SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Announcements and Suggestions Box (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/announcements-suggestions-box/)
-   -   new boat for me (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/announcements-suggestions-box/92199-new-boat-me.html)

Lou452 09-17-2012 11:07 PM

new boat for me

Yes it is a happy day! Me and the old catalina 22. A big up grade for me. A boat with a place to sleep and relax. Some will laugh because it is small to them. I am happy and want to share my joy. A big change from the sunfish and the FJ. I had an old salt look at it and he said it looks good. It was an ok buy. I did not take a bath when I broke my little piggy bank. That was a plus It gets to sit in the yard until spring. I will get to work on it. No engine right now on the boat. I have an idea I would like to push it with an electric OB engine and not have to deal with gas and oil What do you all think? Regards, Lou

DRFerron 09-18-2012 01:17 AM

Re: new boat for me

Congratulations!

Lou452 09-18-2012 12:23 PM

Thank you any thought on leaving the gas OB off and going battery power? I will not be in the Ocean. Most of the time will be in small lakes and the 22 will be large in such small water. I might go to Lake Erie one weekend a summer. I have a lot of time on the lake but not much time under sail. That is the only time I might need an engine other than geting on and off the trailer. Time is funny because it is the next hour that counts the most. I have been looking at some 24 volt OB motors. I would like to stay with 12 volts as the rest of the boat is a 12 volt system. Right now I sail the FJ up and put it on the trailer did the same with a catalina two weeks ago (not mine) but I can see with a bigger boat an engine is a saftey issue. How safe is my plan of no gas on the boat?

jrd22 09-18-2012 12:43 PM

If your motoring needs are just to get in and out of the slip, or across a small lake when the wind dies electric outboard might be a good choice. They are expensive from what I have read but it may be worth it to you for the quiet and lack of any gas. For your boat I would opt for a small gas outboard (self contained gas tank) so I would have the option of carrying a small extra tank in case I decided to go on a longer trip, but that's just me.
Congratulations on the new boat!

Lou452 09-19-2012 12:18 AM

I am looking and it seems like the Gas OB. is half the price of the battery OB. $1000 might use 5-6 gal a year if that. The battery $ 1700 but gas is $4 a gal. It will need to be a 24 volt 60lbs This makes a charge more complicated. I have one solar charger 12 volts and was wanting to fix a wind generator and one more solar. Why would they not put a generator on the prop of the battery OB. and It could charge as you sail and then help run your cabin when you stop? They put a GPS on them that is nice but dah charge the Battery folks. Three and a half to four hp. is all I think I need. In the gas the 4 hp.will have foward and reverse 60 lbs. but a 3.5 has only foward 39 lbs. and you have to spin it around to move backward Let me hear more advice

CalebD 09-19-2012 02:40 PM

I doubt you would use more the 2 - 3 gallons of gas in one season.
The idea of electric propulsion is nice but easily twice the price of a gas outboard when you consider that you'd need a pretty big battery bank as well as an electric OB.
If there is any chance that the swiveling 3.5 engine would make contact with your rudder I'd opt for the engine with forward and reverse.

SHNOOL 09-19-2012 03:50 PM

Consider buying a well maintained used 2stroke outboard. The Catalina 22 will be pushed well with anything from 2-6hp... 3hp being ideal (with self contained tank). I use a 2.2hp on my 25 footer, and it pushes the boat to 5knots... its too small really, but I have no regrets... cost me $300 from a local boat house, and it was a bargain, runs like a top!

Otherwise, the Cat 22 is a great boat, and has a really strong OD class. There are tons and tons of upgrades available for the boat, and lots of aftermarket parts for it. Used sails are also easy to find, ebay and craigslist are your friends.

Electric outboards are fine, getting the crazy big ones are pricey but pretty slick. If you aren't really going to to use the outboard at all (except in and out of the slip), you can get a big transom mounted trolling motor, but like others said, it won't run real long or be super powerful (just very basic maneuvering - which wind can overcome pretty easily). You'd have to get a massive solar charger, or plug in to keep the battery topped off.

Still think the 2 stroke used outboards are the least troublesome, as long as you get one that is well maintained (and you continue that maintenance). If you can't stomach the "damage to the environment" of that, then look for 4 stroke or electric, or also the new LP outboards (all very expensive options).

As a last statement, and as much as I LOVE To sail, having a good kicker is invaluable for getting you to a destination in a timely manner when winds give up on you. Also they are invaluable for when you've "had enough" of fighting weather (remember rain can get old too). While I'd prefer to sail into my slip every time, time constraints, weather, and lack of sleep sometimes push me to fire up the iron genny, so having a reliable no maintenance kicker is a must for me (OK I am not a sailing purist, I admit it).

Lou452 09-19-2012 07:55 PM

I gave a like to all and want to thank you for your thoughts I am not sure what I will do. For now I will be happy working on the trailer lights. I will post what I buy this spring 6 months to look.

Brewgyver 09-19-2012 09:36 PM

First, congrats on the new boat! Second, keep it simple (and cheap) - stick with a good, small, used 2 stroke motor. You'll likely find one between now and spring for a few hundred, with plenty of life left on it.

Bruce_L 09-20-2012 10:15 PM

3 to 4 h.p. will be adequate on a lake, you may have a problem if it gets windy though and you have sails still on (but covered perhaps) or a bimini top up (windage items) 22 feet is huge if you came up from an open smaller vessel. You now have the luxury of a teeny cabin to stash some dry items as well as catch a nap at dock or let a guest use the potty while out on the water. I have 19 total feet and love it. Anything over 23-23 feet starts to get heavy and expensive. You can trailer your boat as needed without having to own a huge diesel dually pickup or rent a huge trailer or a crane to step the mast. As far as the gasoline motor goes, just be sure to always use a fuel stablizer like "Stabil" all the time and you'll be fine. I too am looking to go electric, just haven't come up with the ultimate solution for me at the moment. Hope you have a blast on the water. I say let 'em laugh !!! Bruce