SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Ipad/ Bad Elf and Which App?

3K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  FirstCandC 
#1 ·
I am finally joining the electronic generation- moving beyond my Don Johnson-Miami Vice phone and depth sounder only combination.

Looked at marine handheld GPSs, but after you add the cost of a GPS and marine chart, you are looking at $250+ for a decent unit.
The Admiral has a wifi only IPad 2 (IOS 4.3.5). Thought I would get the Bad Elf GPS for it. I really like the looks of the ISailor app, but it requires IOS 5.0! I would rather not upgrade the IOS on the IPad, because I WILL mess something up.

Anyone using an Ipad 2 with IOS 4.3? If so, which app would you suggest? INav?? I am not using a chartplotter, just need basic marine charts. Thanks.

#3 ·
:) Andrew, he's balking at $250 and your answer is to buy something twice as expensive?

Try the iOS upgrade. It's really not hard. THEN go for the new iPad if you need to.

I don't have the iPad 2 but I have used the Garmin app on whatever wifi-only iPad version I have (4 maybe?) with Dual XGPS150A GPS and it worked beautifully.

#4 ·
I have heard good things about the bad elf GPS unit as well. I have been looking into this as my mother has two iPads and has offered me one. I don't know if they are wifi only or if it has cell phone option. I think I remember them saying they got it at a Verizon store, but I am not sure. Funny it is really just an expensive deck of cards for her, all she does is play solitaire on it! I have been looking into what GPS units will work with a Nook, as they are really inexpensive as well and can be rooted and many applications either side-loaded or added.

I think you should go ahead with the upgrade, should not be too tough.

#5 ·
You really should do the upgrade, it is painless, really it is. You'll find that as time goes by it will be increasingly difficult to get better apps if you do not.

I have an iPad 2 with the latest update, the Garmin GPS unit, iNavx for inland lakes. It works flawlessly, and with my limited experience I would recommend it for anyone.

Very useful.

#6 ·
Good point DR. However buying the bad elf to add functionality is throwing good money after bad IMHO.

That's why I suggested the investment in the iPAD mini. Yes it's more expensive but is a much longer term solution.

#11 · (Edited)
Take a crack at the $25 Charts and Tide App. It's not the most powerful app, but its incredibly easy to use, will show you your location on the chart and has both tidal, current and active captain data. Can't beat it, IMO, if you're not really looking for a full capable nav app, but only some secondary data.

I'm not sure where the mini came from. I would have strongly recommended buying a new iPad with internal GPS. You are NOT required to turn on the bundled 3G/4G service for the gps receiver to work. Bad Elf is fine, but clunky. They also make a bluetooth external reciever, which has the advantage of being able to remain plugged into a cig lighter and staying fully charged all the time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.