Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Apps & Authors
 Not a Member? 

Apps & Authors This forum is specifically designed for authors, designers, and members to showcase their wares. These must be sailing related!!!

Like Tree49Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2010

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Ditto on Cornwell" "Wildtrack".

If you are a small boat sailor, or a novice sailor, or a Hudson River/ Long Island Sound saillor, I highly recommend this:

Amazon.com: A Splendid Madness: A Man, a Boat, a Love Story (9781574091793): Thomas Froncek: Books

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 12-05-2010
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Has Jerome K Jerome's wonderful "Three Men in a Boat" got a run before this ?

Absolutely nothing to do with sailing but a lovely book on messing about in boats.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 12-06-2010

Kenif is on a distinguished road
To echo the fuzzy one check out the BBC DVD on Three men in a Boat but even better Three Men in Another Boat.
Old 12-06-2010

mstern is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikhall View Post
OK - been through all 36 pages and did not see these:

Fiction

Bernard Cornwell: Wildtrack, Stormchild - both "modern" thriller / sailing / mysteries (he also has lots of other sailing series)

Desmond Bagley - The Golden Keel

Rik
Thanks Rik. My local library had Wildtrack and another of one of his sailing stories "Crackdown", and I just read them both. Both very enjoyable "thriller" type books. I think there are three other similar Cornwell books, which I will ask my library to find (a great service of my local library: if they don't have it, they will look for it from other libraries in the state and borrow it from them for me if it is available). One caveat about Crackdown and Wildtrack: the main character in both was basically the same guy: a former Royal Marine named Nick, who has problems with his father and just wants to sail away to the South Pacific with the girl he loves. I hope the other three books have a little more variety.
Old 12-06-2010
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenif View Post
To echo the fuzzy one check out the BBC DVD on Three men in a Boat but even better Three Men in Another Boat.
to clarify something Kenif.....the TV series is a re-enactment not a film of the book itself, Three Men in Another Boat was a second series by the same guys.

The book was turned into a film in the 1950s staring Lawrence Harvey. I've never seen it but would love to get hold of a copy.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 12-07-2010
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road
Just finished reading "Godforsaken Sea" by Derek Lundy about the 1996 Vendee Globe. A very good read and primer for the Vendee Globe. I'm 100% cruiser and rarely follow racing, but Lundy does a nice job of bridging the gap.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-10-2010

Hesper is on a distinguished road
Just finished Anthony Bailey's "Coast of Summer", so I'll second (third?) that one.

Harvey Oxenhorn's "Tuning the Rig" - no, not technical, but rather a sailing story of self-discovery; non-fiction.

Some years ago I ran aross a little book whose author I can't remember (it's at home; I'm not) called "What now, Skipper?" It sets up a series of incidents, then puts you at the helm to find a solution. Rather fun.

I grew up on Hornblower and all the books inspired by that one and have to say for the record that I HATE Patrick O'Brien's books. 150 pages and nothing happens! I tried two of them, couldn't take any more boredom.
Old 12-10-2010

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
Not sure if these have been mentioned and don't have the time to check.

Song of the Sirens by Ernest K Gann

Princess, New York by Joe Richards
Old 12-26-2010

sealover is on a distinguished road
Code, Welcome! I also sailed from an armchair before buying a boat. While you're reading the romantic stories slip Chapman Piloting
in there too.

Just got this for Christmas:

Atlantic: Great Sea Battles, Heroic Discoveries, Titanic Storms,and a Vast Ocean of a Million Stories by Simon Winchester

Have very much enjoyed a few of his other books. This one just came out a month or two ago. Read the preface Christmas morning -- couldn't put it down!

S/V Waitara
Venture 21
PA Freshwater / Chesapeake
Old 12-26-2010
Super Fuzzy Moderator

Penguin Book of the Ocean - edited by James Bradley.

I find that these compendiums are great things to have on board for those times when you have nothing else to read. Always packed with old favourites and invariably for me at least, a few previously unknown.

The Oxford Book of the Sea (edited by Jonathan Raban) has been worth its place on board our old girl for donkey's years and now it has shelfmate.

The PBOTO, include snippets from Coleridge, Conrad, Raban, Slocum, H D Thoreau, Steinbeck, Darwin and J Cook, to name a few. Few of us have the shelf space to have all of these works on board but if like me you can get enjoyment from dipping in on the odd occasion then you'll enjoy this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.