Waterway Guide Beats Active Captain - SailNet Community
Apps & Authors This forum is specifically designed for authors, designers, and members to showcase their wares. These must be sailing related!!!

181Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 864 Old 05-24-2015 Thread Starter
The Elephant

Waterway Guide Beats Active Captain

As some of you know, I publicly asked the owner of Active Captain to nuke my account after witnessing some of his actions here on the forum. I wanted nothing to do with it.

Since then, I've been looking around for alternatives and found Waterway Guide. They have what I think is a pretty damn good web application for planning a trip:

Waterway Guide | cruising guide, fuel pricing, navigation alerts and news for boaters and yacht enthusiasts

It's all chart-based, with great information about bridges, anchorages, marinas, fuel prices, you name it. And, like AC, it offers users the ability to provide information about each. BUT, with Waterway Guide - you don't have to sign up, try to get hats, do a boat card program, etc. Waterway Guide seems like it's there to help YOU - not the other way around.

Basically, it's most of the functionality of Active Captain without the dude and the hassle.

They have an app for the iPhone - although it's rated pretty low (2-stars). I've not tried it yet. Of course, Active Captain's app is also rated pretty low (2-stars). So that's a wash.

Anyway, I just wanted to give everyone a heads-up. I'm happy I found this thing.

Feedback from those that have used it extensively would be great. So jump in.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to smackdaddy For This Useful Post:
smurphny (05-29-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 864 Old 05-24-2015

Re: Waterway Guide Beats Active Captain

I've tried Waterway Guide and, in my area (southern New England) at least, I think I'll stick with ActiveCaptain.

Reason: the crowd-sourced ActiveCaptain reviews---some insightful, some just dumb---are from Real Cruisers, and I can take them or leave them, using my own judgement. With Waterway Guide, there's no trace-ability: you have to take the word of the editors.

Joe - s/v Assignment, Catalina 320
post #3 of 864 Old 05-25-2015
RTB
TROUBLE

Looks pretty good to me. I'll spend some time comparing the two. Maybe I should cash in my points at AC...

Ralph

S/V FUGUE
HUNTER 36
KEMAH, TX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 864 Old 05-25-2015 Thread Starter
The Elephant

Heh-heh. You think crab traps are bad jj? Try sailing in my backyard...at night...

I understand what you're saying about the reviews. But I trust the editors. They've certainly not given me a very good reason not to.
Attached Thumbnails
waterwayguide.jpg  
oysterman23 likes this.

Last edited by smackdaddy; 05-25-2015 at 12:58 AM.
post #5 of 864 Old 05-25-2015

Thanks. Seems pretty good. Nearly useless for my old cruising grounds of Lake Superior, but so is AC. Some surprising misses for anchorages in the North Channel too, but I assume they'll get filled in. Looking at marinas I know well, the info seems reasonably accurate, although hit-and-miss on many details. And there is the constant suggestion to "Buy the Great Lakes Waterway Guide - The perfect cockpit companion when exploring your waterways!" We all gotta pay the bills somehow...

Based on my use of AC I wouldn't say this tool is any better, but I'll definitely use it as an additional resource.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
post #6 of 864 Old 05-25-2015

Wow smackers not a good idea to publically bash Jeff S..

Mark my words he will seek retaliation and you will magically develop a virus on your computer. Jeff is a Pentagon level hacker and can seek digital retaliation on anyone who speaks ill of AC. He has done it to friends of mine. Just do a little digging and you'll see.

Please tell me you used a totally different email and password for AC than you did for any other site because if you did not you are "F'd". Change every password you have that is the same as the one you used on AC before Jeff gets the google alert and starts going to town on you digitally...

This is not a joke and I am dead serious. He will digitally destroy you and leave no trace of it... You have just caused yourself some serious issues with a seriously disturbed dude........ Be careful...
xort and the lock like this.
post #7 of 864 Old 05-25-2015

Good timing to talk about boating websites. This weekend, Chesapeake Bay Magazine released their Best of the Bay issue for 2015. The survey comes from boaters on the bay - a pretty large group, I'd guess.

They rate a variety of marina, boatyards, places to go, and, websites/apps. The #1 website was ActiveCaptain.com. The #1 app was ActiveCaptain. I wonder how they missed WaterwayGuide.com given they're based on the Chesapeake Bay?

winners results 5

Although the ActiveCaptain app isn't well rated, I think they get the high ratings because they're in so many other apps that rate very highly. I'm testing their new Locations app which is a killer and unlike anything else that exists.

SAIL just released an article too about apps for navigation too:

15 Apps for Navigating with your Apple or Android Device - Sail Magazine

Look how many times ActiveCaptain is mentioned there. I didn't see Waterway Guide even hinted at.

If you're going to select the products to use based on what you think of the owner, you better decide to make everything yourself. I doubt you'd like the politics, attitude, or personal hygiene exhibited by 90% of the owners and executives of most of the companies producing the things you use.

ActiveCaptain is just one resource I use. I use it because it's the best at what it does. Nothing else matters.
eherlihy likes this.
post #8 of 864 Old 05-25-2015 Thread Starter
The Elephant

Bill - I didn't bash him. I just stated what happened and why I personally went looking for an alternative. And isn't that kind of stuff you're talking about illegal?

Last edited by smackdaddy; 05-25-2015 at 12:21 PM.
post #9 of 864 Old 05-25-2015 Thread Starter
The Elephant

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOReilly View Post
Thanks. Seems pretty good. Nearly useless for my old cruising grounds of Lake Superior, but so is AC. Some surprising misses for anchorages in the North Channel too, but I assume they'll get filled in. Looking at marinas I know well, the info seems reasonably accurate, although hit-and-miss on many details. And there is the constant suggestion to "Buy the Great Lakes Waterway Guide - The perfect cockpit companion when exploring your waterways!" We all gotta pay the bills somehow...

Based on my use of AC I wouldn't say this tool is any better, but I'll definitely use it as an additional resource.
Cool. Thanks Mike.

One thing I like is that you don't HAVE to buy the Guide to have full access to the app and even provide feedback like you do with AC. It appears that they rely on advertising on the chart itself (which I don't mind at all) as a primary source of revenue for this. Hopefully we can push some more traffic their way and help improve it.

Last edited by smackdaddy; 05-25-2015 at 12:18 PM.
post #10 of 864 Old 05-25-2015
Crealock 37

Dock

AC is fun to play with, enter some info and get a discount at Defender but for me any internet based app is a waste of time once I round Caines Head.....there ain't no 'net in my criusing grounds.

Tis a Garmin, Navx and a paper chart for me.
RobGallagher and smackdaddy like this.

Dale

S/V Elnora
Pacific Seacraft "Crealock" 37 #312

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.