Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Announcements and Suggestions Box
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By FarCry
  • 1 Post By arf145

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2012
Freedom 39

FarCry is on a distinguished road
Far Cry is SOLD

I had been working very hard on Far Cry to prepare her for a longer voyage. Part way into that process I ran across a Freedom 39 Cat Ketch and bought her. This created a bit of a mess for me but I put my head down and in my spare time over 3 weeks on Far Cry I:
1) Finished painting the interior to cover the fake wood-grained areas.
2) Replaced the original Yanmar 2QM15 with a rebuilt 2GM20
3) Painted the bilge and engine area, the engine was out and it looked nasty.
4) Changed the packing, the engine was out and access was great.
5) Replaced the shaft coupling, the engine was out and it looked suspect.
6) Modified the engine bed slightly (insert foul language here)
7) Replaced the motor mounts, to get engine height correct.
8) Repainted the engine area, again!!!
9) Added a return fuel line, none on 2QM15.
10) Added a stop cable into cockpit to kill engine, none on 2QM15.
11) Replaced the fuel pump, after it started leaking (insert profanity here)
12) Had the alternator rebuilt that decided to die with the fuel pump!!
13) Rewired much of the grounding system, it was just ugly.
14) And about 100 other things that all cost money, take time and I can't think of right now.

About a week before I planned on making announcements everywhere that Far Cry was for sale a potential buyer contacted me and wished to come see the boat. She was a mess with tools and parts scattered all over... He was still very impressed, spent about 15 minutes on board and said he would take her!!!! We did a sea trial Sunday and finalized everything this afternoon. It couldn't have been easier.

The Freedom is called Paradigm Shift. As stated, she needs a lot of attention. So far I've
1) Replaced the Nicro Vent fan that was leaking with the new one the owner had bought but not installed.
2) Replaced the defective switch to run the shower sump with one that is actually designed to be in a wet location. DUH!!!
3) Replaced the shredded halyard on the main sail.
4) Spent about 4 hours diving on the hull chiseling away at mussels, sponges, feather dusters, crustaceans and a zillion other forms of flora and fauna I can't begin to identify. I figure just 2-3 more hours and I will have the bottom "sort of cleanish". That is for another day/week/month.
5) Figured out how the various pieces of piled up stainless tubing strewn about the deck can create the bimini frame.
6) Had new zippers sewn into the bimini.
7) Replaced the capacitor on the A/C blower. I'm loving the cool air now!!!
8) Got a stereo and speakers working. Yahoo!!!
9) Yesterday spent a few hours trying to disassemble and/or remove the Groco KH head that needs to be rebuilt so that it can work. I purchased the rebuild kit and was amazed at how many pieces were in there! Should be fun.
With a working shower and head, I will be ready to dive into the engine to confirm all is well and up to snuff. It was fun to start a car when I was 16 with a screwdriver on the solenoid, I plan to get the ignition to function from the helm soon!!!!

In essence I took a major leap into the unknown buying a boat that could not be sea-trialed before purchase because of many issues. So far I've been very impressed with the original installation of many of the systems on board. I can't wait to get my massive list of tasks done and see how she sails. Speaking of sails, I need to get a new mizzen sail ordered soon so I'm not waiting on that... Boat bucks will be disappearing at a fast pace.
davidpm likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-19-2012
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Re: Far Cry is SOLD

Wow!
You'd trust a boat with no shrouds or stays? Actually, Freedoms seem to have a pretty good rep.
Cat ketch rig gives you some sail deployment options you wouldn't have with a sloop.
Enjoy!

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-19-2012

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

Seriously, enjoy the freedom on your paradigm shift
Old 09-19-2012
Freedom 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalebD View Post
Wow!
You'd trust a boat with no shrouds or stays? Actually, Freedoms seem to have a pretty good rep.
Cat ketch rig gives you some sail deployment options you wouldn't have with a sloop.
Enjoy!
Maybe I'm a daredevil having a boat without stays to connect stuff and I fly airplanes without wires holding the wings on.
Old 09-19-2012
Freedom 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesR View Post

Seriously, enjoy the freedom on your paradigm shift
A gold star for you chuckles, you get the name.

It's nice to see you back at SN after your extended forum vacation. It would seem you and I have both recently made substantial changes in our choice of sailing vessel.
Old 09-20-2012
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Congrats!!!

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 09-22-2012
Irrationally Exuberant

arf145 is on a distinguished road

Wow. I've gone through your two work lists and felt compelled to sit down and have another cup of coffee to recover. You are no doubt a man of action. Good luck with your new boat!
davidpm likes this.

2000 Beneteau 331
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy ~ Steven Wright
Old 09-23-2012
Reforming Stinkpotter

captainjay is on a distinguished road

So congrats on the sale, when are we going sailing? Are you saving the exhaust system for when I get back?
Jay

Old 09-23-2012
Freedom 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainjay View Post
So congrats on the sale, when are we going sailing? Are you saving the exhaust system for when I get back?
Jay
If you want to go sailing, what do we need the engine for? You motor boaters are so hard to convert.

If you want to tackle the exhaust I will most certainly let you. There are icy cold Medallas at the bottom of the fridge waiting for you when you are done.

After swearing profusely for days at that Groco head, the exhaust is looking like fun. Got a rigger coming out tomorrow to look at either adding a topping lift or a rigid boomvang for the mizzen and getting rid of those goofy running backstays!!! I'm also going to have him see what's wrong with the anchor light and the steaming light and, and, and, and........