Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Announcements and Suggestions Box
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2012

Gladrags4 is on a distinguished road
how to get back on Sailnet moderators take notice!

Over 1 month ago I stopped receiving email from Sailnet. I did nothing wrong, the emails just stopped coming. I still get the weekly emails from the store but that's all. I sent an email to the moderator who advised that these things work themselves out and I should get back on my subscribed forums but it just hasn't happened. I tried to sign up again without luck. I tried to sign up with a different email account, again without success. So, I guess unless someone can fix this , I am off the list and wish everyone a Bon voyage.

Tod
Mandolin
Chesapeake Bay
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-24-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: how to get back on Sailnet moderators take notice!

Tod

Sorry about your troubles. I suggest you send a PM to 'administrator' directly describing your situation. We mods cannot do anything about these sorts of things, only the admin can look/see/perhaps fix it.

Others have had similar issues and they did get resolved eventually.

I've reported your post for you (the red/white triangle in the post window header) This sends an email notice to us and admin.. another quicker way to 'get attention'.

In the past such issues have possibly been rooted in the users' ISP provider as well, but one never knows.

Please send me a PM with the details of the extra account you created, we'll need to clean that up.
PCP likes this.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 01-22-2013
Sailor

Gladrags1 is on a distinguished road

I am apparently back! Today I received an email message about lists I subscribe to for the first time in 3 months. My email name and password worked as well and I did not lose any reps. By the way, I should be and am Gladrags1 not Gladrags4. Gladrags4 can be removed, unless it will kick me off the list again!
jrd22 likes this.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-25-2013
Sailor

No more emails... Maybe I am not back yet.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-25-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladrags1 View Post
No more emails... Maybe I am not back yet.
I've reported your problems to admin, Glad... are you always able to log in? Is it just the notifications that are the issue?

Maybe PM me with some details... thx.

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Old 01-27-2013
Sailor

Yes, I can log in and reply to messages now. I wasn't able to before so this is an improvement! The only issue now is that I don't receive any notices, email from Sailnet forums about threads I subscribe to alerting me to new posts. I used to receive emails in digest form. Aside from a few days ago when I received one digest email from a subscribed forum, I receive nothing.

I have the Sailnet app on my iPhone which is what I am using to look up posts and respond to you. Not clear about how to make a PM on the app or the web site either.

Tod
Old 01-27-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Tod, there appear to be some server-side issues at Sailnet that the admins cannot resolve. I've been having on ongoing one since late last year, where I can't log in, and after I log in (and the screen shows me as logged in) the system generates a vBulletin error message telling me I'm not logged in. While the screen shows I am.

If I go to the SailNet Community - Powered by vBulletin page, it won't log me in automatically. If I go to a forum message page directly, or from the main page, shazaam, I'm logged in automatically.

To me this says the cookie handling on the forum servers is corrupted, or a database holding user account information is corrupted, or some scripts are corrupted. SOMETHING is fubar on the server, the admins say everything is OK. The same problem (a server-side file corruption) could be behind your problem. Apparently only two or three members are having any problem with the server, or only two or three of us are able to post about problems.

I've also "cleared" the problem by resetting my password, once. But the next time I tried to do that, I couldn't resert my password because (drumroll) I wasn't logged in. Although of course I had been logged in, in order to open the UserCP at all.

I'm on other forums that use vBulletin, they work without problems. I've done the manual cookies purge, so that can't be the problem. I've tried multiple browsers and computers, so I know where the problem lives: On the Sailnet server.

I expect they'll have to raise the membership fees in order to bring someone in to fix the server problems. Just remember, if the postman brings you a tin can embossed with the Sailnet logo and there's a string attached to it, pull the string tight, do not cut it! That will be the new system being deployed. :-)
Old 01-27-2013
Sailor

Thanks - good to see in not alone. Hopefully it will get fixed but I'm not holding my breath! It simply means that my participation won't be as full or timely.
Old 01-27-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

I like it here, the drinks are bigger and cheaper than they are at the VFW hall, and the furniture way more comfortable. But hey, if the server goes belly-up some day...I did my part, I reported it was failing early on. That's all I can do.

Who was it, Clifford Stoll? Who some years ago found something like a 17-cent discrepancy in some mainframe payments that unravelled into a major espionage affair? Or it could just be cosmic rays. Literally, IBM used to say that a server would take 4 data hit from cosmic rays, every year, year after year.
Old 01-27-2013
Just another Moderator

Gents, I've reported these latest comments to admin as well.. and that's all I can do, the rest is up to them. Glad - have you tried the direct route to admin? Use the 'contact us' link at the bottom of the page.