SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Apps & Authors (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/apps-authors/)
-   -   Sailing Apps for Android (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/apps-authors/76799-sailing-apps-android.html)

CapnBones 07-26-2011 08:26 AM

Sailing Apps for Android

Hey guys, I just bought a new smartphone with Android and I have met a lot of people that have been using iphones and ipads for navigation and other practical things while sailing. I was wondering if anyone had been doing the same thing with android and if you had any suggestions on useful apps.

Thanks,
CapnBones

BubbleheadMd 07-26-2011 08:31 AM

I'm running the Droid X.

There is Nuticharts, which is a lite version of AcitveCaptain.com. It's very useful but does not offer "live tracking" or chart plotting (which ever you prefer to call it). You have to manually hit "my position" to get it to update the position dot.

I'm still looking for a navigation app that will either draw a track plot or at least automatically update the ownship position dot periodically.

Anyone who has a lead on this, please chime in.

Tim R. 07-26-2011 08:52 AM

I bought Navionics for mine but only use it as a reference while on OPBs.

Anchor Alert is decent for an anchor alarm.

administrator 07-26-2011 09:05 AM

It's funny how this thread just started and we upgraded the server last night.

The primarily reason we've been doing all these upgrades is for our new Sailnet Iphone and Android apps - soon you'll be able to stay in touch with all your Sailnet friends on both the Iphone and Droid phones... more news to follow in the next week or two.

:)

raisin56 07-26-2011 09:10 AM

There are several applications just depends on what you want to do. Some that I use are:

Anchor Alert
My Tracks
Tide Prediction
Marine Weather
SailDroid
BC Racer

There are chart plotter apps out there but I prefer to keep that on the laptop.

Dan

tomperanteau 07-26-2011 10:49 AM

EarthNC is a good app. They have a free version which I use. Uses the same type charts and OpenCPN.

CapnBones 07-26-2011 01:26 PM

@admin I would certainly use a sailnet app that would be pretty sweet. Maybe GPS functions to see who you're sailing with, just a thought if development were to go that direction.

CapnBones 07-26-2011 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raisin56 (Post 754549)
There are several applications just depends on what you want to do. Some that I use are:

Anchor Alert
My Tracks
Tide Prediction
Marine Weather
SailDroid
BC Racer

There are chart plotter apps out there but I prefer to keep that on the laptop.

Dan

I was going to go with the laptop as a chartplotter as well, how is the anchor alert because that is one that I would like to have worth the money? And how is it on the battery?

skisilver 08-03-2011 12:41 PM

I have a DriodX and am using Marine Navigator Lite (free app) along with the NOAA charts i have downloaded for free. The GPS automatically locates my position, however i do need to load the correct chart. The app plots speed, direction but does not calculate distances to waypoints. The app works well for this and is very stable.

hellosailor 08-04-2011 04:44 PM

Check out EarthNC, the Lite version is free. Charts, maps, tracks.