Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Apps & Authors
 Not a Member? 

Apps & Authors This forum is specifically designed for authors, designers, and members to showcase their wares. These must be sailing related!!!

Like Tree47Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2012

MarkSF is on a distinguished road
Re: Recommended Reading

Did I already mention "The Custom of the Sea" by Neil Hanson?

"Survival cannibalism was once so common that it was “The Custom of the Sea.” Neil Hanson’s book of that name recounts the most notorious instance of this custom in British maritime history. Off the coast of Africa in 1884, a freak wave crushed and sank the Mignonette, an unseaworthy yacht bound for Australia. Three crew members survived in a dinghy for four weeks by killing and devouring a 17-year-old cabin boy, Richard Parker. Rescued by a German steamer, the men of the Mignonette returned to a sympathetic British public and a government determined to prosecute."
Old 07-24-2012

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

"No Fixed Address" by Clive Hammill is a hard book to put down, as is "Around the World on Viski" by Don Shore.
The NW Passage on $10 a day " by George Hone, is a good read, as is "Arctic Odysey" , by Len Sherman.
"Blue Water" Bob Griffeth is a good read. " The Long Way " and "Cape Horn the Logical Route" by Bernard Moitessier, are hard to put down.

Last edited by Brent Swain; 07-24-2012 at 05:50 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-25-2012

ccriders is on a distinguished road

Just finished "Cod" by Mark Kurlansky. It is about the devastation of the north atlantic cod by over fishing. Like "Sailing to the Edge of the World (sic)" it provides a glimpse into life at sea in history. Plus it has several new and old receipts for cooking cod.
aeventyr60 and GeoGoddess like this.
Old 08-22-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Mark Kurlansky

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccriders View Post
Just finished "Cod" by Mark Kurlansky. It is about the devastation of the north atlantic cod by over fishing. Like "Sailing to the Edge of the World (sic)" it provides a glimpse into life at sea in history. Plus it has several new and old receipts for cooking cod.
Kurlansky is bankable. "Salt", "Cod" and "The Basque History of the World" all follow a simialr feel and will resonate with any sailor. His "The Big Oyster" which is the history of the NewYork oyster industry is also well worth a read.
GeoGoddess likes this.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 08-22-2012

ccriders is on a distinguished road
Re: Mark Kurlansky

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
Kurlansky is bankable. "Salt", "Cod" and "The Basque History of the World" all follow a simialr feel and will resonate with any sailor. His "The Big Oyster" which is the history of the NewYork oyster industry is also well worth a read.
Thanks. I'm about a third of the way through "Salt" right now. I guess the old history major in me is still alive. The new writers seem so much more interesting that all those old footnoted tomes of days gone by.
Old 08-22-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Jack and Jude Binder

This couple have written a number of cruising books notably "Twos a Crew". I'm in the middle of reading that at the moment and you can download from the website mentioned below.

They are what you would call 'salt of the earth'. Cruisers of the old school. Good people, bit rough and ready, do it yourself folk but the story is pretty amazing. Well worth the read and their website is certainly worth a visit or ten.

homebuilt yacht sails around world in ever increasing circles | JACKandJUDE.com

( I don't know them personally, my description of them is my impression gained from the website.)

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 08-27-2012

DarkBlue is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to DarkBlue Send a message via Skype™ to DarkBlue

I've just posted a new entry in my blog about the books I have read this summer.
Any sugestions and comments are welcomed.

Sailing Zone: Summer readings

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-27-2012

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road

A good read on the spice trade in 17th century Indonesia is "Nathaniel's Nutmeg" by Giles Milton. Plenty of pirates, canon, gore and treachery.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Old 08-29-2012

Jerry Pleiades is on a distinguished road

The funniest book I have read in years was "The Boat Who Wouldn't Float" by Farley Mowatt. Literally there are times I had to stop reading as I was laughing/crying so hard I couldn't see.

"It seemed like a good idea. Tired of everyday life ashore, Farley Mowat would find a sturdy boat in Newfoundland and roam the salt sea over, free as a bird. What he found was the worst boat in the world, and she nearly drove him mad. The Happy Adventure, despite all that Farley and his Newfoundland helpers could do, leaked like a sieve. Her engine only worked when she felt like it. Typically, on her maiden voyage, with the engine stuck in reverse, she backed out of the harbour under full sail. And she sank, regularly."
davidpm likes this.
Old 09-06-2012
Goin' sailin'

americanfrog is on a distinguished road

Skipping the classic afore mentioned, here's some (mostly) light reading, in now particular order, stuff that i've read -- some better than others -- all available on kindle

Beyond the horizon by Kraus, Werner H.
I'm Gonna Live My Life Like a Jimmy Buffett Song (The Island Series), Bjorklund, Anthony
The Next Port, Coleman, Heyward
Bumfuzzle - Just Out Looking For Pirates, Schulte, Patrick
Sailing Solo Alone: a yachting novel with a warning for those who would be foolish enough not to give The Sea the respect she deserves. This boating book might just give you laugh as well, James, J.J
Chasing the Horizon, Goodllander, Cap'n Fatty
Sex, Lies & Spinnakers, Van Slyke, Steve
Drifter, Clark, Don
Wildtrack, Cornwell, Bernard