Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Apps & Authors
 Not a Member? 

Apps & Authors This forum is specifically designed for authors, designers, and members to showcase their wares. These must be sailing related!!!

Like Tree46Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2013

jak3b is on a distinguished road
Re: Recommended Reading

To The Great Southern Sea by William A. Robinson
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-09-2013

Rossignols is on a distinguished road

Just read the Billionaire and the Mechanic (by Julian Guthrie) The story of Larry Ellison's quest for the America's Cup and his unlikely alliance with a radiator repairman. It was an fun read
Old 07-11-2013

mstern is on a distinguished road

Just finished Monique Roffey's "Archipelago". This is a beautiful novel, a story of a father and his 6 year old daughter and their dog who sail from Trinidad through the Carribbean (Curacao, Bonaire, Aruba, Los Roques, San Blas, the Canal) to the Galapagos. They are escaping from an ongoing family tragedy (no spoilers here), seeking peace and understanding with nature and themselves. This is no mere sailing travelogue; while the descriptions of sailing and seamanship are an integral part of the story, make no mistake: they are primarily a vehicle for the author to explore the relationships between the characters, and how they (and all of us) relate to Nature. And these characters are unforgettable in their humanity, sadness, hopefulness and sheer will to overcome. The scenes of Gavin, Ocean (the daughter) and Suzy (their faithful dog) discovering the wonders of the natural beauty and political realities of the Carribbean are very moving. Seen through the lens of these people, it becomes very easy to understand why the cruising lifestyle is so seductive, and why its not for everyone.

I stumbled across this book at Heathrow Airport; I don't even know if it was published in the USA. Whatever. Find it. Read it.
Old 07-14-2013

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about

Pirate Latitudes by Michael Crichton, just finished it, a real fun read

This was discovered on one of Crichton's computers by his assistant after his death, then published in 2009

Freedom comes when youíre ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you donít have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies

Last edited by poopdeckpappy; 07-14-2013 at 01:51 AM.
Old 07-16-2013

Dharmabum is on a distinguished road

I vote for: Eastward-A Maine Cruise in a Friendship Sloop by Roger Duncan.

For those of us that love the Maine Coast this is a must read.
Temp Port: Dutch Harbor, RI

Once owned a boat is a touchable dream. It can be worked on and endlessly improved, the messin' about tactile foreplay to voyages in the mind.
Old 08-06-2013

manatee is on a distinguished road

Free books for download:

Free ebooks - Project Gutenberg

3 free nautical books:

* Confessions Online -
'Confessions of a Long Distance Sailor', Paul Lutus

http://estarzinger.com/estarzinger/pdf/sextant.pdf -
'Step By Step Sextant User's Guide', Andrew Evans

Singlehanded Tips Book -
'Singlehanded Tips', Andrew Evans
===========================

"The skipper should be the calmest person on board.
It is good for the morale of those around you. However, if everyone around you is frightened then be aware of the possibility that they know something you donít."

~~Dylan Winter,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-06-2013
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Manatee .... is the "Did you ever eat a pine tree?" W S Kals or is that as I suspect Gibbons ?

Anywho, ordering Kals Practical Boating and Riddle of the Winds off Alibris as we speak.

also "Away Off Shore: Nantucket Island and Its People, 1602-1890 by Philbrick, Nathaniel" as he's never disappointed. Very good writer indeed.

btw .... all three books ... AUD$7.75.

plus postage.

$63.14 in total.

Methinks Alibris are having a lend. Might try Abe ... their delivery charges are usually less than Alibris though they tend to be more UKcentric than American.

edit .... using ABE bill ended up aud15.00 less than ALIBRIS.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.

Last edited by tdw; 08-27-2013 at 09:20 PM.
Old 08-07-2013

manatee is on a distinguished road

Euell Gibbons. He wrote a series of living-off-the-land books back in the 1960s ( see post #461 ). He did the late-night-talk-show circuit for a while, and a commercial for Grape-Nuts that started: "Did you ever eat a pine tree? Many parts are edible."

His books are a lot of fun, with history, personal stories, lore from cultures around the world, and recipes for stuff you didn't know was edible, let alone tasty. Living in Florida, I'm partial to "Stalking The Blue-Eyed Scallop", and especially his "Euell Gibbons' Beachcomber's Handbook", about living off the land & sea in Hawai'i. They are (or were) available in field-guide editions with waterproof covers. I remember buying the whole set at Walden Books in 1973, right after getting out of the Navy. I had found "Scallop" in a base library - made me *so* homesick for our family fishing & snorkeling trips to the Keys.

Kals' books are good; the "Practical Navigation" is a bit dry at times, but better than anything else I've read. "Boating" is in a more personable style.

"Riddle of the Sands" is a terrific book. Much as I like some of Michael York's films, the movie did not come close to doing the book justice. Being set pre-World War I, when there were no engines in small boats, it would probably drive some of our more technophilic shipmates mad with frustration.

Looks like you saved enough for another book. Enjoy!

Here's classic for free download:
http://www.downtothesea.org/david/Knight--Sailing.pdf
===========================

"The skipper should be the calmest person on board.
It is good for the morale of those around you. However, if everyone around you is frightened then be aware of the possibility that they know something you donít."

~~Dylan Winter,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by manatee; 08-07-2013 at 01:26 AM.
Old 08-27-2013
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Manatee .... my apologies for not responding (noticing) your post earlier than this.

Over in another thread I saw mention of M.A.Calahan "Learning to Cruise". My copy (second hand) arrived yesterday and I had a quick look throuhg last evening. It was written in 1936 so of course much of it is out of date but really everyon who aspires to go cruising should read this book. It is an utter delight.

"You who have cruised know what I mean. You have felt the kick of the wheel and the long powerful surge through the seas. You have watched the sun go down in crimson majesty and felt the comforting friendliness of the far off blinking lights. You have lain on deck and watched the nodding sails blank out the stars. You know what I mean.

Or another day. It is late afternoon. The hook is down with plenty of scope in the peace and loveliness of a quiet anchorage. The sails are furled; the flags come down, the riding light is put up. Somewhere ashore a dog is barking and chickens are making a fuss about going to bed. Smoke curls from the Charley Noble and the smell of coffee mingles with the smell of the tide. The air is turning chilly. You go below to the snuggest of homes. You eat with voracious appetite. You sleep to a lullaby of small wavlets and slapping halyards. You know what I mean. " H.A. Calahan.

How evocative is that ?

Riddle of the Sands is indeed a fine read and yes while the movie was not the book, what movie ever is ?

Cheers

Andrew B

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 08-28-2013

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road

Closer to home for you TDW would be:

The white divers of Broome, the true story of a fatal experiment

by: John Bailey

About the pearling industry circa 1912 and the attempt to rid the industry of Asians.
A really shocking read about work practices over 100 years go that are chillingly reminders of some things going on today.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.