Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Apps & Authors
 Not a Member? 

Apps & Authors This forum is specifically designed for authors, designers, and members to showcase their wares. These must be sailing related!!!

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2015
arrgh!

titustiger27 is on a distinguished road
Good writing

There have been threads about best books, why magazines are boring... I am not sure there has been a request for good writing and/or writers.

My favorite writer is John Gierach, he writes about fly fishing, I love reading his collected stories even if I don't fly fish. (he is so good I try saving books to read in the future)

Who writes about sailing and can transcend to people who don't love sailing already...

and examples

Vector X Y
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-15-2015
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Re: Good writing

Quote:
Originally Posted by titustiger27 View Post
Who writes about sailing and can transcend to people who don't love sailing already...

and examples
TT, the number is countless - although I must admit that most of the really passionate sailing authors were writing last century, in the days when a voyage across the pacific, or even a sail across a lake, was seen as 'a grand adventure' worth writing about.

The authors I'm thinking of were those that got people interested in sailing primarily by their contributions for magazines and boys journals, starting with Lady Anne Brassey in ~1877 and continuing on from there. Others included (in no particular order): RH Dana, Nicholas Monserrat, CS Forester, Joseph Conrad, Alan Villiers, Rudyard Kipling, etc. etc.. although arguably the most relevant to sailing small boats as we know it would be the prominent British Naval Architect, author and magazine editor Maurice Griffiths:

I'm sure there are more modern authors writing exciting on-line blogs - but if they do exist, an ancient like me wouldn't know about them.
tdw likes this.

Last edited by Classic30; 02-15-2015 at 11:51 PM.
Old 02-15-2015
arrgh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic30 View Post
TT, the number is countless - although I must admit that most of the really passionate sailing authors were writing last century, in the days when a voyage across the pacific, or even a sail across a lake, was seen as 'a grand adventure' worth writing about.

The authors I'm thinking of were those that got people interested in sailing primarily by their contributions for magazines and journals, starting with Lady Anne Brassey in ~1877 and continuing on from there. Others included (in no particular order): RH Dana, Nicholas Monserrat, CS Forester, Joseph Conrad, Alan Villiers, Rudyard Kipling, etc. etc.. although arguably the most relevant to sailing small boats as we know it would be the prominent British Naval Architect, author and magazine editor Maurice Griffiths. If you have never read any of his books - really, you should!

Maurice Griffiths - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm sure there are more modern authors writing exciting on-line blogs - but if they do exist, an ancient like me wouldn't know about them.
I guess I was thinking modern writers... I don't know of the ones you mentioned.

... I don't know about you, but there are writers that on the first paragraph you realize s/he has talent beyond understanding. I haven't really seen that with sailing.
This isn't to say I haven't enjoyed some writing, but not so much has been amazing.

Maybe I am picky

Vector X Y
Old 02-15-2015
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I guess I was thinking modern writers... I don't know of the ones you mentioned.

... I don't know about you, but there are writers that on the first paragraph you realize s/he has talent beyond understanding. I haven't really seen that with sailing.
This isn't to say I haven't enjoyed some writing, but not so much has been amazing.

Maybe I am picky
Oh, I don't think so... It's my not so humble opinion that writing quality - especially nautical writing quality - has been going down hill for a few decades now.

Maurice Griffiths was definitely one of those writers you refer to. It's an old book now, but have a read of his Magic of the Swatchways (it's a collection of short stories) and I think you'll find what you're looking for after the first sentence.
Old 02-16-2015
arrgh!

Hopefully this isn't about me (that is to say, what I might or might not like, but an overall quality of writing for most)

but good writing..

Vector X Y

Last edited by titustiger27; 02-16-2015 at 08:18 AM.
Old 02-16-2015
Once known as Hartley18

Sorry I can't find an extract on the web to show you... but any half-decent marine library should have a copy - of this or one of his other books.
Old 02-16-2015

TomMaine is on a distinguished road

Quote:
There have been threads about best books, why magazines are boring... I am not sure there has been a request for good writing and/or writers.

and examples
I'm working with a friend designing a used bookstore, and she is not a sailor, and no desire to be one.

The theme of her store is, "Simpy good writing". In reading a review of the book, 'Why Homer Matters', by Adam Nicholson, she couldn't resist sending me this quote:

""the canvas stirs, like a dog in a bed, begins to acquire a form, and the boat gains a sense of purpose, a coherence it had lacked as it slopped in the chop or swell. The wake slowly starts to bubble behind you, “the gleaming wake” that runs behind Homeric ships as a sign of life and excellence, the cockpit drains gurgle . . . and with tiller and sheet in hand you sit up and pick your course across the sea. That is the Odyssean moment, everything liquid but directed, everything mobile but related: the sea itself, your boat in it, the air and its winds, all the possibilities.""

My friend added at the end:

"Almost makes me want to go to sea (her smiley face)" So there's some writing that's done exactly what you asked.

I plan to read the book just from that quote. I find sailing lacking in modern writing-even by today's most popular sailing writers. Sometimes I think it's me but it's just not there..

A current favorite of mine(I've mentioned here before) is David Bruckman who writes a regular column in Points East, a free online and print magazine. His small monthly column, "Fetching Along" is too short but nearly always puts me on the water, sailing.

I hope to see more "good writing" when it comes to sailing, posted here.
titustiger27 likes this.

'I'd have written a shorter post, but I didn't have the time', Mark Twain.
The Following User Says Thank You to TomMaine For This Useful Post:
titustiger27 (02-16-2015)
Old 02-16-2015

Pamlicotraveler is on a distinguished road

I like writers that don't rely on stereotypical cruising topics (Admiral vs Captain, Potty humor etc) and hee-haw type one-liners (ie Fatty Goodlander). Some of the worst books ever written have been about sailing and cruising, so I too am interested in this topic.
titustiger27 likes this.
Old 02-16-2015
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

I think there is a difference between good technical writing that makes subjects approachable and understandable like that of Nigel Calder and Beth Leonard and engaging, thoughtful narratives like that of Richard Bode in First You Have to Row a Little Boat.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-16-2015
arrgh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamlicotraveler View Post
I like writers that don't rely on stereotypical cruising topics (Admiral vs Captain, Potty humor etc) and hee-haw type one-liners (ie Fatty Goodlander). Some of the worst books ever written have been about sailing and cruising, so I too am interested in this topic.
This is how I feel.

I know a few hold Fatty up as a great writer... as a reader I need a writer to tell me why this is a great port or why someone is 'good people'
Pamlicotraveler likes this.

Vector X Y

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.