Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Apps & Authors
 Not a Member? 

Apps & Authors This forum is specifically designed for authors, designers, and members to showcase their wares. These must be sailing related!!!

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2014
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Re: What is the best Sailing book you have read?

"Princess" by Joe Richards, a true story written by a commercial artist that bought a languishing old Friendship Sloop in a NYC boatyard the Spring of 1938, somewhat restored her and sailed her south--temporarily interrupted by WWII--over the subsequent 15+ years. Joe was a great, innovative, artist and an insightful amusing author and I was somewhat sad when I finished the book and re-read it until my original 1957 copy completely disintegrated. "Princess", Eric and Susan's book of their voyage on Wanderer III and Robin Lee Graham's story of his voyage around the world, published in installments in the (pre-politicized) National Geographic, engendered my own enthusiasm for sailing. A few years ago I found a copy of Princess bundled together with his subsequent follow-on, "Key Biscayne", published by the David McKay Company in 1973, in a used book store and it now resides on my night table, as interesting and amusing to me now as it was 55 years ago.

If you can find a copy through an on-line used book dealer, it would be worth the effort.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-05-2014

captain jack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by titustiger27 View Post
is it sexist if you like women?

or do I need to make a venn diagram where the intersection is pink
it may be. after all, if you like women, that way, you are not thinking of them the same way you are thinking about men, unless you like men that way, too. perhaps, only bisexual people, or the 'new' asexual people, can truly be not sexists. amoeba are lucky. they just don't have a problem with sexism.

1971 Cal 27

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by captain jack; 01-05-2014 at 12:10 PM. Reason: i don't tend to like richfood products but their milk isn't too bad
Old 01-05-2014

Group9 is on a distinguished road

I like all of Hal Roth's books.
MY36 likes this.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Old 01-05-2014

captain jack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by titustiger27 View Post
Can I assume the name of the boat is FrankenSail
lol. first wind, actually. it was my first sailboat, thus the name.

part of the 'expereiment' is documented on Jim Michalak's web site. i haven't glassed on the permanent keel, yet, so i haven't sent him the final pics and information.

1971 Cal 27

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by captain jack; 01-05-2014 at 12:24 PM. Reason: can a ship, without sails, truly 'set sail'?
Old 01-05-2014

fryewe is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayer View Post
...I read an excerpt or abridged version of Shackleton’s book which was a great read (it was in a book of short stories that I think was just the last part of his adventure. It began when they left Endeavor on foot)...
You may be referring to "Shackleton's Small Boat Journey"...available in paperback. A terrific description of his Antarctic adventure from "abandon ship" to safety at the whaling station on Elephant Island. Fascinating story of leadership and survival. One of my favorites.
Slayer likes this.
Old 01-05-2014

Chas H is on a distinguished road

My favorite is: "Sailing Alone Around the World" by Joshua Slocum. One book I refer to often for reference is "Sailpower."
-Chas H]
Old 01-05-2014

manatee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
"Princess" by Joe Richards, a true story written by a commercial artist that bought a languishing old Friendship Sloop in a NYC boatyard the Spring of 1938, somewhat restored her and sailed her south--temporarily interrupted by WWII--over the subsequent 15+ years. Joe was a great, innovative, artist and an insightful amusing author and I was somewhat sad when I finished the book and re-read it until my original 1957 copy completely disintegrated. "Princess", Eric and Susan's book of their voyage on Wanderer III and Robin Lee Graham's story of his voyage around the world, published in installments in the (pre-politicized) National Geographic, engendered my own enthusiasm for sailing. A few years ago I found a copy of Princess bundled together with his subsequent follow-on, "Key Biscayne", published by the David McKay Company in 1973, in a used book store and it now resides on my night table, as interesting and amusing to me now as it was 55 years ago.

If you can find a copy through an on-line used book dealer, it would be worth the effort.
Great book! I found the same 2-in-1 edition. His daughter has re-issued it, including some of his paintings. You can get it here:

Princess
===========================

"The skipper should be the calmest person on board.
It is good for the morale of those around you. However, if everyone around you is frightened then be aware of the possibility that they know something you don’t."

~~Dylan Winter,
Old 01-05-2014
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

My list of non-fiction books is quite lengthy, but "The Boy, Me & The Cat." was a great read. "Storm Tactics" By Linn Pardey was a fascinating book that I couldn't put down until I finished reading it. Linn is an excellent writer and I can highly recommend this book for anyone who ventures offshore. "Away From It All" by Sloan Wilson, while not a sailing book, is a great book for anyone thinking about the cruising life and living aboard.

I have dozens of sailing books on the shelves, and It's really difficult to recommend one over another - they all have their attributes.

Gary
Swest57 likes this.
Old 01-05-2014

capecodda is on a distinguished road

I like Coles, Heavy Weather Sailing.

Oh, and to be clear, to read, not to do!
Old 01-05-2014

algee is on a distinguished road

Herb Payson's books are fun to read.

Tags
books , favorites , sailing , sea , water