Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Announcements and Suggestions Box
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree164Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Re: I'm Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ34 View Post
I also don't really understand what people expect and are not receiving from SN that causes such disillusionment that they need to give these middle finger farewells.

Sea Hunter did hit on a good point though, how is it some folks accumulate double digit rep points and someone like Bob Perry has 2. The World Wide Inter-web is a bit lob-sided.
SJ ... The rep points thing has become largely redundant since the advent of the "like" era. However, rep points are to some extent related to time served which is why its conceivable for someone like SeaHunter to have 13 (since 2000) but not a lot of posts. I'm not saying he didn't earn some of them but time does have a lot to do with it also.

Now in general (and not specifically direccted at your post SJ) we all should accept that every time or at least almost every time someone either quits completely or simply stops posting that the site itself is diminished. I've not had a lot to do with SeaHunter as such but I have with others who are no longer here and quite frankly have enjoyed our exchanges so obviously I regret their passing. This covers any and all dpeartures since I joined in 2006.

That said it is simply a fact of life that there will be personality clashes and that those clashes may result in someone(s) leaving. It happens. It is unavoidable. We , as moderators, cannot simply go around banning people cos they happen to get up someone else's nose.

As to moving this to Off Topic .... personally I'm not sure but only because in Off Topic lots of you won't see it. Otoh, I acknowledge it has absolutely nothing to do with sailing so it probably doesn't belong here either. So we'll move it for now to Announcements and Suggestions. If any of you are overly narked about that then send me a PM. I dare say I'm on a hiding to nothing whatever I do but its possibly better than sending it to the sewer.

Andrew B
the Fuzzy One.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.

Last edited by tdw; 08-20-2012 at 11:43 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-21-2012

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

Sawing, go to Aarons post #41 in this thread, you will understand my post!

in the mean time, time for bed here on the left coast.....

No brian, you are NOT what holds this together!............Mr Winston does that! Cute puppies do that you know!

Marty
Old 08-21-2012

brehm62 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawingknots View Post
older members are leaving in droves,maybe sailnet can afford this,can we? anytime a member leaves we all lose
What do you attribute this to? Are members going to other forums? Are they just getting tired of the internet? Or are you saying that there are fewer people who sail?
1980 Southcoast Boats Explorer #34
Copy of International 21.
No connection to South Coast Seacraft.
Old 08-21-2012

sawingknots is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by brehm62 View Post
What do you attribute this to? Are members going to other forums? Are they just getting tired of the internet? Or are you saying that there are fewer people who sail?
I'm not quite sure why!maybe because sailing can be quite physical and even I don't look forward to spending as much time on my boat as I once did,old age is a bitzh lol also the truth is as most people get older they also get crankier/grumpier,I know that the older i get the less social I am.as for numbers I don't think there are fewer sailors just younger [old sailors never die they just spin yarns from the comforts of home]
Old 08-21-2012
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
As to moving this to Off Topic .... personally I'm not sure but only because in Off Topic lots of you won't see it. Otoh, I acknowledge it has absolutely nothing to do with sailing so it probably doesn't belong here either. So we'll move it for now to Announcements and Suggestions. If any of you are overly narked about that then send me a PM.
That that paragraph is necessary is one of the things that irks me about SN (not a lot, cause not much in life does). It's just not that big of a deal where it's at, and why anyone would go to the trouble to even think about it being in the wrong place, much less typing a post about it, to me, is a sad misuse of time. But if it's that big of a deal to so many people, start a bloody "Hey, I'm leaving" forum.

Something that seems to get forgotten all too easily is that this is a SOCIAL site, as well as an information sharing site. A Community, filled with all kinds of people who have all kinds of interests besides sailing, BUT, prefer to spend their time here, then elsewhere. There's more than ample provision made for those who don't wish to be sullied by topics that aren't strictly sailing, so that they can avoid even seeing the threads. So give it a rest.

Correction: ... prefer to spend their time here ... should say ... prefer to spend their online time here ...
solosaler likes this.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PBzeer; 08-21-2012 at 09:19 AM. Reason: correction
Old 08-21-2012

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

I personally also hate to see any member leave, but especially members with sailing experience and a willingness to pass along the wisdom learned through experience to others. But in reality, I have been on SailNet since around 1996 and have watched as members have come, contributed and then moved on. And in most cases, it has been sad to lose a valued member, and the some of the discussions have been somewhat diminished by the loss, but in all cases it has not been a tragedy in terms of the long term viability or vitality of SailNet; And, after all this is the internet and not real life.

To be frank, while lately there has a lot of discussion about decamping long term members, I do not believe that we are losing any more long-term contributers than we typically lose. What does seem to distinguish this period more than anything else is that many of these members have written valedictory posts on their way out. And the ensuing discussions have allowed fellow members to examine and comment on why they have chosen to come to SailNet vs. other sites, or vs. not even spending as much time online.

And in reading the comments, both public and private, based on members taking the time to reflect on their time spent on SailNet, some have chosen to take their departure while others have become more aware of how much they value being here. But also some have tried to provide constructive commentary about how Sailnet could or should be made better. While some of these suggestions imply potential actions which the moderators are considering, most are commenting on the actions of the members themselves.

Which gets to the heart of the matter. SailNet is only as fulfilling as its members make it. The best we, as moderators can do is provide a place where civil discourse can take place and to correct dangerously grossly inaccurate statements when we see them. In the end it is the quality of the members and the quality of the discourse that will make SailNet the kind of place that attracts new members and retain old ones. But no matter how good the discourse, there will always be some valued members leaving, and hopefully equally valued members filling thier shoes.

Lastly I have moved this thread to Announcements and Suggestions because it is not a sailing related discussion and not to hide the discussion.

Respectfully,
Jeff
eherlihy likes this.

Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies

Last edited by Jeff_H; 08-21-2012 at 09:12 AM.
Old 08-21-2012
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabreman View Post
I'll stay! Someone has to stick around to impart priceless wisdom about a truly great line of boats. Plus I'm really cool. And smart too. Who wouldn't want to read my pearls of bilge water?

Is it pompous if I post a "I'm going to stay" post?

I really crack myself up......that makes one of us....
You forgot "humble."

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 08-21-2012
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
Personally, I blame WingNWing for all of this. SHe's always so nice, has lots of great answers, is supportive, gets together with SN members off the board, etc. ... Just watch, next she'll tell you she doesn't have two grills on her boat. I am just counting the days...
He's totally saying this 'cuz he's flattered that we took his suggestion to get a grill for our boat before heading off to the Bahamas. That grill earned us a lot of friends, he's right about that. See, we never used it, so we had all these surplus 1-lb propane cans. They commanded a very high price in trade items when a bunch of us were stuck in the Exumas by winter storms

Seriously, though, I'm liking the analogy of Sailnet being like the neighborhood bar in a harbor town - a lot of bluster, some colorful characters you can really learn from, some to watch out for, some days its fun, some days its sketchy. Pass the rum, please.

Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 08-21-2012
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingNwing View Post
He's totally saying this 'cuz he's flattered that we took his suggestion to get a grill for our boat before heading off to the Bahamas. That grill earned us a lot of friends, he's right about that. See, we never used it, so we had all these surplus 1-lb propane cans. They commanded a very high price in trade items when a bunch of us were stuck in the Exumas by winter storms

Seriously, though, I'm liking the analogy of Sailnet being like the neighborhood bar in a harbor town - a lot of bluster, some colorful characters you can really learn from, some to watch out for, some days its fun, some days its sketchy. Pass the rum, please.
HA! A well used grill is the sign of an exceptional sailor. Now, about those bottles? Got any left??? (snicker).

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 08-21-2012
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabreman View Post
I'll stay! Someone has to stick around to impart priceless wisdom about a truly great line of boats. Plus I'm really cool. And smart too. Who wouldn't want to read my pearls of bilge water?

Is it pompous if I post a "I'm going to stay" post?

I really crack myself up......that makes one of us....
You bought a Catalina??? Was wondering when you would come around. I haver no prob, given your awesome contributions here, to changing your name to CatalinaMan. Want me to go ahead and make the change??

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook: