologies. Frankly, it didn't take 12 years to conclude SailNet's value, I cruise by once in a while to see how the tide is running and throw some bait or a hook or two into the waters.'

as I see it losing a member like seahunter is a good move for this forum. there are plenty more precious quotes from seahunter but i got bored looking them up. i for one am glad to see folks like seahunter go.

now back to lurking and learning from this great place.

Last edited by alaska67; 09-24-2012 at 05:44 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.