Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Apps & Authors
 Not a Member? 

Apps & Authors This forum is specifically designed for authors, designers, and members to showcase their wares. These must be sailing related!!!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2014

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road
Re: Yacht Question From Author

Dirt person is incorrect. You may be referring to a "dirt dweller". That common ailment may be cured by some sea time. It may just save your life.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-08-2014
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabiny101 View Post
Thanks for your reply! .... And the yacht in question is supposed to have been built by a local family of Portuguese boat builders in Sausalito as a sea going vessel. I'm mostly using the Little Windflower as a reference...
If you're at all concerned about historical accuracy, you might do a little research into the presence of Portuguese in California. While some Azorean Portugese were engaged in the maritime trades, primarily whaling largely focused on the Monterrey area, the vast majority were involved in farming, primarily in Southern California. In northern California, for example, one Portuguese family dominated the Sweet Potato trade from the mid-1800's well into the mid-1900's. By comparison, boat building, particularly in the Sausalito and San Francisco area, was dominated by Italian immigrants--initially Genoese but, after the 1890's, Sicilians. Their only competition were the Chinese but repressive laws passed in the late 1800's forced the Chinese away from the area. Even today, "Fishermans' Wharf" is still dominated by the descendents of old Italian families. As for the Portuguese--actually Azorean Portuguese--their maritime heritage in the US was more focused on the Hawaiian Islands but more so, the northeast coast, particularly around New Bedford.

Just a thought...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 03-08-2014
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road

Something else to think about (or not), the boat you are using as a model would certainly be considered to be a yacht in finish and purpose. A yacht at the time would likely have had paid crew. Building yachts requires additional skills beyond what would be needed to build a working boat (either could cross oceans if stout enough). Without knowing anything about the Portuguese boat builders I don't know which they would build, but I suspect it would be more of a workboat than a yacht.

BTW, have you looked at the Voyage of the Snark by Jack London. It is a non-fiction book about the building of his 45' yacht and subsequent voyage to the South Pacific. The Snark was built in Oakland and its launch was delayed by the 1906 earthquake. Probably a boat very much like the one you want.
Old 03-08-2014

manatee is on a distinguished road

"The Sailor's Word Book" free download

Jack London's ketch, the Snark, as killarney mentioned built just before the '06 quake, had a gasoline engine that failed before they left San Francisco for Hawaii. London's "The Cruise of the Snark" will give you period local color if you can use it. Click the title to read/download it for free.

Many yachts of the time carried folding deck chairs, so your people can put up a fly & sit pretty much anywhere.

Need a test audience/proof-reader? We're here.
===========================

"The skipper should be the calmest person on board.
It is good for the morale of those around you. However, if everyone around you is frightened then be aware of the possibility that they know something you donít."

~~Dylan Winter,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-09-2014

Sabiny101 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeventyr60 View Post
Dirt person is incorrect. You may be referring to a "dirt dweller". That common ailment may be cured by some sea time. It may just save your life.
Would love some sea time! And thanks for correction.
Old 03-09-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
If you're at all concerned about historical accuracy, you might do a little research into the presence of Portuguese in California. While some Azorean Portugese were engaged in the maritime trades, primarily whaling largely focused on the Monterrey area, the vast majority were involved in farming, primarily in Southern California. In northern California, for example, one Portuguese family dominated the Sweet Potato trade from the mid-1800's well into the mid-1900's. By comparison, boat building, particularly in the Sausalito and San Francisco area, was dominated by Italian immigrants--initially Genoese but, after the 1890's, Sicilians. Their only competition were the Chinese but repressive laws passed in the late 1800's forced the Chinese away from the area. Even today, "Fishermans' Wharf" is still dominated by the descendents of old Italian families. As for the Portuguese--actually Azorean Portuguese--their maritime heritage in the US was more focused on the Hawaiian Islands but more so, the northeast coast, particularly around New Bedford.

Just a thought...
From the research I've done, it seems that there was a fair amount of Portuguese in Sausalito. Boatbuilders and dairy farmers, in particular, are mentioned. My own family was originally from one of the islands and came over in 1870s. And yes, the laws that they passed to try and stop the Chinese immigrants were pretty brutal, which only seemed to compound the issue of importing slave girls into SF. The poor crib girls! And the bubonic plague outbreak in 1900 gave everyone an excuse to put barbed wire around China Town and burn the one on Honolulu to the ground.

I did think it interesting, from what I understand, Fisherman's Wharf used to be down by Front street and then later moved to its current day position. Have you read that as well?
Old 03-09-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by killarney_sailor View Post
Something else to think about (or not), the boat you are using as a model would certainly be considered to be a yacht in finish and purpose. A yacht at the time would likely have had paid crew. Building yachts requires additional skills beyond what would be needed to build a working boat (either could cross oceans if stout enough). Without knowing anything about the Portuguese boat builders I don't know which they would build, but I suspect it would be more of a workboat than a yacht.

BTW, have you looked at the Voyage of the Snark by Jack London. It is a non-fiction book about the building of his 45' yacht and subsequent voyage to the South Pacific. The Snark was built in Oakland and its launch was delayed by the 1906 earthquake. Probably a boat very much like the one you want.
I've not read that book yet, but will put it on my list. I love Jack London's books. I'm currently reading Sea Wolf.
Old 03-09-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by manatee View Post
[url=http://www.gutenberg.org/files/26000/26000-h/26000-h.htm]
Need a test audience/proof-reader? We're here.
If you're willing... LOL, I wouldn't mind. It's currently with my editor and a beta reader, but they don't even live around the ocean, let alone sail. Very little of it takes place on a boat, but I always strive for accuracy. If you have an ereader, Kindle or any others, I can send a .mobi or .epub. I'd be very grateful. I'm guessing there is a Private messaging ability on this forum, so if you like historical mysteries, just let me know.
Old 03-09-2014
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

WRT deck chairs, the pictures of that boat show a tiny cockpit, crowded foredeck, and the cabin trunk overhung by the boom. You'd need to be a midget in a mighty short chair to sit under that boom, and even swinging it outboard wouldn't leave a lot of clear space.

I'd vote for the crowded cockpit as being the most practical space to sit in.
The Following User Says Thank You to hellosailor For This Useful Post:
Sabiny101 (03-10-2014)
Old 05-27-2014

Hi all,

Just wanted to thank you again for answering my questions. My book was released today and I made sure to include Sailnet in acknowledgements. If anyone is interested in checking it out, here is a link with more information: New Release: From the Ashes | Of This And That

And if anyone happens to read it and finds any sailing errors, please feel free to let me know and set me straight.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sabiny101 For This Useful Post:
mstern (05-28-2014)