Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Announcements and Suggestions Box
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree154Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2012

brehm62 is on a distinguished road
Re: I'm Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawingknots View Post
maybe because sailing can be quite physical and even I don't look forward to spending as much time on my boat as I once did
What type of sailboat do you have?

Quote:
as for numbers I don't think there are fewer sailors just younger
This is doubtful.

The more people I talk to the more confirmation I have about what I've already said. Just a few days ago someone was saying that he had been sailing less on Lake Wawasee because it took so long to set up his catamaran. Sailing in Indiana is not an everyday event because the wind is not good everyday. On days when the wind is good you want to be able to set up quickly and get to sailing. I've yet to hear from anyone that boats should be larger or more complex. Of course it isn't just Indiana; most of the country has the same problem. I think the simple fact is that people have disconnected from basic, recreational sailing. People on here seem embarrassed (even hostile) at the idea of getting a smaller, simpler boat. It's like the men here judge their manhood by the height of their mast.
1980 Southcoast Boats Explorer #34
Copy of International 21.
No connection to South Coast Seacraft.

Last edited by brehm62; 08-21-2012 at 10:27 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-21-2012
Stupor-user.

SHNOOL is on a distinguished road

Honestly, I am not sure why the rant. If you want to leave then leave, but sorry to see ya go. I sincerely hope nothing I did offended. Sometimes tone is read differently, keep that in mind.

A coup? on a board? really, what would it look like? I digress.

I find it absolutely cool that some of the great sailboat builders of our time still post and drop in here. It doesn't get any more authoritative than the builders themselves!

Also I think sailnet represents all aspects of sailing from racing, to cruising, to trailering. I don't do any one of the above exclusively, I enjoy ALL 3 in one boat go figure! Perhaps the racers and McMansion luxury yacht owners are louder than others? I dunno, I don't think they are overrepresented either way.

Is my piddly little 25 footer laughed at by those with "big masts?" Perhaps it is, but for some things smaller is better Don't worry I always try to convince myself of that, I have to.

Seriously. It's a online board. The posts are worth what you paid for them. Some just fill the gap between being able to get out sailing. Some are priceless for help in fixing problems others have already addressed.

Sailnet is still my first stop for help when I have a problem with my boat, I look to see how others have addressed it, doesn't make their way the best way, just A way.

Leave if you must. If it's to sail, well DUH nobody expects you to post INSTEAD of sailing. Not many of us here would post over sailing.
HDChopper and SloopJonB like this.

Last edited by SHNOOL; 08-21-2012 at 10:28 AM. Reason: misspelling
Old 08-21-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

I'm puzzled by these complaints about combativeness on SN. Sure there's lots of it on PRWG and I really enjoy that hashing & bashing. I rarely find it in the sailing forums though and even there it seldom seems to be more than someone expressing frustration with repeated questions that have been answered numerous times.

Recently there were THREE threads going on gelcoat repairs - people need to do a little exploring on their own sometimes.

I have found the wealth of experience available here to be invaluable a number of times and I also enjoy being able to share what I've learned with others so they don't have to learn things the hard way.

I sure find SN to be a lot more civilized and adult than SA for example.
mitiempo and jameswilson29 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 08-21-2012

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough

Quote:
You bought a Catalina??? Was wondering when you would come around. I haver no prob, given your awesome contributions here, to changing your name to CatalinaMan. Want me to go ahead and make the change??
Wicked, wicked, man. No Catalina in my immediate future, but I have great respect and admiration for the brand. My dad owned three (22, 27, 30) and I worked for 2 dealers in NJ many years ago. When we were considering our current boat, I looked seriously at a Catalina 36. You won't see me disparage a Catalina, Beneteau, Hunter nearly any other brand (there is really only one manufacturer's boats that I loathe, but that's irrelevant). If it floats, I'm game.

On a more serious note, I'm mystified that some may consider SN to be biased toward larger vessels or more experienced members. I really don't see that. An experienced member may be more emphatic because their experience is often learned through hard knocks but I've never detected an arrogance. Regarding smaller vessels, my wife and I are considering a significant downsize to a sport boat that we can afford to aggressively campaign. So you won't see a bias against small boats from me.

The "I have $1000, no experience, and want to sail around the world" posts can be tedious at times but who am I to quash someone's dream? Like anything else, if they have the drive, they'll achieve the goal. Otherwise, their project boat will eventually come on the market.

Quote:
You forgot "humble."
You're right! Humble.... that's me!
Old 08-21-2012
Sunsets and Warm Beer....

LandLocked66c is on a distinguished road

Really, another g-bye thread?

You can't steer a boat that isn't moving? Just like a life - P. Lutus
Old 08-21-2012

brehm62 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabreman View Post
there is really only one manufacturer's boats that I loathe
I'm curious. Why do you loathe their boats? Do the shrouds pull out of the decks? Does the fiberglass peel off?

Quote:
I'm mystified that some may consider SN to be biased toward larger vessels or more experienced members.
Not necessarily more experienced but definitely towards racing and larger boats.

Quote:
I really don't see that. An experienced member may be more emphatic because their experience is often learned through hard knocks but I've never detected an arrogance.
I've seen people claim that you can't buy a good boat for less than $100,000. That statement is clearly absurd. But perhaps it isn't arrogance; maybe it is just stupidity. Now a person like this might be well versed on larger boats but their breadth of knowledge is much too narrow for the vast majority of sailing.

As for the notion that a larger boat means more experience I also have serious doubts about that. I have posted on boards where members were scared to death to sail out of sight of land but they attributed their requirement to have the largest possible boat under their feet to everything but fear. Others insist on a larger boat because they can't stand being inconvenienced. I'm sorry but being afraid or having to be as comfortable as possible doesn't make someone an expert.

Quote:
Regarding smaller vessels, my wife and I are considering a significant downsize to a sport boat that we can afford to aggressively campaign. So you won't see a bias against small boats from me.
I'm not quite sure what you are calling "small" here but I suspect it isn't what I would call small.
1980 Southcoast Boats Explorer #34
Copy of International 21.
No connection to South Coast Seacraft.
Old 08-21-2012
Frozen Member

AlaskaMC is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabreman View Post
(there is really only one manufacturer's boats that I loathe, but that's irrelevant).
So here we go again with the Walker Bay sailing dingy bashing. These subtle digs at my chosen yacht are just getting old. I know you were talking about me! I just know it!

Oh, and I am running out of popcorn, be right back.
knothead and Sabreman like this.
Old 08-21-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by brehm62 View Post
I've seen people claim that you can't buy a good boat for less than $100,000. That statement is clearly absurd. But perhaps it isn't arrogance; maybe it is just stupidity.
Definitely stupidity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brehm62 View Post
As for the notion that a larger boat means more experience I also have serious doubts about that. I have posted on boards where members were scared to death to sail out of sight of land but they attributed their requirement to have the largest possible boat under their feet to everything but fear. Others insist on a larger boat because they can't stand being inconvenienced. I'm sorry but being afraid or having to be as comfortable as possible doesn't make someone an expert.
I'm definitely in the "can't stand being inconvenienced" crowd. Definitely not in the fear crowd.

But I also love to race...it just that I don't mind racing my theoretical big, comfy boat and living with the less than VO70 results. After all, that's why Einstein invented PHRF. And racing is freakin' FUN!

I'd just say you need to worry less about the distinctions and just enjoy the fact that we all like to sail.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 08-21-2012 at 06:32 PM.
Old 08-21-2012

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

Alaska,

Don't forget the beer or whine with that thar popcorn!

And why would sabre buy a catalina.......saw they had a new 315, got sorta exited......saw the floor plan, weight, sa, lack of draft.......went puke..........and said, why can they not design a boat that I might like?!?!?!?!?!?!? They need to take off at least 3000 lbs of that fat boy, add a few more lbs to the keel along with another 12" of draft to be at least 6.5-7'! , about 100# of SA, get rid o that furling main fiasco..........then maybe, just MAYBE, they might have a boat worth getting,,,,,,

enough of my rantings. who's next? alaska, do you have access to some alaska amber? I'll take a bottle or two or three...........

Marty
AlaskaMC likes this.
Old 08-21-2012

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough

This is turning out to be one of my favorite threads! Fun! Controversy! Popcorn!

Quote:
Do the shrouds pull out of the decks? Does the fiberglass peel off?
Pretty close! And it's not a Walker Bay.. they're kind of cute... looks ok to me.

Quote:
I'm not quite sure what you are calling "small" here but I suspect it isn't what I would call small.
We're thinking of a Melges 20. We want to go fast! I don't know if it counts as small but in the 2011 MD Governor's Cup it sure would have seemed that way at 3AM (25 kts, 4-5' wave faces).

Last edited by Sabreman; 08-21-2012 at 11:36 PM.