SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Apps & Authors (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/apps-authors/)
-   -   Cool new android app (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/apps-authors/103043-cool-new-android-app.html)

Tim R. 08-28-2013 09:00 AM

Cool new android app

I just downloaded this app and will try it out later when back at the boat. The augmented reality is very cool. Just hold your phone camera up to the water and it will chow you ais targets, active captain and navigation buoys on the screen in relation to the image you are pointing at.

It uses the cell network so dont count on the AIS off shore.

Check it out; Smart Chart AIS | Marine Navigation, Charts, Augmented Reality, ActiveCaptain, Brunswick Maine

http://smartchart-ais.com/images/pshow1.jpg

xort 08-28-2013 10:02 AM

This is a us govt DHS sponsored program that requires you to register you and your vessel for tracking.

The reg process won't open for me at all, so I can't see how much they ask for.

dockbumdan 08-28-2013 11:26 AM

Re: Cool new android app

dosn't ask much, just? do you own any weapons? what is your cell phone number?
to you regularly speak to anyone overseas? stuff like that!

Tim R. 08-28-2013 11:48 AM

The registration did not work on my phone either so I registered on their website. They ask for all the same info that is available from the USCG documentation DB/state registration DB and FCC if you have DSC/SSB license.

Tim R. 08-28-2013 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dockbumdan (Post 1080727)
dosn't ask much, just? do you own any weapons? what is your cell phone number?
to you regularly speak to anyone overseas? stuff like that!

Not sure I understand this post.

It does ask for cell number which is not required unless you want the app to function properly. I saw nothing regarding weapons, foreign correspondence or anything of that nature.

dockbumdan 08-28-2013 11:59 AM

the post was my attempt at humor! since our friends at DHS have access to everything digital going out over the air waves. They must also want that info so they can better target YOU!

Tim R. 08-28-2013 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dockbumdan (Post 1080748)
the post was my attempt at humor! since our friends at DHS have access to everything digital going out over the air waves. They must also want that info so they can better target YOU!

Now I get it. Helps to add a little smiley face so folks get your intent. There are some here just paranoid enough to post something like that seriously.

I guaranty DHS knows a lot more about us then we suspect but that is a discussion for the war room.

I would like to get some feedback from people who try out the app. It has crashed on me once so far. It is the first version so I do not expect too much until they get some bugs worked out.

imasaluki 08-28-2013 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dockbumdan:1080727
dosn't ask much, just? Do you own any weapons? What is your cell phone number?
To you regularly speak to anyone overseas? Stuff like that!

lol

Skype account, too?

ltgoshen 08-28-2013 12:56 PM

Did not work on my phone galaxy2. After I tried to register it, it went into some kind of search mode and heated up my pone. I had to uninstall it and reboot the phone to get it to stop.. Apps are no more that I0I0 programs and need full BATA testing before release to the general population. This milk in the face attempt for a great app is shameful. Don’t get me wrong I love Jeff and the team over at Active Captain, but even if offering a free app, there is still an expectation to the end-user.
QA should have to signoff in BATA testing, were Hot fixes could be applied, well before a release date was interjected… Sailors are some of the pickiest people to sell to. We have no money. That’s why we have to fix our own boats. No really, I would have purchased this for around $49.00 or even $79.00 if the bugs were worked out before I watched it fail. Now is probable I will not look at it again. It has already hard wired my opinion. That’s what happens to us older folks. It’s hard to change our opinions once made.
Anyway. Just my 2 cents. Cheers,

Tim R. 08-28-2013 01:43 PM

Ummm, Beta.

Looks like they may have rushed the release.