SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Apps & Authors (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/apps-authors/)
-   -   Recommended Reading (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/apps-authors/18184-recommended-reading.html)

Sonofasonofasailor 07-12-2006 10:35 PM

Recommended Reading

This site could benefit from a "library" or a recommended reading link. I know that suggestions have been made many times in various threads but who wants to go hunting for them? I thought that if I start a thread then we would all know what to look for when we were looking for recomendations for a good sailing read.

I have taken the liberty of cutting and pasting books that I am aware of that have been recommended in other posts and tried to give credit where it is due to whom it is due.

Perhaps the Administrator would make this post a sticky so as not to be lost until a link could be added to the resources section - if that is what is chosen to be done.

Sonofasonofasailor 07-12-2006 10:36 PM

Recs from Surfesq

Bernard Montessier: Tamata and the Alliance.
Adlard Coles: Heavy Weather Sailing.
The Best of Sail Trim
Peter Nichols: A Voyage for Madmen.
Richard Henderson: The Experiences and Techniques of the Lone Voyagers. Singehanded Sailing.

Recs from Sailingdog

Return to the Sea
On a Single Wave
Storm Passage: Alone Around Cape Horn by Webb Chiles.

sailingdog 07-12-2006 10:45 PM

Here are a few I'd recommend:

Richard Henderson: Singlehanded Sailing: The Experiences and Techniques of the Lone Voyagers

John Vigor: Seaworthy Offshore Sailboat: A Guide to Essential Features, Handling, and Gear

David Gerr: The Nature of Boats

Hal Roth: How to Sail Around The World: Advice and Ideas for Voyaging Under Sail

David Seidman: The Complete Sailor: Learning the Art of Sailing

Tania Aebi: Maiden Voyage

Elliot Merrick: Cruising at Last: Sailing the East Coast

PBzeer 07-13-2006 02:38 AM

Though geared more towards offshore, The Cruising Handbook by Nigel Calder is a good primer for anyone new to sailing and a quick refrence for those who aren't. Two books about cruising that are good are The Cruising Life: A Commonsense Guide for the Would Be Voyager by Jim Trefethen. This is more about the financial aspect than sailing. Sensible Cruising: The Thoreau Approach by Don Casey and Lew Hackler is an excellent book about cruising as well, from more of a minimumlist standpoint. Also, The Voyager's Handbook: The Essential Guide to Blue Water Cruising by Beth A. Leonard. Though another book geared towards offshore sailing, it has many hints and tips that work for everyone.

infonote 07-13-2006 04:57 AM

For racers, the racing rules of sailing. It is available on the web.

CBinRI 07-13-2006 11:59 AM

Do you want fiction also? I became addicted to the O'Brian (sp.?)Aubrey/Maturin series. Much better than the movie. Meticulously researched and the chacracters are extremely well-developed.

Sonofasonofasailor 07-13-2006 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CBinRI
Do you want fiction also? I became addicted to the O'Brian (sp.?)Aubrey/Maturin series. Much better than the movie. Meticulously researched and the chacracters are extremely well-developed.

Why not? No rules here, sailors enjoy fiction too. I think that it would be appropriate though to limit recommended reading in this thread to the subject of sailing - beyond that, If you like it and recommend reading it then fire away.

U]Sailing in a Spoonful of Water[/U] by Joe Coomer. I read it some years ago, its about a guy who buys his first used boat (a motor sailor w/ a hinged mast) and the pleasures and frustrations that it brings - I found it enjoyable, its and easy read.

Surfesq 07-13-2006 12:31 PM

Yes, I have read all of the OBrian books and loved them.
I would also throw in Sail Trim.
Here are two books I know anyone who sails will enjoy:

A Voyage for Madmen by Peter Nichols
This is the story of the first Round Alone Race. A great read.

His other book, Sea Change: Alone Across the Atlantic in a Wooden Boat is an absolute must read if you can find it. It is a memoir of his transatlantic journey from England to the US on an engineless wooden boat. Sounds boring? No, here is the rub...He finds his recent ex-girlfriend's diary on board, (She was doing everyone in town), and his boat is slowly sinking. It's a train wreck and the best part is that it is true.

I just picked up his newest book, Evolution's Captain and will let you know how it reads.

dave.verry 07-13-2006 12:32 PM

My bible over the last 30 years has been Royce's Sailing Illustrated. I believe it has just recently gone out of print but I was able to replace mine this year and have found a few copies on the bookshelves of marine suppliers. Does anyone else like this book as much as I do?

Sonofasonofasailor 07-13-2006 01:04 PM

Nice, we are officially a sticky!
Thanks admin.