Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Welcome to Sailnet > Announcements and Suggestions Box
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2013

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
Re: Like Button

Where do we go to see our .. umm, "thanks" ? With like you could go back and see which post it was and who liked it, which I'm sure everyone agrees is nice when you have spent a lot of time writing a post.

Now it just says someone thanked a post ? But it doesn't say which one, or who.

Please support my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-22-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post

However, in others, such as Thanks, I don't get it. Maybe an explanation that the software developer removed Like from the code, I would understand. Or, was it causing difficulty for the Mods? However, without any clarification, it often feels like someone is just playing with the features like it was a toy.

Thank, expresses gratitude

Like, is finding something agreeable

They are not interchangeable. It's a dictionary thing. I thought the like feature was one of the few non-controversial things around here.
Besides that if the idea is to provide a similar feature with the same objective why all the likes have disappeared from each one profile and are not converted in thanks? One more year and the "Thanks" will be substituted by "nice" and all "thanks" will disappear?

It seems to me that nothing of this was necessary or convenient and that the removal of "likes" from each one's profile it is unfair and an invitation to a lesser participation. after all they were there as a stimulus to a good participation and as a kind of reference to anyone that visited a profile and wanted to know more about the participation of a given poster.

I really don't get it. Maybe someone can explain the sense of all this? Why have the "likes" been removed from the profile? Why were they not converted in thanks? why the like feature that was a consensual one and was working alright was substituted for one that seems to be less consensual even if seems to serve the same purpose?

Regards

Paulo
wind_magic likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-22-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

My understanding is that we were upgraded to the latest version of Vbulletin, in part in response to the attacks the site appeared to be suffering.

This version uses 'Thanks', apparently.. but I agree it's not the same as 'like' and I suspect it will get less use. Minnie's right about the difference.

The loss of stacked up 'likes'/thanks is a shame.. but it's not anything we mods can deal with, we learned of all this the same time you did.
wind_magic likes this.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 05-22-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
....we learned of all this the same time you did.
I find this remarkably unprofessional of the powers that be at SN. Although, the entire process of customer interaction seems a bit novice. (not referring to moderation, just comm on upgrades and changes)

The good news is that there is a lot of upside for SN, if they could get their act together on these customer impacting issues.
wind_magic likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 05-22-2013
Administrator

administrator has disabled reputation

I think I'm going to go looking for a 'dislike' button!
wind_magic, deniseO30 and bljones like this.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to administrator For This Useful Post:
bljones (05-23-2013), blowinstink (05-22-2013)
Old 05-23-2013
Administrator

administrator has disabled reputation

the like button was felling unliked so it took a little cruise...

it's back now

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to administrator For This Useful Post:
deniseO30 (05-23-2013), egent (05-23-2013), Minnewaska (05-23-2013), T37Chef (05-23-2013)
Old 05-23-2013
Remember you're a womble

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road

I like like and thanks. Thanks
wind_magic likes this.

Old 05-23-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post

This version uses 'Thanks', apparently.. but I agree it's not the same as 'like' and I suspect it will get less use. Minnie's right about the difference.

The loss of stacked up 'likes'/thanks is a shame.. but it's not anything we mods can deal with, we learned of all this the same time you did.
After all the likes were not lost, a good thing

And now we have "thanks", "likes" and rep power. If I "thanks" a post it is because I liked, so I will send a "like" and a "thanks" but if I like a post I will not always be thankful to the one that posted it? Well maybe not, maybe the "thanks" will be only for the ones I "like" a lot. A bit confusing all this. The "like" was OK and working, the need of a "like" and a "thanks" beats me.

Maybe you have understood this better than me?

Regards

Paulo
wind_magic likes this.

Old 05-23-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

I think of it like this.

If someone posts a good observation, or a good joke, or makes a good, contribution to the conversation that could merit a 'like'.

If someone asks a specific question and it's answered in a helpful that OP could decide it was worth a 'thanks'... If I, not being the OP appreciated that same post I'd probably 'like' it.

So I think it's going to be OK... Thanks is appropriate at times, but less often, I'd think, than 'like'. btw our 'likes' stats are all back too!
wind_magic, T37Chef and deniseO30 like this.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
The Following User Says Thank You to Faster For This Useful Post:
T37Chef (05-23-2013)
Old 05-23-2013

T37Chef will become famous soon enough

and if you're not sure...thank and like. LOL
wind_magic likes this.

1982 Tartan 37 CB - Hull #358

The Following User Says Thank You to T37Chef For This Useful Post:
wind_magic (05-23-2013)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.