Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Apps & Authors
 Not a Member? 

Apps & Authors This forum is specifically designed for authors, designers, and members to showcase their wares. These must be sailing related!!!

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2013

CarpeAquam is on a distinguished road
Re: What are your favorite iPhone/iPad sailing apps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingLazy View Post
what waterproof case are you using for your iPad. All I've found are essentially large ziploc bags. I'd really like a hard case for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LinekinBayCD View Post
Until they come out with a waterproof iPhone that I can use in the dinghy when it is raining the apps are only semi useful to me but everyone's needs are different.
Have any of you tried the LifeProof cases? I got one for my iPhone this year, so I can't give a thorough review yet, but there are videos of people using them surfing and snorkeling. I'm not sure I trust it THAT much, but so far I've had it with me dinghy sailing and it's been completely submerged without a drop getting in. They make them for the iPad too. They aren't cheap, but seem very durable and watertight.

iPhone Cases and iPad Cases | LifeProof

(Previously posting as LemonHead)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-17-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unkle Toad View Post
Holy thread resurrection batman.
These threads show up in search engines when you search for specific subjects... no harm in keeping them thorough for when someone happens to come across it

Old 05-17-2013
Freedom 39

FarCry is on a distinguished road

I have switched to a Lifeproof case because I can leave it on all the time and it still easily fits in my pocket. I've not used it for snorkeling but have friends who use theirs to do that frequently with no problems.
Old 05-17-2013

steve77 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpeAquam View Post
Have any of you tried the LifeProof cases? I got one for my iPhone this year, so I can't give a thorough review yet, but there are videos of people using them surfing and snorkeling. I'm not sure I trust it THAT much, but so far I've had it with me dinghy sailing and it's been completely submerged without a drop getting in. They make them for the iPad too. They aren't cheap, but seem very durable and watertight.

iPhone Cases and iPad Cases | LifeProof
I just got a case from Moxiware, haven't used it on the boat yet but it looks pretty good. It has a film cover for the touch screen which seems to work well.

moxiware — WP Waterproof iPad case
Old 05-17-2013

steve77 is on a distinguished road

As for iPad apps... EarchNC Marine Charts, Garmin BlueChart, iNavX, Charts & Tides, Navionics, WindAlert, BuoyData.

Although I haven't used my iPad on the boat yet (soon, soon...) I like EarthNC the best for features and ease of use.
Old 05-17-2013

tweitz is on a distinguished road

I have downloaded current marine charts from NOAA and then put them on the iPad to read with the iBooks app. I find it helpful to have the charts that are perfectly up to date. I still use the chartplotter for navigation, with a backup GPS always running down below. I also have the Navionics app, Windfinder, Accuweather, Shipfinder, Maritime Calculator, MarinaLife and the Sea Tow app.
Old 05-24-2013

Main Sail did a post on sailing apps: iSail: Seven apps to set sail to - CNN.com

Old 05-24-2013

Jnoel is on a distinguished road

Currently using Raymarine Remote (way cool), Tides and currents (Not Bad), Navionics on both iPhone and iPad. (just added the Advanced Marine Options (me likey).... some the features Easy View, Shallow Area, Depth Shading, Depth Contours and Seabed Area. Can't wait to try them out.....
Old 05-24-2013

vtsailguy is on a distinguished road

I recently bought an ipad, but just did not activate the #g verizon plan. The GPS chip will work without the cell activation.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Three mini-pirates scour the Caribbean Seas with stops for ice cream and legos
Latest blog post:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-11-2013

harmonysimone is on a distinguished road

The two apps that do not require internet that we use are Navionics for navigation and for checking tides and HF Fax, for uploading a weather fax from our HAM radio (you just plug it in to the radio and it interprets all of high pitched sounds).

When we have internet I like to download a gribsheet using PocketGrib and also download the weather files from passageweather.com to read in the PDF app. I also like NOAA Radar Pro for looking at weather and tracking hurricanes. When we had 3g out on the sea mAIS and MarineTraffic were nice for seeing traffic and also reporting our position. BuoyData was nice when we had 3g to see real time weather info.

Another thing I like to put on my pad is all of the frequencies and times for HAM nets for cruisers, that way I don't have to remember them.

Two apps I have that I've never really used are Marine Weather and BoatingCalcs, so I can't say if they're good or not. Would be curious if others have experience with them.

Since we started using the Delorme InReach (satellite tracker) we have another app that shows us our position and speed (called Earthmate). It also has an interface where we can essentially send and receive text messages.

I'm walking away from this thread with some other good suggestions! Excited to go put some NOAA charts on my iPad.

Last edited by harmonysimone; 07-11-2013 at 11:41 AM. Reason: New thought/addition