SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Apps & Authors (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/apps-authors/)
-   -   What are your favorite iPhone/iPad sailing apps? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/apps-authors/78260-what-your-favorite-iphone-ipad-sailing-apps.html)

NewportNewbie 09-03-2011 02:00 AM

What are your favorite iPhone/iPad sailing apps?

I have MotionX GPS to track my trips an give GPS directions. Has NOA charts. I also just got Yacht Weather to see my current weather conditions and forecasts for the area. Of course IBM using the Sailnet app right now (wish there was an iPad native app for full screen old support!). Any killer must have apps?

Thestar 09-03-2011 05:41 AM

Hi,
I have found vthe following helpfull.
Tideapp
Marine Weather
Sundroid
Saildroid
Windfinder
Magic Seaweed
Tide Prediction
AIS Marine Traffic
GPS Essentials
Google Sky

ALL available FREE in the MARKET PLACE,

CAUTION ...MY GPS on the phone does NOT work beyond 10-12 miles out at sea.
PLEASE DO NOT rely totally on the phone as your only marine aid.

I have two independant GPS systems that function beyond the 10-12 mile range they are Garmin H72 handheld andf I have an ASUS 10.5" notebook with 10hrs battery that has bluetooth GPS electronic charts.

I also carry full paper charts for ALL the areas I sail and always will.

Safety first :-)

Kindest Regards

Will

LinekinBayCD 09-03-2011 08:03 AM

I have several sailing apps:

Navionics, a mini chart plotter, it was about $10, cool but not as useful as my dedicated chart plotter at the helm

Ship finder, uses AIS signals to tell you where large vessels arein your area. It would be more useful if I was in an area with large vessels all over, maybe like Boston harbor.

Wind finder, gives wind conditions and preDictions at various locations but not local enough for my needs. I'm in Boothbay Harbor ME. Nearest location is South Portland.

Accuweather, not a sailing app but the one I use the most for their radar maps.

Until they come out with a waterproof iPhone that I can use in the dinghy when it is raining the apps are only semi useful to me but everyone's needs are different.

SVAuspicious 09-03-2011 10:37 AM

I have a double handful of apps for my iPhone. Charts & Tides with ActiveCaptain is without question the most useful to me.

My iPhone GPS continues to work several hundred miles offshore. The issue I have is that beyond cell phone range the phone keeps looking for a cell signal which draws the battery down. Airplane mode explicitly turns off the GPS.

NewportNewbie 09-03-2011 11:01 AM

Cool. Ever think about popping your sim card out so it stops looking for a cell signal? Just a thought.

SVAuspicious 09-03-2011 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewportNewbie (Post 769608)
Cool. Ever think about popping your sim card out so it stops looking for a cell signal? Just a thought.

Nope. Never thought of it. Excellent idea. Thank you. Karma has been credited to your account. *grin*

FarCry 09-03-2011 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LinekinBayCD (Post 769584)

Until they come out with a waterproof iPhone that I can use in the dinghy when it is raining the apps are only semi useful to me but everyone's needs are different.

I use Navionics. I started with Motion X and still have it installed but prefer Navionics.

I use the compass app to confirm the vessel mounted compass is in the ballpark. Some large disparities have been observed.:eek::eek::eek:

I use Wind Meter. Not everything I get on has instrumentation and sometimes it's fun to see how close I can guess the windspeed.

Not an app but a waterproof cover that lets me talk, take photos and use all the apps in rainy conditions is a product made by Aqua Box. I've no affiliation but love this device and find it much more useful than the standard small Pelican Box. Here is a link Aqua Box - Waterproof protection for your mobile smart device

Ritchard 09-07-2011 01:18 PM

On my recent transit of Lake Erie, I used Isailor on the Ipad with all the the charts for my trip installed. It was brilliant, with its pinching and swiping gestures, you could get so much information so fast. I had ordered a ram mount and stuck in on the pedestal. We found it especially useful for understanding exactly where you were in the middle of the night with no visual reference. And the price is right, the app is free, the charts for all of Lake Erie and most of Lake Ontario cost me $35.

SailingLazy 09-08-2011 04:04 PM

I've been using iNavx on an iPad this season. Nice chart plotter program that allows you to upload GRIB files and post your tracks to Facebook or export them. We have paper charts and a handheld GPS, but the iPad is our only chart plotter. Pretty happy with it so far.

centaursailor 09-09-2011 02:14 AM

Have recently purchased Navonics, all UK and Ireland, 20euro for my Nokia N8. Good value as East coast Ireland cost 130euro 5 years ago for my laptop.
Charts have good detail and appear up to date. The GPS function on the phone works intermittently :eek:and I haven't figured out the problem yet.
Was heading into port in the dark recently, harbour light out all summer, and was able to double check position on the plotter function. Was spot on.
I also have Wind Guru but without the direction arrows?, UKHO Easy Tide and our local met service set up.
A very useful sit here is In Your Footsteps(lite for phones), great entry, facility and why visit detail on all Irish harbours.
Safe sailing.