Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Apps & Authors
 Not a Member? 

Apps & Authors This forum is specifically designed for authors, designers, and members to showcase their wares. These must be sailing related!!!

Like Tree42Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2011

Capt Len is on a distinguished road
If you know an adolescent of any age or gender give 'The Last Grain Race' by Eric Newby as a Christmas gift.By spring they will be on sailnet looking for a berth.I'll bet that's more of a goal than you had.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-14-2011

mstern is on a distinguished road
Just finished two sailing mysteries/thrillers:

Killer's Wake - Bernard Cornwell, and Shot in the Dark - Tony Gibbs. The Cornwell book is like his other sailing thrillers that have been mentioned here, but this one is more of a mystery than a thriller. Vagabond sailor (an impoverished Earl, no less) returns to England for his mother's funeral and has to deal with his very nasty family and a missing Van Gogh painting worth millions.

The Gibbs book is different, and not only because its set in Santa Barbara instead of England/Channel Islands. More of a conventional murder mystery, but lots of sailing/nautical stuff. The characters are really nice too, very fleshed out. I bought both books from Amazon (along with another Cornwell thriller, "Scoundrel", that I will hopefully get to soon), but it turns out that I had read Shot in the Dark when it first came out about 15 years ago. Still enjoyable as I had mostly forgotten what had happened. I think there is a second book in the series that I will now try and find.

Last edited by mstern; 11-22-2011 at 09:40 AM.
Old 11-16-2011
Little Fish

HollieMac is on a distinguished road
Sailing Into the Abyss

Is not about sailing as much as it is the merchant ship SS Badger State in 1969 carrying a load of bombs to resupply the Air Force in Vietnam.
Encountering heavy weather which caused an already wobbly ship to roll 45 degrees continually, the bombs in the cargo holds broke loose and wreaked havoc. Well written by William Benedetto, the story itself is engrossing, but I shook the book several times in the last half because he kept wandering away into other incidents (to pad a short story) and it was annoying as you really want to stay in the story. I had to skim those asides and pick them up after the finish. Still a good choice for a true story of courage, desperation, and rescue. See more reviews on amazon
Old 11-22-2011

mstern is on a distinguished road
Scoundrel - Bernard Cornwell

Cornwell is known mostly for his historical novels, but his thrillers are terrific too. This novel has less sailing/nautical flavor than the other suspense books he has written. The heros in Killer's Wake, Stormchild, Crackdown, etc were all of a type: lone sailors running from an unhappy past that just needed the love of a good woman to be happy. Lots of sailing, some exotic locales, yet very English. The "hero" in Scoundrel isn't really like that. Sure, he's a basically unhappy guy, but he's not the slightly scruffy but with a heart of gold; this guy is a member of the Provisional IRA. A terrorist. Well, not really, or fully, but really sort of (no spoilers here!). The book is set in 1991 during the lead up to the first Gulf War. The Troubles rule in Ireland, the Provos are in full swing, and our hero is caught in the middle when he is hired to sail $5 million in gold across the Atlantic so the IRA can buy Stinger missles from the Cubans; except our hero decides to steal the gold and get out of the business altogether. Along the way, we find out just how deep his involvement in the IRA has been, and what he has done in his past, and how he is linked to Palestinian terrorists.

I usually start to squirm when I read these types of books as they just seem so unrealistic. But the scale on this one is right: the bad guys are bad, but they don't want to rule the world, just kill a few people. And although some of the plot lines are dated (when was the last time you heard about the IRA?), the middle east terrorists and their goals could have be written yesterday.

In all, a good book, but I was expected (and hoping) for more sailing/nautical stuff. In his other thrillers, even when the characters aren't aboard a boat, they LIVE the sailing life, and that comes through strongly throughout the stories. In Scoundrel, the lifestyle is really just a flavoring for the main story.
Old 03-13-2012

BreakAwayFL is on a distinguished road
Re: Recommended Reading

The Complete Sailor by David Seidman
DRFerron likes this.
Insanity Later
Walker Bay Dingy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-13-2012
captain mike

capt13 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfesq View Post
Yes, I have read all of the OBrian books and loved them.
I would also throw in Sail Trim.
Here are two books I know anyone who sails will enjoy:

A Voyage for Madmen by Peter Nichols
This is the story of the first Round Alone Race. A great read.

His other book, Sea Change: Alone Across the Atlantic in a Wooden Boat is an absolute must read if you can find it. It is a memoir of his transatlantic journey from England to the US on an engineless wooden boat. Sounds boring? No, here is the rub...He finds his recent ex-girlfriend's diary on board, (She was doing everyone in town), and his boat is slowly sinking. It's a train wreck and the best part is that it is true.

I just picked up his newest book, Evolution's Captain and will let you know how it reads.
A voyage for madmen is an awesome book !
MarkSF likes this.
Old 06-05-2012

bshamblin is on a distinguished road

anything by lin and larry pardey.

anything by p c bolger - 101 sailing rigs
Old 06-06-2012

Kalina-Lona is on a distinguished road

Great resource...just what I was looking for!

Thanks all,
Old 07-21-2012

utchuckd is on a distinguished road

I just finished the Brethren of the Coast trilogy. I would recommend it and appreciate whoever suggested it. About 30 pages into Maiden voyage and dig it so far. Actually switching between it and Don Casey's Complete Illustrated Sailboat Maintenance Manual, which seems like it will be very helpful when I get that boat.
Old 07-24-2012

miss medic is on a distinguished road

Good reads. I'm looking forward to checking as many of these out