Waterway Guide Beats Active Captain - Page 87 - SailNet Community
Apps & Authors This forum is specifically designed for authors, designers, and members to showcase their wares. These must be sailing related!!!

181Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #861 of 864 Old 11-06-2016

Re: Waterway Guide Beats Active Captain

Wasnt he banned here? Lots of brown nosed sycophants
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #862 of 864 Old 11-06-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobGallagher View Post
The interview seemed like more of an infomercial than a anything else.

That being said, AC is still one of the best sources available for information for planning a trip.
Totally agree with all of this. But, the reality is that all the free stuff we get on the internet has to be paid for somehow, so that pop up ads, etc here and elsewhere are the inevitable baggage. However I have to admit that the AYB pitch at the end of the "interview" was a bit much: the "fresh fuel" comment came across as overt marketing, rather than a simple observation.

I can live with this and take such endorsements with a grain of salt when money is exchanged with the reviewer. Doesn't change my position as a fan of AC.
post #863 of 864 Old 11-06-2016

Fuel is almost always cheapest at Top Rack. So pimping for ays is not spreading the best information possible.

post #864 of 864 Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
The Elephant

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
As an analogy to this, Google can identify one so precisely through behavior and other data that they can forgo password authentication: Google Passwords: How the search giant plans to replace passwords | BGR

Mark
Continuing on this conversation I was having with Mark when I went on sabbatical, and with the new developments with Garmin and AC, and with NOAA moving away from printed charts, etc. I've been doing a lot of additional research and having expert discussions on this subject and the various ways these technologies are moving. Basically, as I predicted/showed in my recent GeekZone vid, we're seeing a very interesting amalgamation of these various data types (POI, bathymetry, instrumentation, position, etc.) with emerging bi-directional technologies and protocols. A LOT is happening very rapidly in this space that will seriously affect boating as we know it.

For example, I was contacted on SA by a new company to beta-test a very cool device that might prove a real breakthrough in tying much of this together in reliable, responsible ways. I'm excited about the possibilities here. And there are other similar things happening as well that I can't get into yet.

So I'll have LOTS more coming on the broader scope of this subject, though I won't be discussing it much here. That said, this is still one of the most popular threads out there related to the subject so it deserves updates now and again as appropriate. I'll just post links to what I'm doing and those who are interested can discuss it with me elsewhere if they want.

So stay tuned! It's gonna be cool!

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 2 Weeks Ago at 06:27 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.