Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Announcements and Suggestions Box
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree164Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2012
Senior Cruiser

sea_hunter is on a distinguished road
I'm Done

Not wanting to sound like a whiny Sinead, but it's been 12 years and so many hours since I joined this forum. That's almost a whole lifetime for a dog that needs to be put to bed. I was here for the coup of 04, or was that 05, I'm not sure anymore? That's pretty much the time the last of the old guard was here and a new batch of experts rowed their way from some backeddy onto the scene. Since then the camber has slowly deteriorated as SN lost its way in the fog of egos.

I'm sure there's a number of theses primadonnas, nay self proclaimed experts with their endless years of experience that'll attempt a witty remark or retort at another rat bailing ship; but here let me help you. For anybody interested, just take a look at the member list. Only a few of the pre-2004 members are still around, many like me were/are waiting for a change. Most of the current hatch of crustaceans latched on here between 2006-2008. Since then many of them have logged over 10,000 posts in 4-5 years. I was taught that practice makes perfect. How can one possibly practice sailing techniques if they're always at the keyboard? Hmmm. One thing for sure, they've become adept navigating a keyboard. I really can't comprehend 10,000 posts as I've personally only logged including this, 512 in 12 years, but still hold a rep power of 13, the same as some with over 3900 posts, higher than many, but probably as undeserved as the rest.

The rating system is obviously nepotistic as the 20 -30 top rated members like to shower each other in bouquets and accolades while carefully controlling the tenor of threads and posts. For a forum that proclaims to be "the largest sailing forum in the world" with a listed membership of over 155,000, the balance of power is very lopsided while the majority remain voiceless; many silent for fear of reprisal from the bully squads. I too have participated in this past time over the years yet feel remorseful having been drawn into this negativity.

Frankly, I could care less for the pedantic, repetitious, redundant responses this post may elicit. While not the first nor the last to jump the SN ship, I have even less care, and even less time to stay where the tide ebbs and flows in a world where the members still believe the world is flat. I'm going sailing.

"Water, water, everywhere, And all the boards did shrink;
Water, water, everywhere, Nor any drop to drink."
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to sea_hunter For This Useful Post:
rackham the red (07-01-2014)
Old 08-20-2012

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Re: I'm Done

I'm not waiting for things to change at Sailnet. It's been different in the past and it changed and now it's different again. It is what it is. I take from it what I want or need and leave what I don't. I add my two cents when I feel like it or think that it might help someone, but I've long since stopped worrying about it when I'm ignored or disagreed with. It's an internet forum after all. I used to get a lot more frustrated than I do these days. I think I finally learned that it's not really about me after all. I've lowered my expectations about Sailnet and a lot of other things in life and I've found that that helps me keep things in perspective.

Sorry to see you go, (still not sure why you're leaving), but thanks for the opportunity to add to my post count.
Old 08-20-2012
Large Member

mdbee is on a distinguished road

Good points. I can't comment on pre-2005 but SN does seem to have a more "combative air" than some websites. Not sure what makes it that way (well, it's obvious certain posters) as to why certain people are drawn to certain websites. People with fragile egos that need to have them soothed I suppose. Perhaps it's as simple as birds of a feather...
The Following User Says Thank You to mdbee For This Useful Post:
rackham the red (07-01-2014)
Old 08-20-2012
Water Lover

Location: New Mexico, USA (Heron, Elephant Butte lakes); Arizona (Lake Pleasant)
rgscpat is on a distinguished road

I wonder how many people die wishing they'd had a higher post count and more rep points ... and had gone to more meetings and spent more time at the office.
Fair winds
Jgbrown and Atlas like this.
Old 08-20-2012

brehm62 is on a distinguished road

I'm sorry; I haven't been here since 04, 05, or even 06. I have really not a clue what you are talking about. From my own observations there are quite a few here with large boats and those who live for racing. Now, I have nothing against larger boats or racing but this is an entirely different mindset.

There is not a lot here in terms of basic, recreational sailing. In fact when these get brought up the reaction is kind of like having an alien knock at your door. I see sailing as fun, interesting, and rewarding. I don't see racing as any of these. At 20' my sailboat is at the very top end for daysailing and too complex for the great majority of casual sailors. Yet, for the large boat crowd they have a hard time imagining that a 20' sailboat is even useful for anything or they tend to assume that all boats of this size are racing dinghies.

If you are trying to say that the breadth of opinion commonly posted here is somewhat narrow then I would agree.
1980 Southcoast Boats Explorer #34
Copy of International 21.
No connection to South Coast Seacraft.
Old 08-20-2012

Seaduction is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgscpat View Post
I wonder how many people die wishing they'd had a higher post count and more rep points ... and had gone to more meetings and spent more time at the office.
Fair winds
Actually, its the quality of the responses to posts that I feel is more important that the number of responses one accumulates. If responders would reply with serious answers based upon experience and/or knowledge it raises the level of the entire forum. Naturally, there will be folks that inject a humorous reply to a question that can leave itself open to such remarks. Nonetheless, for the most part I visit the forum to learn from others experiences or knowledge, or perhaps to help someone seeking to learn from those more experienced.
svandante likes this.
Old 08-20-2012

Siamese is on a distinguished road

Huh? What is going on here that I just don't seem to get? My experience with Sailnet has been that I can log in, ask a question, and then sit back and wait for some expert, and some not so expert answers. I'm almost always totally satisfied with the responses I get.

As with ANY forum on any topic, there are some weasels lurking out there, but that's true in the real world, too.

Are people looking for something beyond good advice and the chance to share hard earned knowledge with others? Is that the problem?

Yeah, occasionally someone acts like a jerk, and there are some on this forum who are a bit notorious, but why would I want to let someone at a keyboard in a galaxy far far away darken my day?

I'm sticking around. Some of the best upgrades (golf cart batteries), and best maintenance tips have come from this site. Go Sailnet.
jrd22, eherlihy, sailak and 9 others like this.
Old 08-20-2012

okawbow is on a distinguished road

It seems to me that all online forums are alike. I've seen the same post as the OP made many times on every forum I've been to. It's the same with the archery, violin makers, and boat building forums.

Sooner or later most users realize that online forums are mostly a waste of time, and good only for "entertainment" purposes. Once in a while one can glean some usefull information and news from them. However; I think it is a big mistake to take what is said online as somehow being meaningfull or important. Take it all with a grain of salt, and just go out and sail and have fun.

Chuck
Privateer 26 Schooner
Old 08-20-2012
Water Lover

Location: New Mexico, USA (Heron, Elephant Butte lakes); Arizona (Lake Pleasant)
rgscpat is on a distinguished road

There is no one perfect boat.
There are many ways to enjoy time on the water.
I enjoy exploring, cruising, and racing under sail. And responsible powerboat enjoyment, and quiet moments in a kayak. And gabbing at the marina or on the forum here. Done right, with respect to others, it's all good.
Old 08-20-2012
Frozen Member

AlaskaMC is on a distinguished road

I blame anchor threads!