"Alone Together" -- the Book Trailer - SailNet Community
Apps & Authors This forum is specifically designed for authors, designers, and members to showcase their wares. These must be sailing related!!!

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 03-07-2016 Thread Starter

"Sailing Solo to Hawaii" -- the Book Trailer

Today is publication day for "Alone together: Sailing Solo to Hawaii and Beyond." I was 48 days at sea, singlehanded from Los Angeles to Kauai and return on a 1985 Ericson 32-3.

Here's the "book trailer":

The Amazon link is: http://geni.us/1S3g

From the Amazon Author Page:

In 15 years at The Washington Post Christian Williams served as arts editor of the Style Section, feature writer and reporter on the investigative unit. In 1987 he moved to Los Angeles to write and produce television programs from "Hill Street Blues" to "Six Feet Under." He is the author of "Lead, Follow or Get Out of the Way," a biography of Ted Turner (Times Books, 1981) and "Alone Together: Sailing Solo to Hawaii and Beyond" (East Wind Press, 2016). Williams has four children and lives in Pacific Palisades, CA, with his spouse, Tracy Olmstead Williams.

What prompted you to write "Alone Together: Sailing Solo to Hawaii and Beyond"?
CW: People had a lot of questions about being alone that long. I think they expected me to go nuts. My video on YouTube sort of stirred the pot.
Did you 'go nuts'?
CW: Let's say the experience wasn't what I expected at all. There are always voices
with you. It's never alone inside your head.
You have said you worried more about that than 6,000 miles across the Pacific and back.
CW: Singlehanded sailing is challenging, and nobody likes gales and hurricanes. But that you can prepare for. All the famous singlehanders wrote books, Slocum and Chichester and the rest. They were heroes to me. But you never know how you'll do out there.
How did you prepare for being alone?
CW: I read up on astronauts and medical studies and people like Reinhold Messner, who climbed Everest alone. I was expecting sensory deprivation, I think. But it wasn't like that.
What was it like?
CW: I was a failure at being alone. It just never happened.
Explain that.
CW: I can't. It's the question of who are we. Are we somebody distinct, or are we a part of everybody? That question never comes up ashore, among people. We're overconnected nowadays.
You mean, turn off the cell phone?
CW: We're just never alone. Not from when we're born till we die. We become feedback.
So is this book about a mystical experience?
CW: Not at all. Sailing a boat alone is a 24-hour job, you have to eat and try to sleep, you have the concerns of sinking and storms, there's plenty to worry about. It's less mystical than watching TV, where every commercial makes you wonder why you're wasting your life sitting there.
Did you come back changed?
CW: I think being alone for a while helps you understand where you fit in. Everybody wants to know the answer to that.
Hugmac likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Christian Williams; 03-07-2016 at 02:55 PM.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-07-2016

Re: "Alone Together" -- the Book Trailer

Enjoyed your videos including the trailer for the book. I spend about six months cruising and living on board alone. Friends always ask me don't you ever get bored and I say never. I rather enjoy the solitude the only times I feel a little bad are sometimes when watching a beautiful sunrise or sunset and not being able to share it. Not because I need the companionship it's more because I feel so many have no idea what they are missing. I feel blessed to be there to experience it. Good luck with your book and future sails.

Mike
Currently: Fixing things

Last edited by mbianka; 03-07-2016 at 07:53 PM.
post #3 of 12 Old 03-07-2016
arrgh!

Dock

I concur with mbianka... vids are good

I will keep an eye out for the book (when my reading list is down to 20 books to read ;-) )

Watching your video...again.. did you think about a sextant as a back up?

Vector X Y

Last edited by titustiger27; 03-07-2016 at 09:47 PM.
post #4 of 12 Old 03-08-2016

Just ordered the book. Your Hawaii and Back vid is one of my all time favs. Cheers.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #5 of 12 Old 03-08-2016
Broad Reachin'

More praise...Your videos were excellent. Can't wait to read the book!

Catalina 34

post #6 of 12 Old 03-08-2016

Given how wonderful your narration is, I'm sure the book is fantastic! Adding it to my wishlist...
post #7 of 12 Old 03-08-2016

(Now that I think of it, have you considered doing an audiobook?)
post #8 of 12 Old 03-08-2016
The most female moderator

Dock

Would love to see it for ereaders.

Donna

Catalina 30 TRBS
Rock Hall, MD
KB3ZCB

If you're helping someone and expecting something in return, you're doing business not kindness.
post #9 of 12 Old 03-08-2016
Freedom 39

I've enjoyed your videos and didn't realize that you are a contributor on here. I like your narration style and have every reason to believe that your book will be equally as entertaining.
post #10 of 12 Old 03-08-2016
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to Ajax_MD

Ok, this explains a lot.
You were an editor and a writer for one of the biggest rags in the country, a TV producer and an author on top of all of that.

I was wondering how the videography, narration and story-telling came so naturally to you. Now I know.
It's all still very enjoyable.
mbianka likes this.

1981 Tartan 33 #168

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.