Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Announcements and Suggestions Box
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree164Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Re: I'm Done

And i haven't even posted in this thread yet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-22-2012
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

And I haven't posted anything yet because I'm so tired of all 'ur bitchin' and complaining and wiping the eyes while waving "good bye".
Now Brian Jones has dragged me into the pool with him yet again. Mick Jagger couldn't care less. He and Sir Paul can always rent whatever sized boat they need.

To those that think that SN is all about folks that can afford $100K boats and have never sailed their way up the sailing ladder of dinghies, guess again. I'd bet that 30 - 40% of the "old timers" here (those over 50 to you whippersnappers) have sailed their asses off on beach cats, Lasers, Lightnings, Flying Scotts, Melges Scows, even wind surfers etc. To you upstarts I say that having a heavier keel boat is a lot easier to sail than a board sailor and a lot safer for my old, enfeebled brain. So what if my boat only cost me $4K to buy. It has cost me waaay more then that to actually keep it in good working order and bottom painted each year.
I loved sailing my small boats. Still do. They are much more challenging in many ways and teach a lot of lessons a lot faster then a fat old keel boat that I now love and care for.
I still sail on Sunfish. Just because I have access to some and I'm pretty good at it. There is nothing like getting a small Sunfish up on a plane on a broad reach in 15 knots of wind. It is wet, athletic and makes me feel good to do so.
Lots of people can afford bigger, more expensive boats then I can. Do I care or resent them? No way. I like what I have and I don't want to give any of it up.
Little boats rock. Big boats rock a bit less but can easily handle uglier conditions. They are very similar but not at all alike.
chef2sail and chrisncate like this.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-22-2012
Frozen Member

AlaskaMC is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
Alaska,

Don't forget the beer or whine with that thar popcorn!

enough of my rantings. who's next? alaska, do you have access to some alaska amber? I'll take a bottle or two or three...........

Marty
My feelings are hurt with that whine comment. I am leaving and never coming back and I think I may go cry.

Nah, who would ever want to leave a place with knowledge, commentary, and free beer! Here are those AK Ambers good sir.

Methinks I will have a Midnight Sun Melt Down DIPA MMMM Bitter.
Old 08-26-2012

solosaler is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
I personally also hate to see any member leave, but especially members with sailing experience and a willingness to pass along the wisdom learned through experience to others. But in reality, I have been on SailNet since around 1996 and have watched as members have come, contributed and then moved on. And in most cases, it has been sad to lose a valued member, and the some of the discussions have been somewhat diminished by the loss, but in all cases it has not been a tragedy in terms of the long term viability or vitality of SailNet; And, after all this is the internet and not real life.

To be frank, while lately there has a lot of discussion about decamping long term members, I do not believe that we are losing any more long-term contributers than we typically lose. What does seem to distinguish this period more than anything else is that many of these members have written valedictory posts on their way out. And the ensuing discussions have allowed fellow members to examine and comment on why they have chosen to come to SailNet vs. other sites, or vs. not even spending as much time online.

And in reading the comments, both public and private, based on members taking the time to reflect on their time spent on SailNet, some have chosen to take their departure while others have become more aware of how much they value being here. But also some have tried to provide constructive commentary about how Sailnet could or should be made better. While some of these suggestions imply potential actions which the moderators are considering, most are commenting on the actions of the members themselves.

Which gets to the heart of the matter. SailNet is only as fulfilling as its members make it. The best we, as moderators can do is provide a place where civil discourse can take place and to correct dangerously grossly inaccurate statements when we see them. In the end it is the quality of the members and the quality of the discourse that will make SailNet the kind of place that attracts new members and retain old ones. But no matter how good the discourse, there will always be some valued members leaving, and hopefully equally valued members filling thier shoes.

Lastly I have moved this thread to Announcements and Suggestions because it is not a sailing related discussion and not to hide the discussion.

Respectfully,
Jeff
I watched you leave CWBB back in its day.
Not sure why you left, but it happens.
Cheers!
Old 08-26-2012
Irrationally Exuberant

arf145 is on a distinguished road

I've got nothing to say--just didn't want to be left out.
ltgoshen and joebeach like this.

2000 Beneteau 331
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy ~ Steven Wright
Old 08-27-2012

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by solosaler View Post
I watched you (Jeff_H) leave CWBB back in its day.
Not sure why you left, but it happens.
Cheers!
Its funny about CWBB. I did not intentionally leave CWBB. I really liked the folks over there, and have stayed in touch with many of the folks that I met there.

CWBB was not so much a 'leaving' as a fading away, which happened at a time when I needed to scale back what I was doing on the internet, and focus on real life. At that point I was a moderator on CF, and here, plus posting on Woodenboat, CWBB, CF, PC, here, and eventually AS.

It was all way too much. I found it frustrating to read threads and not have time for a meaningful response. So at some point, I just stopped checking in. There have been times when I wondered how all of the old time crew were doing and so checked in on some of these boards. But in the end, when I went back, many if not most of the old members had departed for other ports of call.

Jeff

Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
Old 08-27-2012

MarkSF is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
I
I sure find SN to be a lot more civilized and adult than SA for example.
I've been to more civilized bar brawls than SA.
Old 08-29-2012

Patient is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHNOOL View Post
Honestly, I am not sure why the rant. If you want to leave then leave, but sorry to see ya go. I sincerely hope nothing I did offended. Sometimes tone is read differently, keep that in mind.

A coup? on a board? really, what would it look like? I digress.

I find it absolutely cool that some of the great sailboat builders of our time still post and drop in here. It doesn't get any more authoritative than the builders themselves!

Also I think sailnet represents all aspects of sailing from racing, to cruising, to trailering. I don't do any one of the above exclusively, I enjoy ALL 3 in one boat go figure! Perhaps the racers and McMansion luxury yacht owners are louder than others? I dunno, I don't think they are overrepresented either way.

Is my piddly little 25 footer laughed at by those with "big masts?" Perhaps it is, but for some things smaller is better Don't worry I always try to convince myself of that, I have to.

Seriously. It's a online board. The posts are worth what you paid for them. Some just fill the gap between being able to get out sailing. Some are priceless for help in fixing problems others have already addressed.

Sailnet is still my first stop for help when I have a problem with my boat, I look to see how others have addressed it, doesn't make their way the best way, just A way.

Leave if you must. If it's to sail, well DUH nobody expects you to post INSTEAD of sailing. Not many of us here would post over sailing.
This is pretty much spot on.

In youngster internet lingo the OP pulled a "rage quit". Meaning, it was not a post aimed at pointing out frustrations at the community and its handlers with the desire to see an improved outcome, but rather an angry goodbye. These are the saddest posts to see, because there is no resolve, there is no, "Hey, what can we do to keep you around? Your presence is important here....". The ticket was purchased in advance.

Honestly, I do not understand how people expect so much out of a free internet forum community. Which after roaming the net since its infancy, I can say quite confidently, that SailNet has one of the highest question to informed answer ratios I have ever had the pleasure of browsing.

Straight from the sea-trial new member posts get questions answered with educated responses. The chat is friendly. The mods do not sharpen their egos with ridiculous infractions. I am trying to find fault with this forum and other than its color choice, I am finding that task to be very difficult.

/shrug
Old 08-29-2012

olson34 is on a distinguished road
Question Re: I'm Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ34 View Post
(snip)
Sea Hunter did hit on a good point though, how is it some folks accumulate double digit rep points and someone like Bob Perry has 2. The World Wide Inter-web is a bit lob-sided.
So, how on Earth does a poster accumulate "rep points" anyway????
I check this site daily, but it's not where I really hang out on the 'net. Some good info and wisdom comes along, so it's always good to check on the new posts.

I had a great sail last night, participating in our club's informal "meet at the dock at 6 on Tuesday and draw straws for whose boat to go out on"........ Last night it was 7 sailors that crewed up a couple of boats -- an Ericson 38 and an Islander 36. Both classics. Some of us crew persons are getting to be sort of "classic", too!

BTW, having spoke to Mr. Perry once, he seems like he should have more points, too. (Whatever those mysterious points mean)

Old 08-29-2012
Proud "picnic sailor"

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by olson34 View Post
So, how on Earth does a poster accumulate "rep points" anyway????...
I don't know the "secret formula," but it seems like you get one point for each year that you're a member here - as long as you have a certain (small) number of posts each year.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.