In expensive Navigation Software - SailNet Community
Apps & Authors This forum is specifically designed for authors, designers, and members to showcase their wares. These must be sailing related!!!

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 04-07-2015 Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
ebs001's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 2,205
Thanks: 6
Thanked 21 Times in 19 Posts
Rep Power: 10
 
In expensive Navigation Software

I am looking for inexpensive navigation software for a PC. I am looking for one which uses cartography from Navionics, C-Map or similar. My preference is for one which uses C-Map as my chart plotter uses Navionics and I would like an ate rate source. It is for that reason that I would that Fugawi is not my first choice.

I am aware that there are free programs such as OpenCPN but I have found it difficult to get charts for areas outside of the U.S. such as a trip through the Caribbean or to Jamaica.
ebs001 is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 6 Old 04-07-2015
tdw
Super Fuzzy Moderator
 
tdw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Sydney Australia
Posts: 16,494
Thanks: 15
Thanked 104 Times in 97 Posts
Rep Power: 10
     
Re: In expensive Navigation Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebs001 View Post
I am looking for inexpensive navigation software for a PC. I am looking for one which uses cartography from Navionics, C-Map or similar. My preference is for one which uses C-Map as my chart plotter uses Navionics and I would like an ate rate source. It is for that reason that I would that Fugawi is not my first choice.

I am aware that there are free programs such as OpenCPN but I have found it difficult to get charts for areas outside of the U.S. such as a trip through the Caribbean or to Jamaica.
ebs ... I may be wrong of course but outside of the US you are going to have to pay for your charts.

Is there in fact any Nav Software that comes complete with charts ?

Andrew B

“Life is a trick, and you get one chance to learn it.”
― Terry Pratchett, Nation

Malo 39 Classic
tdw is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #3 of 6 Old 04-07-2015 Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
ebs001's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 2,205
Thanks: 6
Thanked 21 Times in 19 Posts
Rep Power: 10
 
Re: In expensive Navigation Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
ebs ... I may be wrong of course but outside of the US you are going to have to pay for your charts.

Is there in fact any Nav Software that comes complete with charts ?
I don't have a problem with paying for the charts and already have some. I am looking for the software program to navigate using them. The software I have seen like Maxsea and Nobletec are insanely expensive, in the $1200 range. I can get Fugawi for less than $200 but it uses Navionics but as I said in the OP I would prefer another cartology like C-Map.
ebs001 is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #4 of 6 Old 04-18-2015
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: SoCal
Posts: 30
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
 
Re: In expensive Navigation Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebs001 View Post
I don't have a problem with paying for the charts and already have some. I am looking for the software program to navigate using them. The software I have seen like Maxsea and Nobletec are insanely expensive, in the $1200 range. I can get Fugawi for less than $200 but it uses Navionics but as I said in the OP I would prefer another cartology like C-Map.
I'm a little confused because your OP says you're looking for something that will run Navionics, C-Map or similar, but then you say you don't want to run Navionics. Just curious why you're leaning toward C-Map over Navionics?

In terms of software that will run C-Maps, check out SOB or SeaClear, but the most popular is OpenCPN.
jtulls is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #5 of 6 Old 2 Weeks Ago
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 15
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
 
Re: In expensive Navigation Software

I'm also interested in which software is the best to go with. Does it have anything to do with your OS?
themerryonion is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #6 of 6 Old 2 Weeks Ago
Junior Member
 
aeventyr60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Andaman Sea
Posts: 2,423
Thanks: 25
Thanked 66 Times in 63 Posts
Rep Power: 5
 
Re: In expensive Navigation Software

Investigate a bit further here:

Installing Charts | Official OpenCPN Homepage


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
aeventyr60 is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.


User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Navigation Software ccriders General Discussion (sailing related) 47 06-21-2012 08:17 PM
Navigation Software toewsrus Gear & Maintenance 31 07-25-2009 08:56 PM
Free Navigation Software casualbb Gear & Maintenance 0 04-16-2004 11:14 PM
Racing Navigation Software A30 Racing 0 11-18-2003 01:52 AM
Nobeltec Navigation Software DICKWATERS Gear & Maintenance 0 08-24-2003 09:09 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome