Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Apps & Authors
 Not a Member? 

Apps & Authors This forum is specifically designed for authors, designers, and members to showcase their wares. These must be sailing related!!!

Like Tree49Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2014
arrgh!

titustiger27 is on a distinguished road
Re: Recommended Reading

finished: "Letters from the Lost Soul" by Bob Bitchin'

Was not all that impressed... it was harder to finish than a transvestite in Madonna's lingerie

Vector X + Y
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-30-2014
old guy :)

rikhall will become famous soon enough

Funny Titus - I had fun with Bob's book - ya just have to read it with your tongue in your cheek.

Rik
Old 10-30-2014
old guy :)

rikhall will become famous soon enough

Can't remember if I answered this or not????

Boatowner's Mechanical and Electrical Manual: Nigel Calder
Guide to Upgrading Your Cruising Sailboat: Dan Spurr
and
This Old Boat: Don Casey

In alphabetical order - I cannot rank them - they are all great!

Rik
Old 10-30-2014
arrgh!

titustiger27 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikhall View Post
Funny Titus - I had fun with Bob's book - ya just have to read it with your tongue in your cheek.

Rik
I understand the tongue in cheek --- but for my literature... I expect something more creative than his 'than jokes'

funnier than a banana slipping on a tomato skin
rikhall likes this.

Vector X + Y
Old 11-01-2014
John

ImASonOfaSailor is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via MSN to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via Yahoo to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via Skype™ to ImASonOfaSailor

CATAMARAN SAILING From Start to Finish by Phil Berman (1999)

Catamarans Every Sailor's Guide

licensed OUPV/6-pack
Great Lake Erie, Marine State Park

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"""Here's a toast to you on the coast and the sailors out at sea Drink your ales, hoist your sails Ride the windssssssssss and think of me,,,,,,,,,, 'cause Oh I wish I was there tonight"""
Old 11-04-2014

ccriders is on a distinguished road

I've just finished reading "Sextant" by David Barrie, and found it most enjoyable. I've been a history student all my life and have spent a considerable amount of time this last year studying the Baroque period with emphasis on the development of the cello and its music. So, when I was given "Sextant" for my birthday I was intrigued. The seventeenth and eighteenth centuries were an amazing period both in music and in sailing.
Barrie tells the story of the development of the sextant and its use by the intrepid seamen that charted the world's oceans. He opens each chapter with his log notes written during his first trans Atlantic crossing in a 35 foot sailboat on which he learned how to use the sextant. I find it very difficult put myself into the period as so much of what we have today did not exist then, but Barrie very deftly takes you back to those olden times when hardy men spent their lives bouncing off distant shores to chart the oceans.
A good read.
John
WGEwald likes this.
Old 11-07-2014

Group9 is on a distinguished road

I just ordered and am almost finished with "Wanderer" by Sterling Hayden.

I never knew much about Hayden before, other than he was kind of one time movie star. But, what an interesting life, almost all of it revolving around boats and sailing. And, he has got some pretty interesting life philosophies that he has not only preached, but practiced.

Best quote from the book.

“To be truly challenging, a voyage, like a life, must rest on a firm foundation of financial unrest. Otherwise, you are doomed to a routine traverse, the kind known to yachtsmen who play with their boats at sea... "cruising" it is called. Voyaging belongs to seamen, and to the wanderers of the world who cannot, or will not, fit in. If you are contemplating a voyage and you have the means, abandon the venture until your fortunes change. Only then will you know what the sea is all about.

"I've always wanted to sail to the south seas, but I can't afford it." What these men can't afford is not to go. They are enmeshed in the cancerous discipline of "security." And in the worship of security we fling our lives beneath the wheels of routine - and before we know it our lives are gone.

What does a man need - really need? A few pounds of food each day, heat and shelter, six feet to lie down in - and some form of working activity that will yield a sense of accomplishment. That's all - in the material sense, and we know it. But we are brainwashed by our economic system until we end up in a tomb beneath a pyramid of time payments, mortgages, preposterous gadgetry, playthings that divert our attention for the sheer idiocy of the charade.

The years thunder by, The dreams of youth grow dim where they lie caked in dust on the shelves of patience. Before we know it, the tomb is sealed.

Where, then, lies the answer? In choice. Which shall it be: bankruptcy of purse or bankruptcy of life? ”
― Sterling Hayden, Wanderer

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Old 11-07-2014

mstern is on a distinguished road

Agree with you completely on Sterling's book. He was a far more interesting guy than I knew. He said somewhere in there that he was born 100 years too late.

One thing I found fascinating was the dichotomy between his "poor but happy voyager" philosophy and his actions in Hollywood where he continually did things he supposedly despised for the money.
Old 11-07-2014

Group9 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstern View Post
Agree with you completely on Sterling's book. He was a far more interesting guy than I knew. He said somewhere in there that he was born 100 years too late.

One thing I found fascinating was the dichotomy between his "poor but happy voyager" philosophy and his actions in Hollywood where he continually did things he supposedly despised for the money.
The book got me interested in Hayden and I've been looking for more interviews and articles about him. In one of them, an interviewer actually made that point and asked him, "If you hated Hollywood so much, why did you keep going back?" Hayden answered, "Because, they paid me stupid money, and although I hate Hollywood, I really love money."

But, you're right. Lot of contradictions in him, which he seems to have struggled with himself. He is modest to the point of having almost no self esteem at some points. In the book, he seems to suggest he only joined the OSS in WW2 (actually right before WW2) to get out of combat, when in reality, the OSS, the forerunner of the CIA and U.S. Special Forces, had some of the highest casulty rates of any service in WW2. And, then he writes, "They gave me the Silver Star for something, but, damned if I know what for".

Interesting man, but definitely flawed in a lot of ways. But, he sure brings out the romantic in me when I read about him.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico

Last edited by Group9; 11-07-2014 at 10:51 AM.
Old 11-07-2014

WGEwald is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
The book got me interested in Hayden.. He is modest to the point of having almost no self esteem at some points.
My mother was a Girl Scout Mariner and her ship went with Irving Johnson for a week's cruise on the schooner Yankee. Sterling was the first mate. She thought he spent too much time admiring himself in the mirror :-D She would have been about 14 and he 19.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.