Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Announcements and Suggestions Box
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2012

pwdude is on a distinguished road
Bahamas Trailer Sailing Logistics

I want to sail my trailerable boat to the Bahamas from Florida, and I have some questions about logistics. I don't live in Florida. So, I'm not familiar with the departure points. Hence, first set of questions - what are some good options for departure points in Florida that:
1-have a launch ramp?
2-have a secure place to park my truck and trailer?
3-are good departure points to get to Bimini?
4-can reasonable get back to when flying back from Bimini?

Second set of questions - I believe I understand the costs and options of leaving my boat in the Bahamas, and I found a few comments in the forums on where to haul and store my boat in Abaco. Anyone have a favorite place to haul and store in Abaco? Why?

Third set of questions - what do I need to have in terms of licenses if I want to fish on the trip across the stream? If I show up in Bimini wish fish in the cooler and a quarantine flag raised, is that OK? Do I need a Florida license too?

Fourth set of questions - I've read a l little in the forums about crossing the Gulf Stream at certain times of year. If I have the flexibility to go whenever I want to, what are the best months for crossing? Why?

That's all I can think of for now. Thanks in advance for any advice you have to share!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook

Tags
abaco , bahamas , gulf stream