Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Apps & Authors
 Not a Member? 

Apps & Authors This forum is specifically designed for authors, designers, and members to showcase their wares. These must be sailing related!!!

Like Tree22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2013
Canuck Sailor

canucksailorguy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to canucksailorguy
Re: Cool new android app

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
Wally, I don't see how any of that's unusual in this day and age. As with anything internet-related, don't post what you don't want others to know. Period.
True enough Donna - but in order to play in most of these games, you have to pay, and the cost is information about yourself. My newspaper used to have a very significant database on its readers, pre-2000, which we were able to use to target readers for advertisers in a very specific manner. In fact, I'm not entirely certain that what we did then would be legal today.
I'm very aware of what can be done with these things, and would hesitate for that reason alone to involve myself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cuba - Forbidden Paradise
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-29-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucksailorguy View Post
True enough Donna - but in order to play in most of these games, you have to pay, and the cost is information about yourself. My newspaper used to have a very significant database on its readers, pre-2000, which we were able to use to target readers for advertisers in a very specific manner. In fact, I'm not entirely certain that what we did then would be legal today.
I'm very aware of what can be done with these things, and would hesitate for that reason alone to involve myself.
No one is forcing you to use it.
Tim R. likes this.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 08-29-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I think it's fairly obvious that if you're using an app that gives you personal information about a bunch of other boats, that when other people use the same app they will get information about your boat. It's your choice whether the benefit outweighs the loss of privacy. I see no sign of trickery here.
Grunthrie likes this.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 08-29-2013
Canuck Sailor

So let's see just what we get that enhances our sailing 'experience'....AIS class E - fine as long as you're within celphone range. Charts - which I already have. Active Captain - which is available otherwise, except for people such as Donna and I who have been barred from using it by its owner. Augmented reality - as long as you're within range of a cel tower. Social networking - or Facebook Lite for Boaters?
Really - is ANY of this necessary for a good day on the water? Does any of it improve or increase safety, or enjoyment? How did we sailors EVER survive without any of this? And are we getting too technological for our own good?
aeventyr60 likes this.

Old 08-29-2013
old guy :)

rikhall will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Really - is ANY of this necessary for a good day on the water? Does any of it improve or increase safety, or enjoyment?
Hey fellow Canuck. We coastal cruise for five or six weeks at a time in the summer (we too have a short sailing season). We use every source of information available to us to explore and find new places. And, there are times we would be very foolish to move without the technology that is available to us.

That said - if we just go out to our summer mooring on Grand Lake and have a "good day on the water" - then no, I don't need 95% of it. Heck - on a nice day it is all line of sight - I probably don't need 99% of it.

But going into Mistake Island in thick fog and blowing rain, it is nice to have been able to read reports from others who have done it. It is nice to see the rocks, buoys and other things on the radar and confirm them on the chart plotters.

And, going into Belfast it is nice to be able to call up the current phone number for the town dock on teh chart plotter so my Commodore can phone them and talk about mooring availability.

We have charts (paper and electronic), we have RADAR, AIS, chart plotters, VHF (DSC) and all the other things that we think we need.

We are both "Senior Navigators" with certification and usage with a sextant (which we have but would no more carry on a one month coastal cruise than we would for a "good day on the water" out on the lake.

As for social media, we have made some super friends on SailNet, Active Captain and FaceBook. We have shared meals and moorings, we have been in their homes, on their boats and have had them in and on ours.

Enjoy the way you do it and we'll enjoy the way we do it.

Shalom

Rik, Linda and Captain Hook
Old 08-29-2013
Canuck Sailor

Rik, I think I came across sounding like a Luddite with my last post. FYI, I'm a full time cruiser, anywhere between Lake Huron and the Caribbean. Most recent voyage was a delivery from Tortola BVI to the US coast, and bringing my own boat up the US east coast to the Chesapeake.
A lot of the time, areas I sail in don't have either cel or wifi access, or I'm simply too far offshore - thus I've decided to pare down what I use to what I know is always available for me, for safety's sake. I've discovered like tens of thousands of boaters before me that I can do just fine with charts, cruising and anchorage guides, a chartplotter and/or GPS and charts on my computer for planning. Dock and marina phone numbers are generally in the guides, so that's never been an issue. In any event, that's what I've used the VHF for...
I've only wanted RADAR a few times in the last ten years, and happened to have it on the delivery boat I actually needed it on, on the one of three times I could have justified having it.
As for reports from others, my experience (as a cruising editor with Waterway Guides) with the entire crowdsourcing thing has been that at least 50% of the information I've reviewed is either wrong or unreliable, and 20% wrong to the point of being dangerous. I won't trust my vessel, nor base my navigation decisions, on people whose skills and knowledge are unknown and who may have passed through the area once and gotten lucky in choosing an anchorage.
Are we in this to go sailing, or play with electronics? I vote for sailing...

[edit - if I sailed in an area of frequent fog, I would have radar....]

Last edited by canucksailorguy; 08-29-2013 at 11:54 AM.
Old 08-29-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Quote:
...As for reports from others, my experience (as a cruising editor with Waterway Guides) with the entire crowdsourcing thing has been that at least 50% of the information I've reviewed is either wrong or unreliable, and 20% wrong to the point of being dangerous. I won't trust my vessel, nor base my navigation decisions, on people whose skills and knowledge are unknown and who may have passed through the area once and gotten lucky in choosing an anchorage...
That concern seems plausible, and worth discussing. Is this what got you banned from using AC?

How about Donna? Same thing?

It would seem to me that banning someone over a legitimate concern such as this would be an overreach on the part of AC's management. I'd like to hear about it if this is the case, since open discussion of the merits and pitfalls of crowdsourcing should be encouraged, not penalized.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 08-29-2013
old guy :)

rikhall will become famous soon enough

Quote:
[edit - if I sailed in an area of frequent fog, I would have radar....]
Welcome to The Bay of Fundy and the Coast of Maine

And this was a really good "fog day". We were gone 31 days, five of them were less than 1/8 mile vis. And two of those were serious passage making through not nice stuff. We thought 5 out of 31 was a great number.

Rik
Old 08-29-2013
Canuck Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
That concern seems plausible, and worth discussing. Is this what got you banned from using AC?
No, it wasn't, it was another issue on another forum site, he has a habit of attacking people with whom he disagrees, it's well known in the industry - but if you'd like to better understand the man, search his posts here on Sailnet.

Old 08-29-2013
Canuck Sailor

[/QUOTE]And this was a really good "fog day". We were gone 31 days, five of them were less than 1/8 mile vis. And two of those were serious passage making through not nice stuff. We thought 5 out of 31 was a great number.
Rik[/QUOTE]

Ok, you've definitely made your point.....