SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Announcements and Suggestions Box (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/announcements-suggestions-box/)
-   -   Up the mast on the hard? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/announcements-suggestions-box/97396-up-mast-hard.html)

ScottyG24 03-08-2013 06:11 PM

Up the mast on the hard?

Planning on doing some top of the mast maintainace with my bosuns chair as I like tobe in the water a d ready early in the season.Only times ive been up the mast has been with a boat in the water. The boat is a 1988 Oday 272LE sitting on the hard in a cradle. Is going aloft with the boat on the hard a no-no?

Lake Superior Sailor 03-08-2013 06:16 PM

Re: Up the mast on the hard?

I have been up mine on a trailer without trouble! Why not..Dale

Faster 03-08-2013 06:22 PM

Ask your yard manager... many yards may prohibit this.. personally I think it's a bad idea..

dacap06 03-08-2013 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faster (Post 1000154)
Ask your yard manager... many yards may prohibit this.. personally I think it's a bad idea.

I agree, this is a bad idea. Going up the mast in a bosun chair on the hard is not a good way to save money. This is why yards have lifts, bucket trucks, and what not. They'll get you up far more safely.

Tom

T37Chef 03-08-2013 06:58 PM

don't do it for all the reason stated and then some

bljones 03-08-2013 07:20 PM

It is a deck stepped mast- with a gin pole and some assistance you can drop the mast and work safely in a lot less time than it takes to rig the chair and find someone willing to hoist you up and then back down to gather the gear you forgot, and then back up.
here's how:
Stepping Mast for O'Day 272? - SailboatOwners.com

Minnewaska 03-08-2013 07:40 PM

On a boat that size, and adults weight is clearly an issue when in the water. On the hard, I believe you are asking for trouble. Just because someone pulled it off, doesn't make it safe.

ScottyG24 03-08-2013 07:54 PM

Up the mast on the hard?

My yard has no lifts or any equipment other than a tug to put the boat in thier cradles in and out of the water. its a real throw back to the do it yourself era. Assuming proper use of the bosuns chair with two halyards can i ask is the issue that the keel n hull are not in the water thus only supported by the four jack pads on the cradle and the keel on blocks? What im saying isexplain to me in engineering terms how it differs from going up with the boat in the water?
I weigh 155lbs

Faster 03-08-2013 08:02 PM

From this article (first google hit)

Working Aloft

This paragraph:

Quote:

1. Do it while the boat is afloat. Most boatyards ban the practice of climbing the mast of a boat on the hard, and for good reason. A keel boat propped up ashore is defying gravity and your weight jerking around aloft can cause it to lose balance.
Thing is, if you somehow overbalance the boat afloat it will rotate around it's center of bouyancy and lean over... if you do it on the hard the boat rotates around the bottom of the keel.. if a stand slips, or your actions on the end of a 30+ foot lever otherwise compromise the delicate balance of a boat perched on the ground, you're going for a short (but nasty) ride to the ground, along with the boat.. and most likely trying to go through one or two neighbouring rigs too.

One average guy up the mast of a Formosa 41 in the hard?? maybe.. on a lightweight 30 footer? maybe too, but.....On a 25 footer I'd say no way...

ScottyG24 03-08-2013 08:27 PM

Up the mast on the hard?

thank you