Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Apps & Authors
 Not a Member? 

Apps & Authors This forum is specifically designed for authors, designers, and members to showcase their wares. These must be sailing related!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Nice Garmin BlueChart Feature

This weekend we used the Garmin BlueChart app on our iPad for navigation.

Features that I particularly like are the ability to place a photo at the boat's location on the chart and the notes. The app also enables users to place a dot (default symbol) at any location and add notes.

At the location where we anchored, I used the photo icon in the top right corner of the app to take a photo. The app placed a photo symbol at our boat's location. Clicking the symbol opens the photo. Once open you can edit information such as the name, depth and notes. The app adds a time and date stamp to the information as well.

Choose any location on the chart and press and hold. You can name the dot whatever you want and choose from a variety of symbols including anchor, dive flags (international and U.S.), fishing area, reef, swim area. Add standard information such as the depth and notes. The symbol can be deleted, emailed or shared using Facebook or Twitter. We pulled over and anchored for lunch. I created a dot for that spot and added appropriate notes for the next time we pass by.

Notes can be added to just about anything. It's almost like creating a personal journal/ship's log of your trip.

After I planned the route before we left, I also liked that I could email the route. The recipient sees a screen shot of the app.

Some additional things: John is kind of red/green color blind (USCG said he was, he is still in denial) and had a hard time seeing the default lime green track. It can be changed to a bunch of other colors. He also had difficulty seeing the sailboat icon that marked our boat on the chart. Halcyon is now depicted as a submarine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne

Last edited by DRFerron; 09-04-2013 at 10:36 AM. Reason: Corrected wine-related typos.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to DRFerron For This Useful Post:
brokesailor (09-04-2013)
Old 09-04-2013

TomMaine is on a distinguished road
Re: Nice Garmin BlueChart Feature

Thanks! I'm new using Garmins Bluechart app on an ipad and your post sped me through some tools.

The feature of placing info-and or a quick photo onto a point on the chart, will be quite valuable for me.

I'm a lazy "logger" so when I need to recall specific info from a point in time for an article, it's usually just a memory(or if I scribbled it down, it's on the boat,...).

This Garmin app on the ipad is effortless logging.

'I'd have written a shorter post, but I didn't have the time', Mark Twain.
Old 09-04-2013

glymroff is on a distinguished road

I too, am a IPAD user. I have a garmin gps (going at the helm), but the IPAD is going to be semi-permanent at the nav table (RAM mount). This sounds like a great app.

hold a sec... going to the app store now... :-)
Old 09-04-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Navionics HD for iPad is about $50.. looks like you need to buy bluecharts for $45 along with the 'free' app? Do I have that right?

Quite happy with our Navionics, but haven't gone the extra step of adding the GPS, mainly using it as a planning tool and backup for paper charts.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 09-04-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

I don't remember the charts being that much. Initially it was around $35 last year and then when they updated about March or so, $22 for the updated charts. Considering how much I paid per paper chart, I considered it a bargain for the area it covers. My paper charts are now the free printable chart booklets that NOAA issues.

I have a Garmin Bluetooth GPS puck that I used with my first netbook. It would not connect to the iPad for whatever reason. As far as I can tell, only the Dual XGPS and the Bad Elf GPS units will pair with the i-devices.

I also have three other nav apps installed and loaded with charts: Navimatics Charts and Tides, iSailor and Imray Charts. I have not yet tried those.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne