Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Apps & Authors
 Not a Member? 

Apps & Authors This forum is specifically designed for authors, designers, and members to showcase their wares. These must be sailing related!!!

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2011

NaviGsr is on a distinguished road
Nauticharts is also very useful for local advice. It's the mobile version of the Active Captain website.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by NaviGsr; 09-09-2011 at 01:52 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-09-2011

SailerDoc2 is on a distinguished road
I use earthNC, on my DROID.
Old 09-09-2011
Legend in my own mind.

SHNOOL is on a distinguished road
Navionics.
Old 09-09-2011
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
I just saw something pretty interesting in a West Marine flyer yesterday-

Turn your smartphone into a SPOT transponder. Basically, you buy a SPOT antenna, jack it into your smartphone's USB port and install the SPOT app on your smartphone. I like this, because I like combining gadgets instead of having piles of electronics.

The main concern is that smartphones normally aren't ruggedized or waterproof, so if you're going to use your smartphone or tablet as a communications and navigation tool, you need to protect it well.

I've found my Droid X to be pretty tough, but I would still isolate it belowdecks, in a dry-box.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 09-09-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleheadMd View Post
I just saw something pretty interesting in a West Marine flyer yesterday-

Turn your smartphone into a SPOT transponder. Basically, you buy a SPOT antenna, jack it into your smartphone's USB port and install the SPOT app on your smartphone. I like this, because I like combining gadgets instead of having piles of electronics.

The main concern is that smartphones normally aren't ruggedized or waterproof, so if you're going to use your smartphone or tablet as a communications and navigation tool, you need to protect it well.

I've found my Droid X to be pretty tough, but I would still isolate it belowdecks, in a dry-box.
That looks very cool. Since it will connect via bluetooth, there are several inexpensive waterproof cases for tablets (ipad) and cell phones. I have one for my ipad, it works great and have used it in the cockpit in the rain.

I suspect you could put the spot in one as well, even if separately.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 09-09-2011

SailingLazy is on a distinguished road
@Minnewaska - what waterproof case are you using for your iPad. All I've found are essentially large ziploc bags. I'd really like a hard case for it.
Old 09-09-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingLazy View Post
@Minnewaska - what waterproof case are you using for your iPad. All I've found are essentially large ziploc bags. I'd really like a hard case for it.
I will have to check on the make, but it would be classified as a large ziplock bag. Paid about $20. It has two zip locks, which you fold over under a velcro enclosure. It nearly exactly fits the Ipad and swiping through the thick clear plastic is a non-issue. If there were a hard case, you would still need to be able to manipulate the screen, so that may be the reason we haven't seen one.

I was looking for a hard case too and settled for this. However, it was an unjustified bias. The zip lock works great.

While I removed it, there is also a neck lanyard with it and assume the bag would still fit in a RAM holder if you wanted to mount it. However, I haven't tried. I sort of doubt you would be able to easily mount a hard case. However, ours just lives on top of or inside our cockpit table when underway. Finally, I've simply used the bag to transport the Ipad to shore in the dink just in the event it was dropped in the water, then take it out once I'm having a cup of coffee near a wifi spot.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 05-16-2013

ashmun is on a distinguished road
Re: What are your favorite iPhone/iPad sailing apps?

We have iNavx, Navionics, Hurricane, Hurricane Tracker, Weather Channel, Passagemaker, Wind Bouy, Real Wind and BoatRef.

Julia
s/v Esprit
Mariner 39
Old 05-17-2013
Banned

JeffreySiegel is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thestar View Post
CAUTION ...MY GPS on the phone does NOT work beyond 10-12 miles out at sea.
PLEASE DO NOT rely totally on the phone as your only marine aid.
Any phone that has a real GPS (all iPhones and most higher end phones) will work in the middle of the ocean and have no coastal requirement whatsoever. They will use cellular towers to decrease their time-to-first-fix but don't need the tower support at all if it isn't there.

When my entire Raymarine network with 3 chartplotters all went black while 12 nm offshore at Frying Pan Shoals, it was my iPhone and iPad that never skipped a beat and kept an accurate track of my position.

All of these things can fail and none should be the sole source for any navigational use.
Old 05-17-2013

Unkle Toad is on a distinguished road

Holy thread resurrection batman.

I got nothing yet ..but when I get it it will more likely be android then I-anything..

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.