Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Apps & Authors
 Not a Member? 

Apps & Authors This forum is specifically designed for authors, designers, and members to showcase their wares. These must be sailing related!!!

Like Tree47Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2008

VASailor10 is on a distinguished road
A Voyage for Madmen again is a great book, and so are the Audbrey-Martin series. Additionally The Old Man and the Sea and Islands in the Stream by Hemingway are very capital.

-Spencer
Old 10-08-2008

davidbaer is on a distinguished road
Rec Reading

One of the great sea stories of all time:Alfred Lansing's: Endurance, The Story of the Shackelton Expedition.
The story of the survival of the Shackelton expedition. I think it has it all, a great objective gone wrong, a leader of historic proportions, teamwork and at the end when the battle appeared to be lost one of the epic (really) small boat voyages in western history. And it even (unlike most true stories like this) has a happy and triumphant ending with all returning home safely.
If it were fiction it would have never been published because it is too improbable.
As an added benefit great photography by Frank Hurley.
Lou452 likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-08-2008

jjablonowski is on a distinguished road
Sail Power by Wallace Ross was mentioned a couple of pages back. I'd recommend Sailpower: Trim and Techniques for Cruising Sailors by Peter Nielsen. Awesome! Not elementary stuff but rather practical, informative how-to's.

For fiction, with a historical bent, try Call of the Sea by Philip V. Wallace. When Britania ruled the waves.
Attached Thumbnails
Recommended Reading-sailpower.jpg   Recommended Reading-call-sea.jpg  
Old 10-19-2008

VASailor10 is on a distinguished road
Does anyone know of a good book on Modern Sailboat Rigging? Every book I seem to find is about classical old fashioned rigging which granted has the same basic tenets of modern rigging except with different materials. Specifically what I'm looking for is extensive information of turnbuckles and cable.

-Spencer
Old 10-24-2008

WDaniels is on a distinguished road
I was told about a book but cannot remember the name properly. It is something like "this boat don't float" or some such. Is suppose to be funny and well as instructional. Does anyone know of the book? I didn't get past page ten of the posts so if it is mentioned after that, forgive me.
WD
Old 10-24-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Have you looked at Brion Toss's The Complete Rigger's Apprentice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VASailor10 View Post
Does anyone know of a good book on Modern Sailboat Rigging? Every book I seem to find is about classical old fashioned rigging which granted has the same basic tenets of modern rigging except with different materials. Specifically what I'm looking for is extensive information of turnbuckles and cable.

-Spencer

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-27-2008

dell30rb is on a distinguished road
Racing Through Paradise by William Buckley

70 foot ketch crosses the pacific in the 80's.
Old 10-27-2008
Montgomery 17

Perithead is on a distinguished road
When I first read this thread, I thought to myself that Sonofason(original poster) was right. A "library" as he put of sailing books would be great.

Well I have just recently put a website on the web (today actually) and I have a page on it that I want to be somewhat of a library of reading material related to sailing and the sailing lifestyle. But I myself have not read every book out there so I am coming to the Sailnet community and asking for some help.

What I am asking isnt very complicated I dont think. I have a page up here that I would like to expand and include as many books as I can. I have few on there now but I need some input for some more. I guess over the next few days I will go through this thread and add the books mentioned.

I also plan on adding reviews of each individual book to the site. That is where the general public come into play. I hope that viewers will give input and send in reviews of some of their favorite books via email. I will then add them to the books.

Tell me what you guys think. This post is not meant to be for website promotion but to tell everyone what I am trying to do and maybe get a little help.

Thanks Everyone.

Sailing Videos, Woodworking Videos and More!
Old 11-17-2008

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
more great books not yet mentioned

Northern Light by Rolf Bjelke & Deborah Shapiro about a voyage from the Arctic to Antarctic in a 40' steel boat - excellent pictures as well as narrative.

Cruising Rigs & Rigging by Ross Norgrove - excellent book from one very experienced sailor

Log of the Mahina by John Neal - his first book about his pacific voyage in a Vega 27

The African Queen by C.S. Forester - a novel of WWI made into a great movie with Humphrey Bogart & Katherine Hepburn

High Endeavors by Miles Clark - a biography of Miles & Beryl Smeeton by Miles'
godson (a very accomplished writer who as I recall sailed to Estonia in a wooden sailboat and mysteriously died after his return - there was a book but I can't remember the name - help appreciated

The Voyage of Kristina by Wayne Carpenter - family voyage in a Norsea 27

A Life In Boats - the Concordia Years by Waldo Howland

Sealord , Wildtrack, and other novels of the sea by Bernard Cornwell

A Dream Of Islands by Philip Teece - sailing without an engine in a small boat
among the Gulf Islands of the B.C. coast over a 20 year period

The Grey Seas Under & The Serpents Coil by Farley Mowat - non-fiction acounts of deep sea salvage tugs owned by the Foundation Co. of Newfoundland - awesome tales of rescue & seamanship

Cockleshell Heroes by C.E. Lucas-Phillips - true story of the canoe raids the
Royal Marines carried out on enemy shipping in Bordeaux in WWII led by Colonel Blondie Hasler who went on to originate the Observer Singlehanded
race across the Atlantic as well as the first popular commercial vane steering gear

Running Wild by Antony Trew - a modern sailing novel and a good read

Princess New York by Joe Richards - a novel that was originally serialized in Rudder Magazine in the late 60's ( my age is starting to show - I read it every month in my dad's copy of the magazine) It chronicles the purchase of a rundown Friendship Sloop and the rebuilding of same in a rundown boatyard.
An excellent book very well written. I now have a first edition in my library.

Trustee From The Toolroom by Nevil Shute - the last novel by this author which involves intrigue and sailing the south pacific. It was published a few months after Shute died. He was a personal friend of Miles Smeeton and as I recall wrote the foreword in one of Smeeton's books.

Mutiny On The Bounty by Charles Nordhoff & James Norman Hall - really a piece of history as well as the story behind sevral excellent movies

Survive The Savage Sea by Dougal Robertson - the true chronicle of survival after the family's yacht is sunk by killer whales in the Pacific

Hostage To Fortune by Ernest K. Gann (his autobiography) an excellent book
by one of the best writers I have ever come across and though not all sailing related his other 25 or so books are well worth reading - Song Of The Sirens
has already been mentioned but deserves a second mention

Bill Garden has published several design books where each boat is described in the designer's excellent prose.

Single Handed Passage & Temptress Returns by Edward Allcard written in the early 1950's. excellent books by one who sailed an old (1910 built) 34' gaff yawl across the Alantic and back. While in New York he spotted Sea Wanderer, a newer derelict in the Hudson River (built in Germany in 1911) and purchased her for $250. He laid her up in New York and sailed Temptress back to the UK. He later took a delivery trip to N.Y. and set about readying Sea Wanderer for his dream - a circumnavigation which he completed in 1973
without satnav, liferaft or even a radio. The beginning of this trip is told in Voyage Alone. He sold Sea Wanderer in 1974 & purchased a 69' gaff schooner that had been sunk in St. John's Harbour, Antigua 6 months before and spent the next 30 years restoring her first in the Seychelles and then in the Far East. Johanne as she was named was finally sold to the City of Badalona in Spain as a sail training ship in 2006. 85 years after his first sail Edward hung up the anchor. He is working on his 4th book about the South American legs of his circumnavigation. He took up scuba diving at 65, windsurfing at 70 and skiing at 75 and at 92 still skis! (his books were some of the first I read about sailing and I treasure a first edition of Single-Handed Passage)

The pile of books beside my chair is getting pretty high so I'll finish for now, but I'll think of more no doubt.
Old 11-17-2008

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
a few more...

Navigation for Yachtsmen and Celestial Navigation for Yachtsmen by Mary Blewitt (better known under her real name of Mary Pera) was a top ocean racing navigator, secretary of the Royal Ocean Racing Club and chairman of the RYA Racing Rules Committee in the UK. both are well written and easy to understand.

Steve & Linda Dashew's books - Bluewater Handbook, Surviving The Storm, Offshore Cruising Encyclopedia first & second editions. While all their boats have been large 50 to 77 footers his systems engineering is very extensive and can be applied to any size cruiser. The easiest to understand, best written technical books I have ever read. Calder's books are excellent but Dashew's are ones you don't want to put down.

My Lively Lady by Sir Alec Rose - a book about his circumnavigation from England to Australia & back.

Capsize by Commander William King - a great book about his attempts to sail around the world nonstop and his eventual success with stops. King was already planning to sail around the world before the Sunday Times Golden Globe Race was announced. His boat was a cold molded plywood schooner designed by Angus Primrose with an unstayed junk rig. The rig was similar to that of Jester, Colonel Hasler's boat
from the singlehanded trans-atlantic race. Hasler worked with Primrose to design the boat. He got caught up in the organized race after it's announcement. He has explained that he joined the race as a means of recovering from fifteen years of service in submarines - he is one of the most decorated submarine commanders of WWII. He was rolled and dismasted on the first try. He tried and again failed in 1969. In 1970 he sailed for the third time and stopped in Australia because of poor health. After leaving Australia he was almost sunk by a whale or shark 400 miles from Fremantle. After heroically limping to shore after emergency repairs, he finally finished his circumnavigation in 1973. The boat was eventually lost during the singlehanded transatlantic race of 1996 when owned by Peter Crowther.

All for now