Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Apps & Authors
 Not a Member? 

Apps & Authors This forum is specifically designed for authors, designers, and members to showcase their wares. These must be sailing related!!!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By JonEisberg

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2013

Frogwatch is on a distinguished road
iPhone app for night sailing

While night sailing near shore, one of the most difficult things is to separate the lights from nav markers from the background lights on shore. What is needed is a phone app that when a phone is pointed in a direction it shows the nav markers one should be seeing and not show the background clutter.

This concept could be extended to sailing in daylight too. Consider the number of times you have been confused because although you believe the GPS, what you see is not what you expect to see. The app could take data from charts and display what you should be seeing and you would then feel better about where you are.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-22-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Re: iPhone app for night sailing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogwatch View Post

This concept could be extended to sailing in daylight too. Consider the number of times you have been confused because although you believe the GPS, what you see is not what you expect to see. The app could take data from charts and display what you should be seeing and you would then feel better about where you are.
Since no chart (paper or electronic) is 100% correct, shouldn't you believe what you see in reality rather than try to make reality match what you see on the chart? If it displays what it thinks I *should* be seeing and I look over my gunwhale and don't see it, how is that helping me feel better about where I am? I am where I am regardless.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne

Last edited by DRFerron; 08-22-2013 at 11:28 AM.
Old 08-22-2013

Frogwatch is on a distinguished road

I think the daytime app would give help in making you more confident in what you are seeing. It is very diff to ID one point of land over another particularly when there are no aids to nav.
I went on the wrong side of "Don' Rock" in the Abacos because I simply could not believe we were making nearly 8 kts in my 28' boat and thought it could not possibly be "Dont Rock". Fortunately, my draft is only 3'10". A pic of what I was supposed to see from where I was would have convinced me.
Old 08-22-2013
A mod and her dragon

Sorry. I think I get it now. You're saying the app will help you understand that you're in the wrong spot.

I'm on my second cup of tea now. My comprehension should be getting better soon.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Old 08-22-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
While night sailing near shore, one of the most difficult things is to separate the lights from nav markers from the background lights on shore. What is needed is a phone app that when a phone is pointed in a direction it shows the nav markers one should be seeing and not show the background clutter.
Sorry, but I would suggest one who 'needs' such an iPhone app to sail at night might best confine their sailing to daylight hours :-)

Hell, most boats I get on nowadays, I usually need a beach towel or blanket big enough to cover the cluster of glowing crap at the helm so I can actually see ANYTHING outside of the cockpit...

Quote:
I think the daytime app would give help in making you more confident in what you are seeing. It is very diff to ID one point of land over another particularly when there are no aids to nav.

I went on the wrong side of "Don' Rock" in the Abacos because I simply could not believe we were making nearly 8 kts in my 28' boat and thought it could not possibly be "Dont Rock". Fortunately, my draft is only 3'10".A pic of what I was supposed to see from where I was would have convinced me.
Presumably, you had a GPS, correct? And, a chart of some kind?

Why on earth would your plotted position on your chart be insufficient to "convince you" where you were, and yet a picture on a freakin' IPhone would have done so???

Have we really come to this? :-)
SVAuspicious likes this.
Old 08-22-2013

THEFRENCHA is on a distinguished road

I use INavX
A bit expensive but works perfectly Especially at night when you just want to check your position or way-point without having to go down in the cabin to look at plotter and awake the crew Very bright colors Easy to read and also very accurate
Old 08-22-2013
A mod and her dragon

I'm going to move this to the App section.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Old 08-23-2013
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
Hell, most boats I get on nowadays, I usually need a beach towel or blanket big enough to cover the cluster of glowing crap at the helm so I can actually see ANYTHING outside of the cockpit...
I'm with you my friend. Way too much light on way too many boats at night.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.