Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Announcements and Suggestions Box
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2013
Call me Ishmael

blowinstink is on a distinguished road
Re: Sailnet Chat Silenced -- Day 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by administrator View Post
well - there's nothing truly linking the chat feature to the 'reports' of a virus but Envolve's lack of a response to me by either email of a phone call after reporting the errors messages has pretty much nailed the coffin closed for them to ever be put back on Sailnet IMHO.

Alternate Chat capabilities are being explored.
Ouch. That sux. Think we can get smackdaddy reinstated over at CF?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-15-2013
Call me Ishmael

blowinstink is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by knothead View Post
Just a quick question. What happens when somebody says something "off topic" in the chat room?
Are there pitch forks and torches involved?
Actually, the beauty of the chatroom is that OT crap is, much like it is in real life, transient. In the forums, OT comments tend to become the subject of and then dominate otherwise substantive threads because they lose context and they gain permanence that would not occur in a normal verbal or chat exchange.

Similarly, there is an awful lot of sailing info exchange that is not worthy of an endless thread. "What sort of line should I use for X" is not a question requiring endless pontification -- just the brief answer of a trusted friend. Chat is great for that. In the forums, the "simple question" often leads to all sorts of ridiculous posturing and ridicule.

Chat might not be for you, but it has a place. Mostly it is just a sweet pick-up scene

BS
knothead likes this.
Old 05-16-2013
Tartan 37C

T37SOLARE is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by knothead View Post
Just a quick question. What happens when somebody says something "off topic" in the chat room?
Are there pitch forks and torches involved?
Knot,

No pitchforks, just some good friendly fun.

I really enjoy the time I spend in chat, and highly recommend reinstating it AS well as for more folks to drop in to say hello. I can't even count the number of new Sailnetters that come here that are too intimidated to post on the boards, it a great thing to be able to help them out either with a direct answer or directing them to properly posting their questions on the forums.

Think of it as the "Cheers" of sailnet, it's a great place to hang out with good folks that all have a common interest.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SOLARE
T-37 #442
Old 05-16-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Since SN is not a charity, I've never understood how chat drives eyeballs to advertising and the store. Seems it takes them away and would be counter productive. Maybe it just drives member numbers and the advertisers don't even know. I would have guessed, however, that SN would get a bump if a member actually clicks on an ad, and the topic sensitive interface is supposed to make that more likely.

If there is true Q&A on sailing related topics, I personally find it sad that it is lost the moment the chat window is closed. Still, whether in or out, isn't going to make or ruin my day. If there was any controversy at the time it was originally launched, it was only because the membership was asked for its opinion, which was promptly ignored. Just don't ask.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 05-16-2013
Administrator

administrator has disabled reputation

a little follow up - The Envolve Chat library is not infected or the cause of any issues here at Sailnet -

HOWEVER - their javascript was using use base64_decode which is a known method of exploiting a website and Norton/Symantec has a serious problem with...as do many other malware detection programs.

I run Norton/Symantec on my computer and when I went to www.envolve.com I got a warning that their site contain Malware and I was warned not to access that site.

It appears as though Envolve has finally taken these complaints seriously and as of this morning they appear to have re-written their .js code and the warning no longer exists.

Therefore I will be turning chat back on today after I reinstall their modules which I deleted for safety purposes.

Jeff J
Old 05-16-2013
Administrator

Chat is back!
Old 05-16-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

Jeff,
Just an FYI, my Symantec/Norton Antivirus is seeing the trojan again. Chat isn't coming up, either.
1975 Albacore 15

Old 05-16-2013

cupper3 is on a distinguished road

Can you advise is exactly how we can turn off the chat on a mobile phone. My case its an Android. It is easy to turn off chat on a computer laptop or desktop, however I get this chat thing floating around on my screen sometimes blocking what the post says itself and it's just very frustrating.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Why are people happy to accept science which makes their life easier while rejecting science that makes their faith or beliefs more difficult?

Old 05-16-2013
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Can you advise is exactly how we can turn off the chat on a mobile phone. My case its an Android. It is easy to turn off chat on a computer laptop or desktop, however I get this chat thing floating around on my screen sometimes blocking what the post says itself and it's just very frustrating.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
I have to disable chat on mobile from this end.
Old 05-16-2013
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgo View Post
Jeff,
Just an FYI, my Symantec/Norton Antivirus is seeing the trojan again. Chat isn't coming up, either.
I have Norton and I'm not getting any warnings - I would try clearing out your browser cache - let me know if that does the trick.

Tags
blackout , chat , conspiracy , ohgoodgrief! , withdraw

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.