Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Announcements and Suggestions Box
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road
Re: Sailnet Chat Silenced -- Day 2

The real question is whether the problem is with the antivirus program or the chat app. If the AV program is the problem, and you're seeing it on your home computer, you're right, you can disable the real-time scanning, but that brings with it other issues. If it's a work computer, your IT department may not be happy with you disabling real-time scanning (and may actually have policies in place that prevent you from disabling it).

The better solution, IMHO, is to wait for the chat vendor to fix the problem. It is entirely possible that the chat vendor's files were hacked and they are now pushing out a trojan to everyone. It's also just as possible that it's a false positive. If the later is true, that should be fixable in short order. If the former is true, then it may take longer to fix, but it will (hopefully) be fixed properly.

To those complaining about enabling/disabling chat, can this be done as a property in your profile? The s-c-r-i-p-t instantiating chat could look at the profile setting and determine whether to instantiate or not.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by jimgo; 05-15-2013 at 11:15 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-15-2013

cupper3 is on a distinguished road

I hope that chat disappears forever. On my android phone it'll pop up dominate the screen at times and there's no way that I can find to close it as opposed on a computer. I don't find it an enhancement to my experience on Sail net at all.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
knothead likes this.

Why are people happy to accept science which makes their life easier while rejecting science that makes their faith or beliefs more difficult?

Old 05-15-2013

steel is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesR View Post
Frankly, I think the admin's would be better off killing the off topic and political forums. But then the mod's would have nothing to do.
That does not necessarily mean that the posts of that subject matter would step being posted on the forum!

Quote:
It is entirely possible that the chat vendor's files were hacked and they are now pushing out a trojan to everyone.
Based on the name "env.nocache", my guess is it contains javascript to make the chatroom not cachable. This type of thing could be done by a browser exploit so that the malicious file is not written to the browser cache and then goes by unseen by the AV software. So it's a kind of generic false positive.

Is this what was triggering Norton Antivirus? http://d.envolve.com/env.nocache.js

Actually, yesterday night I confirmed that the sailnet forum is actually still compromised. I had that redirect to the malware download happen. Any files which are writable by the forum php scripts are potentially infested with this malware. Sometimes the forum software is installed as a different user than what the php scripts run as, and so in that case most of the forum files are read-only to the forum, and just the database and a few necessary configuration files are writable. But it's likely not set up that way.

The thing about antivirus software for web browsing protection is that it really isn't needed and just slows everything down. If your browser is up to date, it doesn't matter what site you visit, nothing should be able to enter your computer unless you click "Yes" on some download or java applet. If your browser is vulnerable, likely the malware on the remote website won't be recognized by the AV software anyway. Then there are some attacks which exploit the browser, then execute code immediately to install the virus on your computer before the file is written to the cache and the AV software has a chance to react. So what I'm saying is that if your browser is out of date and vulnerable then using antivirus software can help but it is not provide real protection compared to just updating your browser to fix any security problems that were discovered in it. If have an exploit for a browser all you have to do is modify it a little bit so the anti virus programs won't detect it anymore. Then it's back to square one.

Last edited by steel; 05-15-2013 at 12:18 PM.
Old 05-15-2013
Wish I never found SN!

SimonV will become famous soon enough

Well that explains why sailnet is running so fast, I was going to praise whoever fixrd the speed, but then I saw this and guess it will slow down soon.
jimgo likes this.

I love my boat
S/V GOODONYA
Brisbane
present location Heading to the Whitesundays

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DELIVERY SKIPPER
Drinking Rum before 10am makes you a Pirate NOT an alcohlic
Old 05-15-2013

steel is on a distinguished road

You can install NoScript in Seamonkey/mozilla/Firefox and then set it to allow all scripts. Then select the menu and disallow the domain name of the company that hosts the chat feature. I disallowed the google.com domain because the search suggestions feature would erase what I typed and was generally annoying.
Old 05-15-2013
Fortuitous

chip is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel View Post
You can install NoScript in Seamonkey/mozilla/Firefox and then set it to allow all scripts. Then select the menu and disallow the domain name of the company that hosts the chat feature. I disallowed the google.com domain because the search suggestions feature would erase what I typed and was generally annoying.
But then what would people complain about?

Way to ruin the Internet.
Old 05-15-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

While it doesn't make or break my day, whatever SN decides to do with Chat, I'm finding it ironically humorous that is has an absolute direct connect to the word Virus!

Nuf said.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 05-15-2013
Administrator

administrator has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
While it doesn't make or break my day, whatever SN decides to do with Chat, I'm finding it ironically humorous that is has an absolute direct connect to the word Virus!

Nuf said.
well - there's nothing truly linking the chat feature to the 'reports' of a virus but Envolve's lack of a response to me by either email of a phone call after reporting the errors messages has pretty much nailed the coffin closed for them to ever be put back on Sailnet IMHO.

Alternate Chat capabilities are being explored.
Old 05-15-2013

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about

Just a quick question. What happens when somebody says something "off topic" in the chat room?
Are there pitch forks and torches involved?
Old 05-15-2013
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Chuckles .... my post was very much tongue in cheek I assure you.

Me I'm not dissing anyone and I do 'visit' chat from time to time I just don't participate. To my mind Chat does have its place but as with some folk and Off Topic PRWG it's not my cup of tea. Horses for courses and all that.

If I have any major concerns re Chat it is ability to moderate but that goes back to day one and given that there has only been one slightly dodgey event my fears were seemingly ungrounded.

Cheers

Andrew B

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesR View Post
Boy, it doesn't bode well when mod's dis the folks that use chat.
My previous "there's a chat room" post was sarcasm. I'm in chat daily and find it a valuable means of communication with both folks I've met and new users asking questions.

Andrew, if you visited chat once in a while I'd value your opinion on the mindless chittering.

Frankly, I think the admin's would be better off killing the off topic and political forums. But then the mod's would have nothing to do.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.

Tags
blackout , chat , conspiracy , ohgoodgrief! , withdraw

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.