SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Apps & Authors (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/apps-authors/)
-   -   Garmin and Navionics Apps (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/apps-authors/102040-garmin-navionics-apps.html)

Cruisingdad 08-01-2013 04:09 PM

Garmin and Navionics Apps
 
I have both the Garmin and the Navionics Apps. I was reluctant about getting them at first, but I gotta tell you, I now do ALL my quick plotting off of them and I use them as backups.

I will give you my opinion on the two, so take it for just that. THe Navionics is cheaper and is easier to use. You can also get updates easier on it because it seems to be a smaller file. However, if I had to pick one, the Garmin App would def be the one I would choose.

I still have not figured out all the Garmin stuff, but I got it with the weather overlay also. It is very fast and I think the maps and options are better and more detailed. It is a little more difficult to figure out, but with the time, it is worth the investment.

Why would you purchase these if you have a Charplotter (or even have it on your IPad)?

For one, there have been many times we are hanging out with other sailors and inevitably (esp as cruisers) the discussion of anchorages and places to go comes up. I have also gotten great tidbits on shoaling and areas to watch out for. By having it on your phone, you can pull it right out and discuss it. Pretty much everyone carries their phone everywhere now days.

Second, it is MUCH quicker. Now, I only have an E80, but there is no comparison between the speed of plotting on the Iphone versus the Raymarine. Much faster on the Iphone... basically seamless. SO while I still lay in my course in my chartplotter, I can do my planning quicker with the app first.

Third, it gives a backup. Also, the charts are a bit different between the Navionics (Raymarine) and the Garmin. It is especially apparent for Bahamas stuff.


Anyways, for those going cruising, I would really check these things out. I think the Garmin app is running $50ish dollars plus like $4 for the overlay. The overlay works 'ok', but requires to be scrolled out to see it. Worth $4 though.

The Navionics is half of that IIRC. But like I said, I think the Garmin app is a bit better.

Others are free to throw in any other thoughts.

Brian

steve77 08-01-2013 04:37 PM

Re: Garmin and Navionics Apps
 
Being something of a computer geek (it pays the bills) I have both of those as well as iNavX, Navimatics Charts & Tides, and EarthNC Marine Charts. I haven't used them extensively at this point but so far I like EarthNC best, then Garmin. EarthNC uses digitized NOAA raster charts, which I like, maybe just because I'm more used to using paper charts than a chart plotter. The downside is that you're limited to the USA. They do have separate apps apparently for a few other areas (Bahams, Brazil, NZ).

xort 08-01-2013 05:53 PM

I consider apple to be the evil empire. Record profits while stashing huge billions offshore to avoid taxes. Abnormally high number of suicides at foxconn factory. ALL manufacturing moved out of usa to sweatshops overseas. Maybe others do similar but they are by far the leaders.

How about Android aps?

erps 08-01-2013 06:32 PM

Re: Garmin and Navionics Apps
 
I have a Navionics app for an Android and there is one thing I really don't like about it. Each time you start it, it checks to see if the license is good and it requires a signal to do that. I'm not always where I have cell phone coverage, so if I'm in a dead spot, the program won't boot. I had an older version on a touch and it didn't have that problem.

ebs001 08-01-2013 06:49 PM

Re: Garmin and Navionics Apps
 
I have the Garmin App on my iPad. The App was free. The Garmin Bluecharts were $39.99 but they cover from Trinidad to Northern Ontario, the Great Lakes, the Rideau and Trent-Severn Canals, the St. Lawrence River, the Canadian Maritimes and all of USA including Hawaii. My iPad has a built in GPS receiver so it's not necessary to be connected to the internet. I also have a Raymarine chart plotter which I use for my route planning because it is interfaced with my autopilot.

I mainly use the Garmin as a back up when cruising but I love the app for its backup role.

PaulinVictoria 08-01-2013 09:35 PM

Re: Garmin and Navionics Apps
 
I've got the Navionics on my Android phone and it's pretty good. I like it as a backup (I haven't installed a chartplotter on the new boat yet). The only highly annoying thing is that it doesn't suspend the screen blanking, so everytime I want to look at it I have to unlock my phone again. I think it was $15 or something for the whole of the US and Canada, and you can download areas for offline use (I have everywhere I am ever likely to cruise for the next several years at least). It's come in quite useful and my phone is waterproof too so I can actually use it on the boat without having to hide away or put a honking great case on it.

Also on a recent flight, my pilot was showing off his fancy GPS iPad application that had set him back a few hundred bucks. I pulled out my phone and my $15 Navionics and not only told him the inlet we were flying over, but how deep the water was :D

tdw 08-01-2013 10:38 PM

Re: Garmin and Navionics Apps
 
What charts are the various Android apps using ? I need an Android App that uses C-Map charts. US NOOA charts are of no interest, I need coverage for Oceania.

Bilgewater 08-01-2013 11:23 PM

Re: Garmin and Navionics Apps
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by erps (Post 1067784)
I have a Navionics app for an Android and there is one thing I really don't like about it. Each time you start it, it checks to see if the license is good and it requires a signal to do that. I'm not always where I have cell phone coverage, so if I'm in a dead spot, the program won't boot. I had an older version on a touch and it didn't have that problem.

Hey Ray...Mine doesn't do that on an iPhone. I also installed it on a friends Android just a month ago and showed him how to use it. I'm about 80% sure it didn't do that but I could be wrong as I haven't used his in a remote location. I will need to re-check his phone next week when I'm in town. I wonder if you just need the latest update...just a guess. Mine is the us&canada version.

Bilgewater 08-02-2013 12:10 AM

Re: Garmin and Navionics Apps
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by tdw (Post 1067906)
What charts are the various Android apps using ? I need an Android App that uses C-Map charts. US NOOA charts are of no interest, I need coverage for Oceania.

Andrew, As you know, I can't use NOOA charts either unless I'm in the States but Navionics has a version for Australia & New Zealand. They also have a version for Asia & Africa.
Mobile | Navionics
I use an iPhone but the apps are quite similar. The app won't use C-Maps but it has what I think is it's own good quality vector version. You would just select the areas you want within the app and it downloads the appropriate charts to your device for offline use. I don't have the Android version but I have used it a fair bit. Up here it includes the tides and currents so I would guess it includes the ones for your area.
Aside from my sailing, I spend much of my time on various workboats with no chartplotters or radar and my Navionics app works very well. It does not have a night colours function (which it should) but turning down the iphone brightness does the trick. I have compared the charts side by side with the C-maps on my laptop running OpenCPN and my Standard Horizon plotter on many occasions in some very tricky spots ever since this app became available years ago and I would say it is quite accurate. I am generally in a hurry when I'm working so I just hop in the boat, turn it on and go, so I don't use the plotting functions to a great extent but I have used it numerous times and it's quite user friendly and I think it works well. I do like this app! It is simple to use and I particularly like how the tides and currents section works overall.

Steve

chef2sail 08-02-2013 12:57 AM

Re: Garmin and Navionics Apps
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cruisingdad (Post 1067733)
I have both the Garmin and the Navionics Apps. I was reluctant about getting them at first, but I gotta tell you, I now do ALL my quick plotting off of them and I use them as backups.

I will give you my opinion on the two, so take it for just that. THe Navionics is cheaper and is easier to use. You can also get updates easier on it because it seems to be a smaller file. However, if I had to pick one, the Garmin App would def be the one I would choose.

I still have not figured out all the Garmin stuff, but I got it with the weather overlay also. It is very fast and I think the maps and options are better and more detailed. It is a little more difficult to figure out, but with the time, it is worth the investment.

Why would you purchase these if you have a Charplotter (or even have it on your IPad)?

For one, there have been many times we are hanging out with other sailors and inevitably (esp as cruisers) the discussion of anchorages and places to go comes up. I have also gotten great tidbits on shoaling and areas to watch out for. By having it on your phone, you can pull it right out and discuss it. Pretty much everyone carries their phone everywhere now days.

Second, it is MUCH quicker. Now, I only have an E80, but there is no comparison between the speed of plotting on the Iphone versus the Raymarine. Much faster on the Iphone... basically seamless. SO while I still lay in my course in my chartplotter, I can do my planning quicker with the app first.

Third, it gives a backup. Also, the charts are a bit different between the Navionics (Raymarine) and the Garmin. It is especially apparent for Bahamas stuff.


Anyways, for those going cruising, I would really check these things out. I think the Garmin app is running $50ish dollars plus like $4 for the overlay. The overlay works 'ok', but requires to be scrolled out to see it. Worth $4 though.

The Navionics is half of that IIRC. But like I said, I think the Garmin app is a bit better.

Others are free to throw in any other thoughts.

Brian

I also have both the Garmin and Navionics on my IPad, Droid phone and Navionics on my Ramarine c95w.

I prefer the Navionics for the superior tides and currents search and display. I prefer Garmin if I use the Active Captain.

As you said its easier to lay in the chart on an I pad/ android phone. My Chartplotter has a Bluetooth connect ability and you can transfer it right to the Chartplotter. Also my IPad serves as a second CP so no need for a secondary one t the nav station or in he cockpit when not behind the helm.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:49 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012